• Show
Clear All

• Wildfire??

Any news out of their camp??

Re: Wildfire??

Is there a camp anymore?

Comment

I'll ask Linus when he gets back from The Great Pumpkin Patch.

Comment

Has the "fire" been put out yet?

I was in my 20's when I saw photos of WF being built. I'm working my way through my fifties now. Ummmmmmmm...

Call it a hunch, a feeling or just an annoying itch in my mind, but I don't think this is gonna happen. I didn't believe such an underpowered airframe would be competitive against the Unlimiteds back then, and I certain don't today, now that the "competition" bar has been raised, so to speak.

A 2800 against today's field of 3350s, 4360s and modified V-12s? Let's just run a 1978 Corvette in the Indy 500, shall we? Just a few mods, and.....

(P.S>....I'd STILL love to see it fly someday, race-ready or not.)

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
          I think that's just the bottom line for a lot of people. GET it to Reno. It doesn't have to win, it doesn't have to be competitive...just get it there for Bill Sr. and close that book. Given everything that has happened, that will be 'winning'.

Comment

I was in my 20's when I saw photos of WF being built. I'm working my way through my fifties now. Ummmmmmmm...

Call it a hunch, a feeling or just an annoying itch in my mind, but I don't think this is gonna happen. I didn't believe such an underpowered airframe would be competitive against the Unlimiteds back then, and I certain don't today, now that the "competition" bar has been raised, so to speak.

A 2800 against today's field of 3350s, 4360s and modified V-12s? Let's just run a 1978 Corvette in the Indy 500, shall we? Just a few mods, and.....

Just for perspective, there is a old copy of Air Comics, with a story on the future of Unlimited Air Racing, it featured 3 new Race Planes under construction, yet to fly. Dreadnought, Tsunami and Wildfire.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
              Just for perspective, there is a old copy of Air Comics, with a story on the future of Unlimited Air Racing, it featured 3 new Race Planes under construction, yet to fly. Dreadnought, Tsunami and Wildfire.
              And interestingly enough, if you compare all three of the articles you'll note that of the three, Wildfire was the farthest along in completion....essentially 'intact' and just awaiting flight test.

Comment

A 2800 against today's field of 3350s, 4360s and modified V-12s?
                Reference our favorite YAK racer out of Bakersfield, insert foot think on it then just stop.
                John Slack

Comment

A 2800 against today's field of 3350s, 4360s and modified V-12s?...
                  Actually, power-to weight, (and size), the 2800 has a lot going for it. I think it's the radial of the future in air racing. If Reno can continue for the next decade, we'll see the "Bear" boasting one again. Look at the performance of the newly converted Sanders fury, with the 2800!?!

Czech Mate anyone?

If I was developing a radial engines Unlimited today, the 2800 would be my choice.

Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                    Czech Mate anyone?
                    If Czech Mate is going to set the world on fire, it will be because of the new wing. The -2800 will just assist in getting it there.

Comment

Not to mention Howard Pardue's last trip around the sticks in his F8F with a fresh 2800 had some really impressive times for a "stock" bearcat as I recall.

Comment

The last news posted on Wildfire website was 2010.

Comment

Not to mention how fast Howard's Bearcat went with minimal mods.

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                            A 2800 against today's field of 3350s, 4360s and modified V-12s?
                            Reference our favorite YAK racer out of Bakersfield, insert foot think on it then just stop.
                            It's a mean machine for sure, but best top speed has been, what, 450-460 mph? (unofficial as stated)

With planes like Strega, the Bear and the like capable of hitting the other side of 500 mph, it's gonna take a bit more for Czech Mate to defeat them. That or a few convenient maydays. Not trying to sound mean, but I just don't see (foresee?) it happening.

When I witness C-mate wearing a 2800 and sitting in the Unlimited Gold winner's circle come some September Sunday, then I'll gladly insert both feet up to the knees, boots n all... promise :

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 04-03-2012, 10:36 PM.

Comment

It's a mean machine for sure, but best top speed has been, what, 450-460 mph? (unofficial as stated)

With planes like Strega, the Bear and the like capable of hitting the other side of 500 mph, it's gonna take a bit more for Czech Mate to defeat them. That or a few convenient maydays. Not trying to sound mean, but I just don't see (foresee?) it happening.

When I witness C-mate wearing a 2800 and sitting in the Unlimited Gold winner's circle come some September Sunday, then I'll gladly insert both feet up to the knees, boots n all... promise :

You're obviously unaware of the modifications that are being made to the 'weak points' of the Yak......This is going to be something BIG when it's done, and enough that it will be enough to make good on your "someday".

Comment

Working...
                              X