Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Brent sent me a video a few hours ago showing Rick Shanholtzer running-up the Merlin in Miss America. With that said there are two possibilities depending on time constraints (and assuming no metal in the screens that would indicate engine failure). One has Brent departing later today after the test flight(s) stopping off at Albuquerque for fuel and then continuing onto Kingman, AZ to stop for the night. Departing Kingman the next day to make Stead by noon. The other scenario is finish engine & flight testing today, departing Saturday for Stead arriving sometime that afternoon. Both options have Miss A arriving well before the deadline at 11:59PM. I found it interesting that Brent chose a route (OKC to ABQ 5o Kingman, AZ) that keeps him over I40 for 3/4 of his flight.... a built-in emergency runway right below you is one heck of a safety net. Come to find out this is why he's flown that same route since the beginning of his racing career.

I should be at the hangar just after the motor tests so those results and more later this evening.
    Mark K....

Comment

Good to hear. That said, there is a fire just east of Sacramento that is pushing a lot of smoke over the hill to Reno. It might not be an issue, it might be a very big issue if he finds himself arriving toward dusk for some reason. I'm guessing Miss A isn't IFR rated.

Good to hear things are falling into place. I hope Brent has a safe easy flight out.

See ya Sunday.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
        Good to hear. That said, there is a fire just east of Sacramento that is pushing a lot of smoke over the hill to Reno. It might not be an issue, it might be a very big issue if he finds himself arriving toward dusk for some reason. I'm guessing Miss A isn't IFR rated.

Good to hear things are falling into place. I hope Brent has a safe easy flight out.

See ya Sunday.

Will
        I'll certainly pass along that info to Doc. Thanks for the heads up.

Looking forward to meeting you
        Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
          Brent sent me a video a few hours ago showing Rick Shanholtzer running-up the Merlin in Miss America.
          If I send you the login information for the ftp server can you upload the video? I can get it on YouTube and then onto FB and here?

Actually better yet, give you my Youtube login and you can just upload directly to there?
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
            My memory has faded (as previously mentioned LOL) but it just came to me that I've sat in the stands waiting for this or that airplane to arrive before deadline, it was never at midnight, it was during the day to create suspense and drama. Again, memory is borked, anyone remember if I'm right/wrong? Sure would make more marketing sense to make a big deal about Miss America arriving by Noon Sunday... IF they can make it... tick tick tick.. Crap, if you were really beating the bushes and promoted this sort of thing, you could not buy better PR chit?

Truly, this is the kind of stuff people absolutely devour if properly presented.

I hope the Unlimited Class members as well as RARA do everything they can to ensure Miss A is there for them to compete against.
            It was Precious Metal, don't remember the year. Made the deadline by minutes.

Comment

Took the video, uploaded to uTube, here's the link

Mark K....

Comment

I just texted Doc and wished him a safe trip, they could well be on their way ey Mark??? Can't hardly wait till you get out there after work... !!
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Plane Nuts View Post
                  It was Precious Metal, don't remember the year. Made the deadline by minutes.
                  If I remember correctly PM showed up REALLY late one year and was part of the reason for the rule change. The following year they barely made it by the new deadline that had been set.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                    I just texted Doc and wished him a safe trip, they could well be on their way ey Mark??? Can't hardly wait till you get out there after work... !!
                    I've been watching FlightAware and haven't seen any action yet. For the past few years every flight has been tracked so I would assume it'll show up when she's in the air.
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I sort of get the feeling that we're collectively all on the same exact page today! I've been on the edge of my seat for days now. Counting the minutes until Markers gets off work!
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                        If I remember correctly PM showed up REALLY late one year and was part of the reason for the rule change. The following year they barely made it by the new deadline that had been set.
                        Only further proving that, just maybe, if you're going through the effort to bring your raceplane from far from RENO, you're given a bit of slack.. maybe even a bit more slack. I know the crowd would love being a part of a countdown... a thing like this could bring great excitement if properly executed , meaning, set the clock for when you're sure they are "getting close" then start it... WOW... everyone would be on the same edge of their seats that we are today! There can be a bit of "show business" in sport and still be sport!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Took the video, uploaded to uTube, here's the link
                          "Dago Red Race Motor Testing"? Is that a hint?

Comment

With the extended deadline the crew seems to be taking their time with the engine testing. The crew will be doing a test flight later tomorrow, do a final check, then fly out to Stead. So far most everything is going well for the most part. The one exception to this would be that the team did find a very minor leak in the prop governor which will be monitored and if needed, repaired after arrival at Stead.

Great news - after 4+ hours run time the screen "looked really good" according to engine builder Rick Shanholtzer. This was the second check of the screen (first one shows good as well) so Rick told Scotty to get Miss A tied down for the final run-in. With everything looking good, this last test will be when Rick adds some serious power to the aircraft... gotta be tied down for that.

More soon!!!!!!
                            Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by shadow View Post
                              "Dago Red Race Motor Testing"? Is that a hint?
                              No, that's what they call old age my friend. LOL
                              I'll have to go back and change that - thanks!
                              Mark K....

Comment

No, that's what they call old age my friend. LOL
                                I'll have to go back and change that - thanks!
                                LAUGHING MY ASS OFF!! You had me too Markers!! Boy MissA's motor sound SWEET! Very crisp and clean sounding... LOVING IT!!!
                                Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X