Bardahl Special 2023?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bardahl Special 2023?

Some rumors floating around on Facebook that Voodoo is being de-race prepared (temporarily) in order to race prepare another certain white Mustang. Dog house/scoop are completely off Voodoo as of yesterday. Would be quite the treat to see if a clipped wing, lightly aero modded, Vintage V12's tube Merlin Bardahl would be able to stand toe-to-toe with Dread and Miss A. Hoping this is true, but it's sounding promising!
    Reno from '99 to '22

How would this combination compare with Dan Martin's 2009 effort with Ridge Runner?

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
      How would this combination compare with Dan Martin's 2009 effort with Ridge Runner?
      I'd guess it could prove to be very similar. Oddly enough, the same parts that were on RRIII are now on Miss A. This could make for an interesting race.

Will

Comment

A lot depends on who is driving it, but with a good stick, the Nixon motor would give them a huge leg up.

Comment

Definitely similar and the parts are already made and proven which makes this a quicker process (hence why they are planning on doing this over the next 3 months). We'll see the extent of what gets transferred over, looks like it'll be a lot though.

My outlier question is if Bardahl can run 400+ with the wrap knowing that Andy started having issues with his around these speeds. I'm not sure if wrap type varies, but it seems like Bardahl's is about as expensive as it gets so maybe it can hold up.

Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Very fascinating news, although tinged with sadness that it all but confirms Voodoo won't even be static at Stead in September.
            Zac in NZ

Comment

These aren't rumors...
              "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
                These aren't rumors...
                Haha
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                  Some rumors floating around on Facebook that Voodoo is being de-race prepared (temporarily) in order to race prepare another certain white Mustang. Dog house/scoop are completely off Voodoo as of yesterday. Would be quite the treat to see if a clipped wing, lightly aero modded, Vintage V12's tube Merlin Bardahl would be able to stand toe-to-toe with Dread and Miss A. Hoping this is true, but it's sounding promising!
                  Where on Facebook?

Comment

Originally posted by cragdweller View Post

Where on Facebook?
                    The reno air racing fan group. On a post with voodoo being taken apart.

Here's An exact quote from Chad Dale of the Sander's crew, "Parts of Voodoo will be going on another plane .this much I know".
                    Last edited by THE BEARMAN #77; 06-10-2023, 11:52 AM.

Comment

And what unlimited pilot showed up at PRS whos normal ride is being robbed for parts...
                      "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by THE BEARMAN #77 View Post
                        The reno air racing fan group. On a post with voodoo being taken apart.
                        Interesting read... sounds like there's still some room for some surprises after all. Good, stiff competition always brings out the best in any racing team - Reno 2023 is getting better and better
                        Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
                          Very fascinating news, although tinged with sadness that it all but confirms Voodoo won't even be static at Stead in September.
                          Not confirmed, but I think Ole Yeller and Strega could be in RARA's "heritage display" at the very least. Strega was moved into the maintenance hangar with Voodoo last weekend, and considering there was talk about Bagley racing Ole Yeller, him not being at PRS makes me think he'll at least bring it to the display.
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                            Not confirmed, but I think Ole Yeller and Strega could be in RARA's "heritage display" at the very least.
                            My fingers are firmly crossed - that would be terrific!
                            Zac in NZ

Comment

This news got me to thinking... since this doesn't appear to be a rumor - it certainly is a major league ambitious timeline! One would think that 3 months before Reno is pushing things a bit, and we all know those guys down in SoCal know their stuff. If any group can pull this off its them, without a doubt.

Initially I thought that they had three months...three months to Reno is pretty tight - now let's discuss why 3 months just went to less than 2!!!

I'm sure the teams are aware of all the rules, but are the fans? One of them concerns modifying an aircraft for unlimited competition.

If a major modification or major alteration has been incorporated on any aircraft since the last time the aircraft raced at Reno or within the last twelve (12) month period preceding the anticipated race month, all provisions established by the FAA for a major modification or major alteration, through the FAA approved Operating Limitations, must be accomplished, and documented in the aircraft records prior to arrival at Reno/Stead (RTS). Such documentation and related correspondence shall be made available to the FAA and RARA at Pilot Registration and to the Class Aircraft Compliance Inspection Team prior to or during, the inspection of the aircraft.

But the biggie is what's contained later in the text...

A flight flutter analysis, test plan and test results will be submitted to verify that the aircraft will safely operate within the structural limits and not be in the flutter region at anticipated race speeds and load factors within the anticipated race flight envelope. The flight test results must be documented to confirm that the potential race pilot will be operating within the flight envelope, at anticipated race speeds, and race power settings. Flight testing must be completed, documented, and submitted by the race aircraft owner/operator to RARA and the Reno FSDO not later than August 15 each race year prior to any participation in a NCAR event.

Maybe we should just call those guys "the Incredibles" because even taking on a project with this type of deadline is astounding. To get it through the modification process and have all testing done before 8/15? Damn, that's incredible . Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I don't think so and there doesn't appear to be a lot of latitude given to go beyond the rules here.

If any event we're about to see a lot of work coming out of the SoCal boys - and that can only build the excitement before Reno!
                              Mark K....

Comment

Working...
                              X