A Sea Fury Fan's Lament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sea Fury Fan's Lament

I'll be blunt...most people aren't giving "Hoot" Gibson in 2-3-2 (Sept. Fury), the World's Fastest Sea Fury, a chance in a hot place to come anywhere close to victory this year. Not too happy about that one.
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Re: A Sea Fury Fan's Lament

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
    I'll be blunt...most people aren't giving "Hoot" Gibson in 2-3-2 (Sept. Fury), the World's Fastest Sea Fury, a chance in a hot place to come anywhere close to victory this year. Not too happy about that one.
    Well, sometimes the truth hurts. There are at least three airplanes that are faster (given that they are healthy on Sunday). If some luck and breakage goes their way, 232 could win.

Comment

At this point, its anyone's race. I say good luck to all.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
        Rookie you gonna lement from 3000 miles away, or are you actually coming out to view in person this year?

The World's Fastest Sea Fury is still 15-20 mph slower than the two fastest Mustangs....no matter how happy you are about it.

Comment

wha? The way he flew last year, I pretty much expecting to see him mixin' it up at the front of the field. Matt and Steveo will be dealing with new rides and the Bear has had it's issues. Wish them all the best, but I kinda think will see a knock-down/drag-out tussle with 232 and PM. Familiarity with equipment counts for a lot.

Comment

I'm gonna say 38 is gonna be well in front of 232 if both are healthy, (Hypothetically speaking) I am looking at PM chewing some tailfeathers off of 5 & 7 if not leading the pack.

Comment

I would throw in that in recent history, Strega didn't have to push hard for the entire race. If Voodoo stays healthy and both run each other ragged, there is a chance that whoever is in good position behind them may benefit from a Merlin/Merlins in self-destruct mode. Add in the ? of the info that Hoot will be able to push the 3350 harder this year in 232, the return of Czech Mate, the mods to the Bear, and the mods to PM, and I feel like it is really anyone's race.

Comment

Originally posted by omalley1537 View Post
                I would throw in that in recent history, Strega didn't have to push hard for the entire race. If Voodoo stays healthy and both run each other ragged, there is a chance that whoever is in good position behind them may benefit from a Merlin/Merlins in self-destruct mode. Add in the ? of the info that Hoot will be able to push the 3350 harder this year in 232, the return of Czech Mate, the mods to the Bear, and the mods to PM, and I feel like it is really anyone's race.
                Got to agree with that. Strega's fast, but she hasn't been seriously challenged for the past 4 years. I mentally put Voodoo in the same bucket since they're so similar. I hope to see a Race 5 win, but we'll see.

I feel that PM has had too much work done to recently to be a top contender. Something's bound to go wrong at some point. I think 2014 will be their year to really bring it.

To the OP, I think 232 has a very good chance this year. Gonna be a good race!

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                  Rookie you gonna lement from 3000 miles away, or are you actually coming out to view in person this year?
                  Time and money...and yes, I may be 29, but I've been following the races since I was 4
                  -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

for some things you just have to make the time... money, id beg borrow or steal to get there... what are you going to do if this is the last one? (heaven forbid) ;-)
                    Todd Smith

Comment

232 has every bit of potential to go as fast on this course, as Strega, Dago, or VooDoo EVER have.

But with that said, the Witch still has another 20-30mph that we simply have not seen....

- Joseph

Comment

A Sea Fury has one thing not in it's favor. Wetted area vs. HP. The Bear has the same engine and less wetted area. Then add in getting all that weight around a tighter and tighter course. It's not about lack of faith or talent. It's just math.

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                          232 has every bit of potential to go as fast on this course, as Strega, Dago, or VooDoo EVER have.

But with that said, the Witch still has another 20-30mph that we simply have not seen....

- Joseph
                          Joseph, please, I know it's getting close.

But it's time to but the crack pipe down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                            Joseph, please, I know it's getting close.

But it's time to but the crack pipe down.
                            Lol, he's not alone either.

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                              A Sea Fury has one thing not in it's favor. Wetted area vs. HP. The Bear has the same engine and less wetted area. Then add in getting all that weight around a tighter and tighter course. It's not about lack of faith or talent. It's just math.
                              I agree on the weight and wetted area.

My plus points for this particular Sea Fury:

1. Great wing design to begin with, further profiled by the old MB crew.
                              2. Being bedfellows with with the Hinton brothers at Chino.
                              3. Hoot's racing line...smooth, tight and clean...looked like he was hugging the corners quite well last year.
                              4. Wing length...don't get me wrong, I loved the way 232 looked with the old Critical Mass / Miss Merced short wings, but it was probably not enough wing for that big airframe to stay tight in the corners at speed. I'm thinking that the move back to stock length (which 232 won with in 2006) was a wise call to begin with, and with the course being tightened again, those "long" wings could pay dividends in the corners.

And let's not forget that this Sea Fury already has a history of silencing the nay-sayers
                              -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Working...
                              X