Speed Records?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Records?

Any word on the try for the 3km speed records this summer. Are Strega and the Bear still going to try for a new record?
    Brian

Re: Speed Records?

The only thing recent I've heard at all, is that Will Whiteside mentioned the Bear attempt is still on for June (in the middle of his post on 4/25, at Scotty G.'s board, about his own latest round of record annihilating on 4/23 with SteadFast). I would love to know more myself....
    Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

From what I hear, and saw, the Bear is being prepped for June. They did some mods to the wing inlets.

Comment

:nopics: lol

Comment

It's puzzling to me why none of the Mustang guys seem to want this record...I have little doubt Strega could obliterate it.....

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
            It's puzzling to me why none of the Mustang guys seem to want this record...I have little doubt Strega could obliterate it.....
            Because it costs a SH*TLOAD of money, and aside from bragging rights, gets you nothing in return.

It's not a matter inf 'not wanting' the record. It's a matter of logistically and monitarily being able to afford to try.

When Greenamyer tried and failed twice to set it, on his third attempt he said if he didn't make it this time, he would never do it again because he couldn't afford it.

When the Red Baron and Rare Bear set their records, they had corporate sponsors paying for it (Anhauser Busch and Jack DeBoer, respectively).

When Tsunami and Dago red tried and failed it cost the owners a LOT of money and damage to repair.

I mean honestly, do you have any idea how much an attempt on the record costs? It's not just a matter of saying 'hmm....I think I'll set a record today".

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
              It's not just a matter of saying 'hmm....I think I'll set a record today".
              Unless, of course, you're Will Whiteside...
              Sky Critter

Comment

I think a word to Will would reveal lots of expense and long time planning coupled with luck in execution.
                Plus the majority of the records he has just set were previously held by airplanes of much less performance than the Yak.
                Chris...

Comment

Obliterate. Yeah, right.
                  When they're ready to use two engines worth of wear and tear and have double their budget for the year as well, they'll do it.
                  Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Critter View Post
                    Unless, of course, you're Will Whiteside...
                    Thanks Sky Critter, now I gotta figure out a way to clean the ice cream outa my keyboard from laughing so hard.
                    Your kung fu better than mine.
                    Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
                      Obliterate. Yeah, right.
                      When they're ready to use two engines worth of wear and tear and have double their budget for the year as well, they'll do it.
                      Chris...
                      I know, I know, I've heard it all before. Rare Bear is the fastest plane on the planet and no other plane could possibly break their record....thier record is absolutely untouchable....BTW, it's awefully nice of team Rare Bear to LET these Mustang racers win so much at Reno instead of hogging all the limelight themselves, seeing how Rare Bear is the fastest plane in the sky, he's obviously LETTING them win....you RB homers crack me up!

Comment

I know, I know, I've heard it all before. Rare Bear is the fastest plane on the planet and no other plane could possibly break their record....thier record is absolutely untouchable....BTW, it's awefully nice of team Rare Bear to LET these Mustang racers win so much at Reno instead of hogging all the limelight themselves, seeing how Rare Bear is the fastest plane in the sky, he's obviously LETTING them win....you RB homers crack me up!
                        Hey Grampi, I think you need to go back and re-read what Big Jim and Stuntflyr wrote, nobodys saying anything about not being able to beat RB's record! It's all about the COST compared to the RETURN! sheesh..............
                        Last edited by t-dub; 05-05-2012, 08:51 AM.
                        "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub View Post
                          Hey Grampi, I think you need to go back and re-read what BG and Stuntflyr wrote, nobodys saying anything about not being able to beat RB's record! It's all about the COST compared to the RETURN! sheesh..............
                          Maybe nobody's said it in this thread, but it's certainly been said, or at least implied in other threads...I also KNOW these attemps are expensive, but if these racing teams wanted the record bad enough, they'd be able to fund it either through seeking donations or sponsors...

Comment

Maybe nobody's said it in this thread, but it's certainly been said, or at least implied in other threads...I also KNOW these attemps are expensive, but if these racing teams wanted the record bad enough, they'd be able to fund it either through seeking donations or sponsors...
                            So I guess by matter of deductive reasoning, the Mustang guys don't want it as bad as you do.

Comment

I've never seen a post on this or the other related sites where anyone has said RB's record can't be broken. Only that the attempt is difficult and expensive.

Perhaps going after records is more important to you than it is for them
                              Sky Critter

Comment

Working...
                              X