Sonic BOOM in Tucson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonic BOOM in Tucson

During a practice session yesterday, one of the T-Birds apparently cracked the throttle just a hair too much. The news is reporting over 100 calls to 911, most of which had no idea what it was. There are several reports of broken windows as well. Must have been pretty low!

AHHH... the sound of freedom

I hope the pilot doesn't get in too much trouble but, I've heard this sort of thing can get you grounded.
    Sky Critter

Re: Sonic BOOM in Tucson

I once saw an F-4 push a little too far at an airshow at Point Mugu. Set off every car alarm in the parking lot and broke a few windows too.

Comment

I was there. Later reports said it was the canopy that went supersonic not the rest of the plane?
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

That sounds like being a little pregnant.
        Sky Critter

Comment

Do pregnant F-4s have litters of little A-4s?

I assume they meant only the airflow over the canopy went SS. Seems to me that if this were the case, such a shockwave would be mainly directed upwards and not be very strong on the ground. How loud/quiet was the "boom" in your opinion(s)?
          Last edited by AirDOGGe; 04-14-2012, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I was several miles away south of the base. All of the reported damage was north of the base. Didn't seem loud at all and I only learned about the damage on the news.

Of course, one of the local stations focused on the scared seniors at the assisted living center...
            Sky Critter

Comment

Hmmmm......not good, Kemosabe.....remember what happened when that pilot from the Arkansas Nat Guard went SS at Reno? I think the T-birds have a low tolerance for that sort of thing. They even got sore at Capt.
              Chris Striklin when he dented his F-16 at Mountain Home , Sept. 2003.
              I say, let 'um go supersonic at every show!

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Critter View Post
                I was several miles away south of the base. All of the reported damage was north of the base. Didn't seem loud at all and I only learned about the damage on the news.

Interesting. Rather directional in nature, eh? Very low altitude booms don't travel far I suppose, especially if they are unintentionally directed downwards, say when going supersonic while in a dive.

Sure, there was only a shockwave generated off the canopy ....WHILE INVERTED it would seem! (heh-heh).

Comment

Working...
                X