Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found P40 in Egypt

http://nordonews.leebottom.com/2012/...esert.html?m=1

Found this on indytransponder. The plane is in great shape despite the bottom being torn from the landing. Let's keep our fingers crossed that someone gets to it quick lest it become roofing for a shack or quarter panels for donkey carts.
    John

Loves airplanes and runs freight trains.

Re: Found P40 in Egypt

Here's some very cool & amazing color photos detailing the condition of the P-40 desert find-

*Link:

DBD

Spcl thx to JCP, f/the 'heads-up' via FB, on the breaking news of this remarkable find & this photo link.

Comment

Very cool!

Not surprising in the least though. I was in Egypt a couple years ago for a vacation and it's simply amazing how much of ancient Egypt is just buried or just hasn't been found. There are literally cities built on top of cities, and they are finding new stuff to excavate all the time

Comment

Great photos of the P-40, thanks for the link !
        Rampking

Comment

I'd love to know the story behind the plane as to how it got there, and the ultimate fate of the pilot. I wonder if they have been able to identify it yet via markings or serials.

Comment

Here is a link with 2 videos of (supposedly) the Egyptian Army reconnoitering, stripping ammo from, and breaking into the cockpit of this time capsule. Which apparently the pilot had sealed the canopy of (glass unbroken), left his parachute pack next to, and walked away from...

I couldn't help holding my breath and cringing a wee bit as I watched. And I wish the only people touching the KittyHawk were trained conservators of some sort, and only as necessary to load it out somewhere safe. And only after documenting every little thing about the way it lay all these decades.

It does seem to be in AMAZING shape up to this point though...

Last edited by C_roundy; 04-25-2012, 08:07 PM.
            Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

I look forward one day to reading a story about or from the pilot who ditched the plane. What an interesting story that would be! That is, if he is still alive...

Comment

Shades of "Lady be Good"....how many more are out there? Wonder if you can see this plane on google satalitte view....?

Comment

Perhaps, if we knew where in the vast Al Wadi al Jadid Desert to look.

Comment

There was one in Finland too ( force landed by RKKA pilot ).

This was an H model...lotsa familiarization flights flown by the FAF pilots.
                    Attached Files
                    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good article on P-40 found in Sahara desert. Good photos!

Comment

Wow! How desolate.

The terrain in the first shot looks so much like some of the rover-taken photos NASA has been displaying that one might think he crashed on Mars. That would be WAY off-course.

I hope they find him someday so he gets a proper burial. The man deserves at least that.
                        Last edited by AirDOGGe; 05-11-2012, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                          Wow! How desolate.

The terrain in the first shot looks so much like some of the rover-taken photos NASA has been displaying that one might think he crashed on Mars. That would be WAY off-course.

I hope they find him someday so he gets a proper burial. The man deserves at least that.
                          They never found Vernon Moore, either, from the Lady Be Good.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
                            They never found Vernon Moore, either, from the Lady Be Good.

Not yet....You never know what the future may bring.

From what I've discovered in forums while researching the location, the coordinates for the P-40 were posted on the 'net at one time, but then were rapidly deleted to protect the site from scavengers. I have no idea if said coordinators were real or not.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 05-12-2012, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Putting a face to the plane & story...

DBD

Comment

Working...
                              X