California 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California 1000

Take a trip back in the time machine courtesy of my father's home movies.....

California 1000 at Mojave

California 1000 at Brown Field

I've never seen any film footage of these events. I was at the Brown Field race. Vivid memories even though I was 7 years old.

In the absence of anything else, I'd say this stuff is fabulous !!! I hope you all like it too !!!

Steve Guilford.....>>>
    Steve Guilford

Re: California 1000

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about close quarters take offs!

Cool stuff. Thanks for posting.

How did you digitize the movie footage?

I would assume it's 8mm?

Brian(aka B2)

Comment

Brian....there's a digitization service that I used in Northridge Ca. It is 8mm....
      Steve Guilford

Comment

OH Man....

This is just so cool. Thanks a lot for sharing. Footage like this is just unbeliveable.

T J

Comment

cool stuff my dad has some home movies from Reno71 and i think the 74 Gold race. shawn

Comment

That's just insane - thanks for the post my friend. Great stuff
            Mark K....

Comment

Great stuff....thanks for posting!
              Red
              chanting...400+

Comment

thanks for posting these movies... awesome to see the scattered takeoffs... especially the DC-6 & A26 amongst all the mustangs etc
                race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

thanks for sharing!

It was great to see good ole RACE 64 take to the sky again!

Comment

What years where the Mojave races? I went with my Dad and uncle in the mid 70's. My uncle knew Dick Rutan through land sailing and got us out on one of the pylons. I was probably only 5 at the time but I can still remember it quite clearly.

Comment

from 1971 till 1979 Shawn

Comment

I think we were there around 76 or 77. I can still rememeber the Red Barron and wathing the planes fly by when we were out at the pylons. I'd kill for another opportunity to do that.

Comment

Those are nice videos. The one from the Mojave race is taken in the fuelling paddock which was inside the race course.

To answer the one person's question, there was a 1000 mile race at Mojave in 1970. In 1971 there was a 1000 Kilometer race. Both of those were 'Unlimited only'.

From 1973 through 1976, and from 1978 through 1979 Air Race Management held four/five class-races in format similar to Reno.

No races were held in 1972 or 1977, though in 1977 the USARA (an outgrowth of the old PRPA, and what is NAG these days) held a pylon racing seminar there.

The other video was from the United States Cup which was held at Brown Field outside of San Diego in 1971. It too was a 1000 mile race. 10 laps around a 10 mile course. Kind of gave me goosebumps to see Ron Reynolds/Mike Geren fly by in the #66 Bearcat...knowing what happened next.
                          Last edited by Big_Jim; 12-17-2009, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I was also at Brown field for the 1000 mile race. Yes I was only 10 and it was the first air race I ever saw but I've loved air racing ever since.

Over and out...
                            '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

They also had a symposim at Cal City my dad went down there around 74 ? shawn

Comment

Working...
                              X