Corsair Hiding In Old Stead Bear Cave 3-14-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corsair Hiding In Old Stead Bear Cave 3-14-2020

So my son and me are coming back from a dump run, we take the scenic drive through the Stead airport. Drive past the old Bear Cave it looks like bent wings through the window.

Stop, walk over and jump my short ass up past the window and sure enough, there's a corsair in there.

Its light blue and has a what looks like a skull and crossbones on the front cowling?

Anyone know something?

Re: Corsair Hiding In Old Stead Bear Cave 3-14-2020

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
    Anyone know something?
    Yes and no... 99% sure if it’s a light blue Corsair with skull and crossbones it’s the ex-Chuck Wentworth N11Y. I think Joel was ferrying it to the new owner last month and it shows that it’s being transferred to “Gary Heck”. I guess he would be the new owner. Don’t know why it’s at Stead though. Maybe Gary’s a racer
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      Yes and no... 99% sure if it’s a light blue Corsair with skull and crossbones it’s the ex-Chuck Wentworth N11Y. I think Joel was ferrying it to the new owner last month and it shows that it’s being transferred to “Gary Heck”. I guess he would be the new owner. Don’t know why it’s at Stead though. Maybe Gary’s a racer
      Thats it.

Thanks for the reply young man.

Comment

Gary Heck is the head of Korbel in Guerneville, CA. The pending registration for N11Y matches the Korbel Winery address. I understand he's also into drag racing. Maybe we will see this Corsair on the course!

Comment

Originally posted by Kegger View Post
          Gary Heck is the head of Korbel in Guerneville, CA. The pending registration for N11Y matches the Korbel Winery address. I understand he's also into drag racing. Maybe we will see this Corsair on the course!
          I was trying to find out more info on Gary Heck, appreciate the notes! Wineries, Sherman Smoot, relationships... hmmm... Interesting that it's in the Bear Cave. I wonder how that came to be? Hope she's there waiting for PRS!!!
          Last edited by GRNDP51; 03-16-2020, 01:44 PM.
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Owner is storing it in Stead for a few month before it moves to it's new home in CA.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
              Owner is storing it in Stead for a few month before it moves to it's new home in CA.
              Santa Rosa or Shellville?
              remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

It would look just fine with race numbers on it!

https://youtu.be/SCxPAEdP-iI
                Random Air Blog

Comment

Samual,

Thats a nice air to air shot. Yes, she would look awesome rounding the pylons.

And he sure would get some enjoyment using her that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                    Santa Rosa or Shellville?
                    Not sure

Comment

I have to guess its going to Santa Rosa or possibly the Nut Tree. I haven't heard anything about a new Corsair at Schellville. The Couches P51H is now based at Nut tree, so its possible that they are trying to entice more Warbirds there.

Will

Comment

Unless they just have it rounding the pylons stock they would need a lot of mods to really race it & I think those days are over. Just my opinion. It looks great as is.
                        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Bob,

Yes, just to watch him fly and experience the sound is all me and my grandkids would expect. No race numbers needed.

Come to Reno fly them low around the pylons!

Last edited by Desertdawg; 03-20-2020, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Gary lives in Santa Rosa and is the owner of Korbel Winery. The winery is located in Gurneville. Most likely choice would be storing it in Santa Rosa, he only lives a few miles from the Santa Rosa airport. He probably has it in Nevada for tax purposes like Vicky did with her P51 Mustang.

Comment

[QUOTE=Airrace7;139824 He probably has it in Nevada for tax purposes like Vicky did with her P51 Mustang.[/QUOTE]

Bingo, that's it. 90 days before bringing it back to CA

In case he cruises by this site? Maybe I can get a invite whenever he's up here checking her out so I can drive over and take some shots.

Some shots on the Stead ramp when she's leaving
                              Last edited by Desertdawg; 03-25-2020, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X