Another step back to normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another step back to normal

The NTSB briefing for me not only brought it all back but lifted a cloud as well.

I was glad to see that the trim tab modifications are clearly (as I had suggested) the culprit and that the government seems to actually be showing restraint and thought in their recommendations.

The improvements in documentation and testing of aircraft seem spot on and suggestions on course modifications seem reasonable.

So for me it seems like the future of air racing in Reno has passed a giant hurdle and we have some answers confirmed about this terrible tragedy.

As to bringing it all back, I hadn't really thought about the incident for quite a while and I was surprised at my reaction to seeing it again in the briefing. Even without the impact I was surprised that I had such a physical reaction. I was shaking after watching it.

It will be interesting to see if I have any reaction at the races later this year.

I just realized however how great it is after this briefing seeing that I can type the previous line "at the races later this year"!

Also, I had at least one smile when reading some of the supporting data, Ghost was 530 MPH at the time! I think Jimmy was ready to show us another Ace. What a Gold Race we would have had!

We passed a hurdle, now lets hope this year is the safest and FASTEST Reno EVER!

Spacegrrrl

Re: Another step back to normal

After briefly reading over the findings (I need to reread all of them) I have to agree with the recommendations for the most part. Yes, the fuel truck should perhaps be parked somewhere else, the G suits would be a good idea, but are they really feasible? Moving pylon 8 might be a good idea, but where?

And yes, hearing GG was doing 530 through the turn is pretty mind blowing. I remember people saying that Strega and Voodoo slowed down, but it might have been they were maintaining pace, and Jimmy put the spurs to it. All I can say is wow, what a race it could have been on Sunday. Perhaps there is some solid merit to the scoopless Mustang. 530 mph with really short wings through a turn is pretty impressive in my book. It makes you wonder what the speeds were for Strega and Voodoo at the time. Perhaps we will see another scoopless mustang in the future based on all that was learned with Stiletto and G.G. If nothing else, it should be pretty fast.

I can't wait for Sept.

Will

Comment

I did not see a conclusion citing trim tab failure as probable cause. Did I miss that somewhere?
      _________
      -Matt
      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell View Post
        I did not see a conclusion citing trim tab failure as probable cause. Did I miss that somewhere?
        This was not the final report on the accident itself. That is where you would find a statement like that, and the investigation is not done yet.

This today was recommendations to things to look for or change.

However, it is interesting to note that even within the verbiage of the suggestions it points a finger at the trim tab issues--fixing one, electric motors, etc.--as things that were identified by the tech inspectors prior to racing last year, and as things that the Unlimited Class should set guidelines for in the future.

Comment

Did you actually watch the video of the conference??

NTSB Briefing

This was not the final finding, but seeing as the only aircraft "defect" mentioned in the briefing was the failure of the trim system complete with multiple still photographs of the aircraft where they pointed specifically at the trim surfaces in various degrees of position that seemed consistent with failure, ending with departure of portions of one surface.

I think they were making a case the trim surface has their primary attention as to cause.

So if you haven't, watch the actual briefing and then please tell me what you thought they suggested as the problem with the Ghost that caused the incident.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
            After briefly reading over the findings (I need to reread all of them) I have to agree with the recommendations for the most part. Yes, the fuel truck should perhaps be parked somewhere else, the G suits would be a good idea, but are they really feasible? Moving pylon 8 might be a good idea, but where?

And yes, hearing GG was doing 530 through the turn is pretty mind blowing. I remember people saying that Strega and Voodoo slowed down, but it might have been they were maintaining pace, and Jimmy put the spurs to it. All I can say is wow, what a race it could have been on Sunday. Perhaps there is some solid merit to the scoopless Mustang. 530 mph with really short wings through a turn is pretty impressive in my book. It makes you wonder what the speeds were for Strega and Voodoo at the time. Perhaps we will see another scoopless mustang in the future based on all that was learned with Stiletto and G.G. If nothing else, it should be pretty fast.

I can't wait for Sept.

Will
            Don't draw too much from that. One thing to consider is that this is ground speed and not indicated. Winds were pretty stiff during that race and Voodoo saw 530 mph ground speed on the course too.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
              Don't draw too much from that. One thing to consider is that this is ground speed and not indicated. Winds were pretty stiff during that race and Voodoo saw 530 mph ground speed on the course too.

Michael
              The speed was from in plane telemetry.

Do you know what the source of the telemetry source was (this is meant to be a real question, not meant to challenge your post :-) )? I assumed it was based on the in aircraft instrumentation.

Anyone know the specifics of the telemetry in GG?

Spacegrrrl
              Last edited by spacegrrrl; 04-10-2012, 06:19 PM. Reason: trying to make it clear I was asking a question

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                Did you actually watch the video of the conference??
                Spacegrrrl
                Easy killer I watched it. But since you asked, I think in addition to the tab failure some things may have occurred in the aft fuselage during the upset and I'd be happy to wait for the probable cause statement. Curious to see if the tab failure is a contributing factor, a consequence, or a cause.
                _________
                -Matt

Comment

The speed was from in plane telemetry.

Do you know what the source of the telemetry source was? I assumed it was based on the in aircraft instrumentation.

Anyone know the specifics of the telemetry in GG?

Spacegrrrl
                  Um, the guy you are quoting is THE one, the brains, the designer behind the telemetry on GG.

I'd bet my last nickel he knows what he is talking about........ (2c)

Comment

Easy killer I watched it. But since you asked, I think in addition to the tab failure some things may have occurred in the aft fuselage during the upset and I'd be happy to wait for the probable cause statement. Curious to see if the tab failure is a contributing factor, a consequence, or a cause.
                    Haven't heard anyone suggest something in the aft fuselage as a cause and didn't see anything in the video that indicated there was suspicion of aft fuselage mysteries. I think they implied the tail wheel coming out was an indication of the G-forces as well as fuselage deformation seen in some pictures.

But sure, feel free to wait to hear it was the trim tab failure in the final report....

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Originally posted by Box A35 View Post
                      Um, the guy you are quoting is THE one, the brains, the designer behind the telemetry on GG.

I'd bet my last nickel he knows what he is talking about........ (2c)
                      I'm sorry if my post sounded like I was saying he didn't know what he was talking about. I was asking a question. I really wondered what the airspeed telemetry source was!

It wasn't meant to discredit the person I quoted.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Haven't heard anyone suggest something in the aft fuselage as a cause and didn't see anything in the video that indicated there was suspicion of aft fuselage mysteries. I think they implied the tail wheel coming out was an indication of the G-forces as well as fuselage deformation seen in some pictures.

But sure, feel free to wait to hear it was the trim tab failure in the final report....

Spacegrrrl
                        And the fuselage deformation shown in a photo taken earlier in the race?
                        _________
                        -Matt

Comment

And the fuselage deformation shown in a photo taken earlier in the race?
                          The MAJOR deformation was mentioned in the briefing was after the pull up, they even had one of the photo stills they used put back up for the folks in the room to see (although not on video)

There hasn't been a photo that I've heard anyone present that showed more than normal fuselage deformation during any GG flight. If there is one could someone share it or point me to it?

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Had they installed a water tank/equipt. in the aft section for the boil-off system that maybe broke loose or?
                            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Quick question, if the deformation was so bad, why didnt the whole tail fail during the initial pull up when the g load was at its highest? Whats the most g's a top runner encounters during a race? And why would this load cause a big failure but a much higher load didnt? enquiring minds wanna know.

Comment

Working...
                              X