Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 NCAR Unlimited Gold Contenders

So here is my list of potential Sunday Gold racers for this year:

1. Strega #7/ Rare Bear #77 - The Witch has been virtually untouchable for the past few years, but the Bear is about due for a win...and with the continued refinements made, it could be a thorn in the inline contigent's side this year.

2. Rare Bear #77/ Strega #7 - Rare Bear has all the money in the world behind it with Rod Lewis as owner, and the potential is ever present with what John Penney has described as "the best engine this aircraft has ever seen". But it will take a lot to catch little Stev-o in Strega.
    (DISCLAIMER: I put Strega and Rare Bear as a toss-up for the win, because I honestly don't know which will be faster this year.)

3. September Fury #232 - Rod Lewis's #2 hot rod has shown her colors in the past (2006 win @ 482 mph) and showed her potential when she returned last year with Hoot Gibson at the stick qualifying her close to 470 mph with a stock-ish engine and no slow nose case before the piston burned out. But 232 will need that case and a hotter engine if she wants to catch the Witch and it's teammate, Rare Bear.

4. Czech Mate # 86 - It has been announced that Sherman Smoot will be bringing the "Giant Killer" back to PRS this summer, and she showed her new potential in 2009 with a 464 mph. With a 3-year break to refine the airframe, she could shock some of the big boys, but it will take a lot of luck...broken engines in front...miracles...to be first. It would be fun to see the little underdog do it, though.

5. Furias #15 - The big Sea Fury turned some heads last year as she returned after an 8-year hiatus. Mat Jackson hinted at what she could possibly do, qualifying her right behind the Ghost and probably not pushing her as hard as he could have. Sunday practice runs were reportedly faster. We'll see if she challenges 232 for the title of World's Fastest Sea Fury given that both aircraft have very similar modifications. Oh, and I'd love to see the proposed paint job come around.

6. Dreadnought #8 - The Buick continues her march around the pylons. even though she hasn't won a race since the '80's, she has still won the most total money of all Gold racers due to more podium finishes than we can count. We'll see which racers she can keep behind her massive wake this year.

7. Precious Metal #38 - The only remaining Mixmaster Mustang made its long awaited return last year with new paint that still highlights the "Metal" theme and with former IF1 and Jet class pilot Thom Richard at the stick. It ran into problems getting to Reno and while it was there, particularly because it reportedly had not used its spraybar cooling system until the heat races. We could see 450 mph+ speeds this year, as it reportedly was not pushed past 50% power in last year's heat races and with more fine tuning being done in the offseason. It would be a stretch to say that it will push the front runners much, but it could give Dreadnought issues if she stays healthy. More airframe drag reduction will be needed (in my opinion, particularly with the belly scoop) if it wants to become a resurrected Red Baron.

8. Sawbones #71 - Last year saw impressive speed gains for this semi-stock Sea Fury, effectively placing it in the place of the late Howard Pardue's Fury, Stu Dawson's might-be-returning Spirit of Texas, and the now overseas Riff Raff. I'm predicting a repeat of last year, with a win in the 1st Silver heat race bumping it to the Gold heat race on Friday.

9. Miss America #11 - Doc Hisey has been slowly but surely bringing the legendary P-51's speeds up year after year. She has modifications that remind me of RRIII, so speed potential is there. Maybe Doc can get her past Sawbones this year.

10. (upset alert) Super Corsair #74 - The 1947 Cleveland Races Thompson Trophy winner nearly caught Argonaut at the finish line in Friday's Silver heat race last year. I look for her to put her gorgeous self past Argonaut as the winner of Sunday's Silver race with Bob Odegaard choosing to bump into Gold for history's sake.

Anyone else have a potential line-up or prediction???
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Re: 2012 NCAR Unlimited Gold Contenders

I would have to essentially agree with your post, however....
    Steadfast will be in the gold....
    Furias will be giving the bear a hardy run for it's money...
    Czech Mate will post her fastest speeds, by far...

But at the end of the day, I really don't see Strega falling an less short than 1st..

And on the bubble? We better see new owners for #5 this month, if there's a chance at a return and gold pursuit from Voodoo.

Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
      So here is my list of potential Sunday Gold racers for this year:
      A "silly season thread".... .now that's what I'm talkin' about!!!

Mine: Whiteside and company come up with a new prop for Steadfast, its intended purpose is to beat the RB record TTC... he does not beat the record but it is discovered that this modified prop adds a huge amount of speed at full power at a specific altitude.. you guessed it.. just over 4,800'... he aces top qual speed and dominates the week at the Reno National Championship Air Races, staying out front, avoiding terrible turbulence behind those trying to catch him...

What finally happens on Sunday???

Book your Reno hotel rooms now!!!!

Big Voice= SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY... BEEE THERE!!!

Now, where'd I leave my pipe???

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
        I would have to essentially agree with your post, however....
        Steadfast will be in the gold....
        Furias will be giving the bear a hardy run for it's money...
        Czech Mate will post her fastest speeds, by far...

But at the end of the day, I really don't see Strega falling an less short than 1st..

And on the bubble? We better see new owners for #5 this month, if there's a chance at a return and gold pursuit from Voodoo.

Joseph
        I definitely want someone to man up and buy Voodoo with intent to race it. I'm a hardcore round engine man, but I always want more racer flavor, and Strega needs another V-12 competitor. Only Radials OR only Inlines = boring...well, more boring than a variety of machines :-D

Plus, Voodoo is too pretty for us not to see her again...
        "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
        -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Strega, the package to beat.
          Bear, I think they will break the super duper motor going for all the records. But with a stock motor she is very fast still.
          Furious, if it survives the daily thrashes.
          CzechMate if it can get around Dreadnought at the start.
          Dreadnought.
          PreciousMetal
          SeptFury, running the same motor and in a finished paintjob.
          Sawbones, cause thats one bad plane!
          Miss America
          Super Corsair in the gold would be a hoot for sure.
          Any of the Tigercats, what a sight, like in 2010. Both in the silver for the win!

Comment

Through a large contingent of stockers, Sparky wins the silver (again, OK last time she WAS second)) and bumps into the gold. One by one the "bad boys of Air Racing" (can't resist) either drop out or cut multiple pylons. Brant motors safely and serenely around the course, bringing the gold to the Seghetti entry.
            OK, Wayne, pass that pipe.

Hey it has happened, remember Miss Suzy Q? Lefty in 76?

I think the real race will be Bear and the witch. I would like to see Voodoo do it just once after all these years but unless Button decides to go for it I don't see a new owner winning. Too many issues with crew coordination (even with the same crew), etc for an out of the box win.
            Everyone else is behind them just enough to be 3-6, but I can't wait to see what the Smooter Scooter can do!
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Mine: Whiteside and company come up with a new prop for Steadfast, its intended purpose is to beat the RB record TTC... he does not beat the record but it is discovered that this modified prop adds a huge amount of speed at full power at a specific altitude.. you guessed it.. just over 4,800'... he aces top qual speed and dominates the week at the Reno National Championship Air Races, staying out front, avoiding terrible turbulence behind those trying to catch him...
              You forgot the part about the "over-thruster"

Plane crazy's "Nuth'in silly about this May silliness", 2012 predictions

The Bear team crushes the 3km record, posting a 555.23MPH speed record.

In Sept.
              It does not matter what any other team does, 'cause Steve quals Strega at 501.11 and pushes her all week to take first in every heat and the Gold once again is Strega's.

2nd. is Bear
              3rd. is Matt in Furius
              4th. is Thom in PM
              5th. is Sherm in CM
              6th. is Sept. Fury
              7th. is the Doc in Miss A.
              8th. is Wil in Steadfast

I would love to see Voodoo in this mix. Perhaps if not sold by some "drop-dead date" Bob will race her again? Anyone have any inside info?
              '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

1 Strega
                2 Czech Mate
                3 Bear
                4 Furias
                5 232
                6 Dread
                7 Spirit of Texas
                8 Precious Metal

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                  1 Strega
                  2 Czech Mate
                  3 Bear
                  4 Furias
                  5 232
                  6 Dread
                  7 Spirit of Texas
                  8 Precious Metal
                  While we're being silly....

Does #3's name start with "Rare...", "Polar..." , or "The..." ?

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
                    While we're being silly....

Does #3's name start with "Rare...", "Polar..." , or "The..." ?
                    Survey says... bzzzzzzzzzzzz wrong answer. The correct answer would be Teddy. If I was actually putting Polar, or The..., in third please come shoot me for I have clearly gone insane.

Comment

I was at the Sander's facility on the 1st of May, Furias is being masked and prepped for paint. The red scheme will look awesome.
                      I was at qualifying last year, left Thursday morning. I did a lot of video work for 3 day's, Hoot Gibson flying 232, they were hooked up, they should put up a great fight!
                      I watched the Sander's build 232 and many other's, Furias has most of the bug's worked out, she will be up front also!
                      One of the old Air Racer, always said, look at the front of the aircraft, a Mustang verses a Sea Fury, BearCat, or other big radial, it's aerodynamic' s.
                      This year should be a great for the UnLimited's, I agree about VooDoo, seem's like everyone has all their aircraft primed and ready to go.
                      It will be interesting to see who show's up at PRS.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                        Survey says... bzzzzzzzzzzzz wrong answer. The correct answer would be Teddy. If I was actually putting Polar, or The..., in third please come shoot me for I have clearly gone insane.

Predicting Czech Mate over the Bear is clear proof of insanity.

Or to much time with a crack pipe.

Comment

Did I dream it, or did I actually hear that Czech Mate's new wing is going to be purpose designed and built.
                          If it does incorporate NCAR Gold targeted airfoil (s), I think we may see a startling speed increase. And she was already starting to get pretty fast before she even needed the new wing....

Anybody know details of the new wing?
                          Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

The only way Bear beats Strega is if Strega breaks...no way Bear beats a healthy Strega...

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
                              The only way Bear beats Strega is if Strega breaks...no way Bear beats a healthy Strega...
                              That begs the question: Has strega ever lost a race healthy? I have been attending Reno since 99. Don't think I have seen it happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X