"Flock" of C-130s into Moffett Field today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Flock" of C-130s into Moffett Field today

This afternoon a flight of 3 C-130 Hercules transports flew into Moffett today. Did anyone else local catch them?

I took notice because the first plane made a hot pass down the runway when it arrived while I and some friends were outside, and we were wondering what the loud prop roar was coming from? After a few seconds later I caught sight of the first plane looking between two townhouses as he was making a carrier-break-type left turn onto the downwind leg (Go Navy!).

I have 2 witnesses who will swear with me that the bank angle couldn't have been less that 70 degrees, and from where we were standing looking at the top of the plane, it looked like 90 degrees (I know it wasn't, but WOW! A Hercules pylon turn without pylons... )

All 3 aircraft overflew us on the downwind leg. Two looked drab-colored, but the third (second to land) looked blue on top and either drab, gray or white on bottom. I haven't seen that scheme before...

This photo is the closest I have seen to that plane's paint scheme, though I can't tell for sure if this one is blue on top or some other dark color.:

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 04-27-2012, 09:04 PM.

Re: "Flock" of C-130s into Moffett Field today

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
    This afternoon a flight of 3 C-130 Hercules transports flew into Moffett today. Did anyone else local catch them?

I took notice because the first plane made a hot pass down the runway when it arrived while I and some friends were outside, and we were wondering what the loud prop roar was coming from? After a few seconds later I caught sight of the first plane looking between two townhouses as he was making a carrier-break-type left turn onto the downwind leg (Go Navy!).

I have 2 witnesses who will swear with me that the bank angle couldn't have been less that 70 degrees, and from where we were standing looking at the top of the plane, it looked like 90 degrees (I know it wasn't, but WOW! A Hercules pylon turn without pylons... )

All 3 aircraft overflew us on the downwind leg. Two looked drab-colored, but the third (second to land) looked blue on top and either drab, gray or white on bottom. I haven't seen that scheme before...

This photo is the closest I have seen to that plane's paint scheme, though I can't tell for sure if this one is blue on top or some other dark color.:

Well, it's important to remember that a Herk is nothing but an upside-down P-3....Navy all the way.

Man, I miss flying out of Moffett. Cool place.

Comment

Kind of an odd coincidence. There was a C-130 over Spokane today. One comes into Fairchild AFB once in awhile but not often.

Comment

[QUOTE=Big_Jim;100822]

Well, it's important to remember that a Herk is nothing but an upside-down P-3....Navy all the way.

Ummmm....the C-130 came out in the 50's and the P-3 in the the 60's. I believe that it makes the P-3 an upside down 130. Go Air Force

Comment

Originally posted by Ken from PG View Post
          Ummmm....the C-130 came out in the 50's and the P-3 in the the 60's. I believe that it makes the P-3 an upside down 130. Go Air Force
          All that means is that both of them were originally 'in the closet' at some point.

Comment

Well the "Coast Guard" used both of them. Go "Coast Guard".
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

I'll root for the proud papa....Go Lockheed(?)

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
                All that means is that both of them were originally 'in the closet' at some point.
                Hey Randy, you pretty funny guy!

Comment

[QUOTE=Ken from PG;100827]
                  Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post

The Electra was a 1950's plane too, big guy..... :-)

Comment

Big Jim, buddy of mine up here was third seater in USN P-3's, he's coming down to Reno with me this year.. Have to get you two together to swap stories..
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                      Big Jim, buddy of mine up here was third seater in USN P-3's, he's coming down to Reno with me this year.. Have to get you two together to swap stories..
                      Really think you can take being in the company of TWO VP guys?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                        Really think you can take being in the company of TWO VP guys?
                        Yup, I'll just be extra careful not to drop the soap!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I was boots on the ground at Ke San that was to be the Dien Biein Fu defeat of the USMC by the NVA. The runway was metal and dirt. The re-supply was mostly parachute extracted pallets from C-130's. The base was in was in the bottom of a velley between two mountain ranges infested with 105's. The 130's pilots that re-suplied us all deserved Disquined Fying Crosses or the MOH.

Sgt. Thaomas Campau 2118627 USMC

Comment

Missed that........but those 130-jocks are some of the best in the business. Some of the things they can do with a "flying truck" are amazing.

Comment

I think I've posted this question before, but I'll try again. Does anyone remember seeing a 130 do a barrel roll at the Mojave races in about '77, give or take a year. I was just a little kid, but image seems to be stuck in my mind.

It's funny that my Dad had to be half drunk to get on a commercial airliner, but he would take a ride to hell and back on herky pig just for the fun of it!

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X