Biplane for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biplane for sale

If you wanted to build up and race a biplane, there is a Hyper Bipe airframe on GovDeals going for cheap!

Re: Biplane for sale

Would a HB even qualify for the Bipe class? I'd think it would fall under the Sport class since its bigger. It could be cool if it could be built to fit the classification.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
      Would a HB even qualify for the Bipe class? I'd think it would fall under the Sport class since its bigger. It could be cool if it could be built to fit the classification.

Will
      Oh, I don't know. I just thought they had raced in the past, maybe I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post

Will
        Put a 360 in it with a fixed pitch prop and it would be legal for the biplane class. Bipes are not allowed in Sport class because of visibility issues. Someone went to PRS in a Pitts Model 12 a few years ago with the intention of running Sport class, but it wasn't allowed to race. Plus it would be pretty hard to have a bipe fast enough to qualify for the sport class field now. Even the medallion group is pretty fast.

Comment

HiperBipe DOES NOT comply with the Sport Biplane class eligibility rules, as it doesn't have the top wing supported via a cabane structure.

Reference "Professional Race Pilots Association, Specifications and Rules for the Sport Biplane Class, Version 1.7, dated March 1, 2019"

1. Definition of a Biplane
          B. The top wing shall be cabane or pylon mounted, sufficiently above the fuselage to identify it as a top wing.

It most likely wouldn't meet the required visibility requirements, either, but that is merely a guess.

Sam Swift
          Biplane #3
          Biplane Race #3

Comment

Originally posted by flyboycpa View Post
            HiperBipe DOES NOT comply with the Sport Biplane class eligibility rules, as it doesn't have the top wing supported via a cabane structure.

Reference "Professional Race Pilots Association, Specifications and Rules for the Sport Biplane Class, Version 1.7, dated March 1, 2019"

1. Definition of a Biplane
            B. The top wing shall be cabane or pylon mounted, sufficiently above the fuselage to identify it as a top wing.

It most likely wouldn't meet the required visibility requirements, either, but that is merely a guess.

Sam Swift
            Biplane #3
            Guess there were a lot of changes since this one showed up at Reno in 1970:

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
              Guess there were a lot of changes since this one showed up at Reno in 1970:

http://airpigz.com/blog/2011/12/2/so...reno-1970.html
              Yes, there have been changes. For a time, there were Racing Biplanes and Sport Biplanes. The Sorceress and small number of others fit into the Racing Biplane Class. But that configuration was banned for Biplanes long ago.

The Sorceress, Sundancer and the Amsoil-Rutan Racer were interesting to watch, though. I remember how thrilled I was to see Mortensen stand up after his accident at the scatter pylon in the A.R.R.
              Last edited by FlyKidChris; 06-30-2019, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X