OMAC story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMAC story?

I've been unsuccessfully researching the OMAC-1 (Laser 300?), a turboprop, high-wing, canard, pusher prototype that was made in Stead, Nevada at the former OMAC (OLD MAN AIRCRAFT COMPANY), but I cannot seem to find anything about it on the web.

I use to follow it's development in airplane magazines in the 80's, and recall some faint, cloudy details (that may or may not be true), like the main gear collapsing on a test run or hard landing, the company running out of cash and eventually folding, and even the building it was once located in burning down, but was the full story of the man, the company and the plane ever written down anywhere?

I'm sure there's a fascinating story behind it.

The only stand-alone photo I've found via Google is a rubber-band model.

The only article I can find is this small one from '88, with photo:

Any insights, please?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-05-2008, 10:56 AM.

Re: OMAC story?

Cool looking plane.
    Cheers

Comment

The fuselage used to sit in the fenced-in bone yard on the East end of the parking lot.
      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
        The fuselage used to sit in the fenced-in bone yard on the East end of the parking lot.
        Last I saw it, (fuse only) it was in the parking lot 8 years ago.

I remember seeing it a few times while running launch and recovery for the gliders at stead. But I cannot fill you in on any credible info.

Sorry paint.

wolfee

Comment

All I know of it is it was metal vs. composite, was damafged like you said and sat next to the campground for a few years. There were articles in Air Progress back in the day, ya might try there. I no longer have those back issues.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

OK. Thx all. The only stuff I found was some reports of canard wind tunnel experiments done with it by NASA, possibly after the company collapsed (as was done with one airframe from LearFan).

Comment

now you are going to make me dig in all those boxes in the garage. somewhere i have pictures i took of it on its first flight. it could take a few days to find but i should be able to find at least one picture for you.
              bob burns
              ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
              "dont mess with texas"

Comment

If it hasnt been updated. Google earth it. You used to be able to see it.

Comment

I have some original prints somewhere

Comment

I was fortunate enough to be part of the OMAC team many years ago. Mr. Larry Hueberger was the designer. I personally carry a lot of respect for Mr. Hueberger's knowledge and contributions to the aviation industry. Mr. Carl Parrise (sp?) was financial backer, Parrise also owned Thermax steam cleaners. Thermax's building is the one that burnt down and the fire was before OMAC began. OMAC occupied a building on the same property, though. We did have to knock a wall down to get the plane out. There was approx. twenty fabricators (I was one), eight draftsmen, and ten managment personnel.

The main gear collapsed on landing after test pilot and copilot (had feet on instr. panel pushing) fought to keep aircraft aloft (elevator trim hooked up backwards ) fuesalage was rebuilt and testing continued.

OMAC moved to Georgia said for lower cost of manufacturing. Never made it because of financial problems. Years later airplane was purchased for scrap by Avaition Classics. Sat next to hanger for a couple of years. It was hard to see it like that. But it was quite the experience to be part of something from the ground up, and actually see it fly.

Comment

I remember walking by that building so many years ago, we looked in through one of the open doors and the gentleman inside was kind enough to give us a tour, it was impressinve for its time, I believe he told us it stood for Old Mans Aircraft Company?

Comment

Thank you very much for the story.

A shame that the aircraft didn't to move into production. Had things gone slightly differently with the prototype tests, there might have been examples flying today.

Comment

I was an Engineer in the structures group on the OMAC Laser 300 In Albany Georgia for nearly 4 years, and designed several pieces of the airplane, set up the static testing of the wings and landing gear, and did some of the aerodynamics. The Cheif of Structures was Gene Dearing, the Manager of Technical Services (basically the chief engineer) was Everett Cook, and Billy Vardaman was the VP of Engineerng, although he sadly died of a heart attack during the program.

The company struggled with financial difficulties which drove some decisions that ultimately slowed the program down and compromised the design.

The First prototype, we referred to as the OMAC I was built in Nevada and was the airplane that had a gear issue. The Laser 300 was to be pressurized and designed to fly higher, about 25,000 ft if my memory is correct. The prototype didn't have the pressurization system in it. The airplane had a very large fuselage cross section and a very efficient wing. Good payload range performance and low fuel consumption. Because the PT6-135 engine is a reverse flow engine, it was well suited to a pusher configuration. We hoped to compete with the Cessna Caravan on package delivery, and Fed Ex was interested.

For financial reasons, they had to close the wing before all the flight control bell cranks and pulley brackets could be installed, so that work all had to be done through the access holes, once the parts arrived. That cost months. After working 14-18 hour days 7 days a week for months getting ready for first flight, the first flight party was epic. (Although I am not sure the Albany police department would have seen it that way).

The gross weight was a bit of a moving target throughout the program, which resulted in a somewhat under strength landing gear, because it was designed early, before the increase to 7,200 lb. The empty weight was also a bit of an issue, it turned out higher than it should have been, but we weren't quite sure where the weight was. We ended up with a lot of shims to get stuff to fit that weren't necessary in the design, so that was part of it.

It was very comfortable inside, especially with the executive interior in the mock up. Stand up room, if you weren't too tall.

The strake tanks that you see in the pictures added a lot of drag, and Maury Thibodeau, our weights engineer at the time, came up with a way of putting fuel in the forward and main wings that would have eliminated them and simplified the fuel system, but we never got to try that out.

Comment

Google has misc. links to aid with your research:

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Comment

I was also at the Albany, GA facility in 85-86. I was working on the Strake tank designs and forward pressure bulkhead. The completed forward section was delivered and being assembled and the wing build was also going on before I left for other opportunities.
                              It was a very cool concept aircraft that we all hoped would be in the skies one day. Very rewarding to have worked on a new concept aircraft that was as unique as the Laser 300.
                              A great team of individuals that were passionate about airplanes for sure. Just not enough funding to make it all a reality I guess.

"Old Man's Aircraft Company" is correct!

Comment

Working...
                              X