35mm Slides to CD - options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35mm Slides to CD - options

I have quite a few slides of Warbird airshows and Reno back to 1979 or so and would like to have them copied over to a CD. What is the best way to go about this. Tried the scanner attachments with some of the scanners and it just doesn't work well at all. Is a dedicated slide reader the best way to go, or does anyone know of an inexpensive shop somewhere that can do it.

Thanks in advance.

Warren Laurendine
    Crewmember
    Race 22
    "Two of Hearts"

Re: 35mm Slides to CD - options

I went through the same thing you are about 5 years ago.
    Dedicated scanner's seems to be the way to go. At that time they were very expensive >$1000 and so were the services (just checked locally) for the amount of negs/slides I had. I wasn't ready to spend that much at the time so, I asked around and found an aquaintance that had one. It worked good for the few we did. I never did purchase one and finish what I wanted to do.
    Hope this helps.
    Jeff Loewe
    www.jlofoto.com

Comment

I did the same (dedicated) around '99 or so. Bought the SCSI version of the HP PhotoSmart slide scanner. Something like $500. at the time. Worked reasonably well but the results were far inferior to the higher end units.

I hated the process so much (tedium) that when Nikon came out with the VERY spendy ($5000.) D1 (first generation DSLR) I went into hock and got one.

Just had to scan a negative the other day and man did that bring back memories!

Depending on the results you want to get (best versus OK) a lower end dedicated might do for you. There are some pretty cheap (around a hundred bux) transparancy scanners though, and I've seen the results and they were not very good.

Good luck!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Scanning lots of slides on any sort of home scanner is a major user of time. I just sent a friend to a place here in Santa Barbara (Color Services), and they charged him a dollar and change each for very good quality scans to CD. Its a standard service for them.

There are lot's of companies on line or in local communities who offer film to disc scanning services. They use fast professional calibrated equipment. Chances are the most you will have to do is dust clean up on the ones you want to print or post. The investment in dollars may be bigger than the price of a scanner, but the savings in time and frustration will be enormous.
        No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
        http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Just got this in from Costco..

SLIDE SCANNER Never heard of the brand but it might be good. Decent price anyway.

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks guys....with over 500 slides, I think I'll probably keep checking locally for someone who can do it....reasonably....

Still working on picking up the Canon 30d... let's see just over 25 days to get it and learn how to use it...hehe.....might not be able to swing it before the races, so it may be 35mm for one more year...oh well.... but I haven't given up....

Warren

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
              Just got this in from Costco..

I have that same HP scanner you mentioned, (S10). My computer with the SCSI interface just died, and so I am looking for a replacement scanner with USB. Just tried an Epson 4490 Photo. Had some good reviews. Forget that, completely inferior. I was suspicous of flatbed scanners for film, but it was worth a try.

So, let us know how that Costco scanner works for you.

Dan Plunkett

Comment

Chosen at random from the net, but they're having a sale until the end of the month.

Larsen Digital is a digital conversion service provider, bringing your memories to the digital age. Call us today! 801-782-5155

$.50 per slide is a deal. It will take you continual effort for weeks or months to scan 500 slides.
                No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Being about as cheap as a guy can be, I started experimenting with this. Here's something worth a try. It's been working for me with old drag race photos and shots from Vietnam.

You've got slides, you've got a projector, you've got a screen, you've got a digital camera right?

Make sure your slides and projector lens are dust-free. Project the slides in a pitch black room as large as possible without degradation. With your digital camera on a tripod of course, fill the camera's frame with the projected slide, or the portion of it you want to capture. Take your best shot. Now you're digital. You know the rest of the drill.

They may not be perfect but they're decent and you'll view and share them more in this format.

In case you're thinking of projecting them onto backlit print material, I can tell you that it creates way more hot spots than a reflected image on a screen. If you're not into graphics, backlit film or print material is the material backlit signs are printed on.

Go ahead, try it, it's free!
                  Scott Adie
                  www.osgfx.com

Comment

Scott,

Thanks for the idea. I'll will give it a try. No digital camera yet,

It arrives on Monday

Canon 30d/ with 18-55mm kit lens and the 28-135mm IS lens.

I think that will do for many of the pictures I take. Will eventually pick up the 100-400L IS for the more distant shots, but I can always rent one for about $65.00 for the week of Reno if needed...Most of the races I usually get on video anyway.

Can't wait to start using it and get myself up to speed on its controls.

Warren

Comment

Originally posted by Race 22 Crew
                      Scott,
                      Thanks for the idea. I'll will give it a try. No digital camera yet,
                      It arrives on Monday
                      Canon 30d/ with 18-55mm kit lens and the 28-135mm IS lens.
                      Can't wait to start using it and get myself up to speed on its controls.

Warren
                      You're gonna love it. I shoot with a 10D and am very satisfied with it. Wanna know one of the coolest things about digital?

Your photography takes on a whole new freedom when you're worried about the expense of experimenting with film. I have a long, long way to go but I sure have got some interesting results trying lots of things I wouldn't have worked at very hard if I were paying to shoot film.

I shot about 400 or so images at the Air Races and other than having shooting at to fast a shutter speed that froze the props, 90% of them were pretty darn good.

Have a blast with it and post some of your results. Soon I will post all my images on my web site below.
                      Scott Adie
                      www.osgfx.com

Comment

Working...
                      X