Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65-70% V8 powered P-40 ??

Anyone done it yet ?

1400 lbs and 450 hp would make it a sport class winner right ?
    Last edited by First time Juke; 04-22-2012, 09:29 AM.
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Re: 65-70% V8 powered P-40 ??

Jurca has 75% scale; http://www.pilotfriend.com/experimental/acft3/92.htm

Comment

I wonder if these plans could be just scaled from 75% to 60 % and still fit the corvette engine in ( and switch it into 2 ft longer M model ) ?

Attached Files
      Last edited by First time Juke; 04-23-2012, 11:37 PM. Reason: pic added

Comment

well,
        just my 2 cents but if your intent is to strictly race, why scale down and replicate a slow aircraft?
        why not take the same dimensions and make all attempts to create a pure racer,
        how about a 75-80% Tsunami, or Miss Ashley II? now that would be a racer!

But if you want a scaled P40 replica in particular, then please ignore above

Comment

I think you cannot scale a Mustang into 60%..John Parker would have done it already if it was possible.

I think the P-40 is possible to be scaled down a lot. It is simple..exept the LG.

To the slow part...you can always incorporate a winning foil ( faster than P-51H foil ) to it etc.
          Last edited by First time Juke; 04-24-2012, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Scale down a DO-335. Tri-cycle gear should alliviate problems with prop size and landing gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Juke View Post
              I think you cannot scale a Mustang into 60%..John Parker would have done it already if it was possible.

You can scale to any size, as long as you can find a pilot small enough to fit inside. Think "horse race jockey"...

Comment

has there been any reliable aircraft powered by automobile engines?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                  Scale down a DO-335. Tri-cycle gear should alliviate problems with prop size and landing gear.
                  +1
                  Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                    Reliable or RACEABLE....imho two completely different things....those new Spitfires have Bowtie V-8s....
                    Tiny Tsunami....drool
                    Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                      Does the Pietenpol Air Camper count?

Comment

Many kit planes were successfully flown with flat-4 (boxer) VW engines.

Porsche came out with a promising modified version of their flat-6 automobile engine for GA aircraft in the early 80's, but eventually cancelled it. I remember seeing a Socata (Tobago?) sporting such a motor on display on the grass just as I walked in the gates at Stead one year.

Funny. I've seen aircraft powered by Chevy 350 V-8s and cars powered by Merlin V-12s.....The lines between are blurred.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                          Many kit planes were successfully flown with flat-4 (boxer) VW engines.

Porsche came out with a promising modified version of their flat-6 automobile engine for GA aircraft in the early 80's, but eventually cancelled it. I remember seeing a Socata (Tobago?) sporting such a motor on display on the grass just as I walked in the gates at Stead one year.
                          Actually, it was a Cessna 182 with a Porsche engine, back in 1986. But there were a couple of Socatas parked next to it...
                          Attached Files

Comment

I really love this site. I mean, where else can you go on the interweb and have people from Finland post pictures of display aircraft at Reno that were taken in 1986!

Awesome, just freakin awesome!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Finn View Post
                              Actually, it was a Cessna 182 with a Porsche engine, back in 1986. But there were a couple of Socatas parked next to it...
                              Thx for the correction. I'm probably thinking of a TB-16 (Porsche-powered Tobago)I saw in a magazine before that year's races. I know I read of it before seeing one in person, possibly in "Air Progress".

A shame they appeared at such a bad time:

After being introduced in late 1985 and starting to generate increasing interest in the general aviation (GA) market, Porsche exited the field during the massive downturn in the market in the late 1980s, closing the lines in 1991.
                              Last edited by AirDOGGe; 04-25-2012, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X