Why was Conquest I retired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why was Conquest I retired?

Just looking at pictures of Daryl Greenameyers Bearcat and started wondering why he decided to retire her? I wonder what Conquest I would have done with a 3350 in her?
    Brian

Re: Why was Conquest I retired?

Originally posted by supercub View Post
    Just looking at pictures of Daryl Greenameyers Bearcat and started wondering why he decided to retire her?...
    Brian

Just ask any experienced gambler in Reno, and they will reply "It's better to quit while you are still ahead..."

Whatever the true reason, I'm glad he 'walked away from the table' when he did, else Conquest I might have experienced a Stiletto-converted-back-to-stock type of fate by now.

Comment

Conquest I was retired at least twice over the years starting in 1969 after he set the 3km.

The first time he was starting to build a P-63 racer (which ultimately became Larry Havens' "Crazy Horse"). The second time was after the 1971 PRPA 'ban' and FAA license suspension, in combination with the 1972 Reno disqualification for 'substitute pilot' Dick Laidley for flying too low....he had pissed off just about everyone you could piss off, so he parked the plane for a couple years.

But one of the major things for the 'final retirement' after the '75 season was that Greenamyer had the F-104 project going on at the time. He wasn't rich, by any means, and most of his money was funnelled towards getting that project up and running. Remember, for a time, he held both the Propeller driven AND the absolute 3km speed records in the Bearcat and the Red Baron 104.

It also happened to coincide with the opening of the National Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonain, and one of the higher-ups back there was a racing fan and wanted Conquest I in the collection. Lots of people don't remember that for a time, that airplane was in the museum on the mall. Only later was it put to pasture at Silver Hill, and ultimately at the new Dulles facility.

Comment

one of the articles from back in the day he claimed that he'd flown it from stock to it's final mods and with around 18"s of aileron on each side he thought now one else would know it's eccentricities..there for he swapped it for a stock bearcat to the Smithsonian.
        it's seemed he didn't want someone else s blood on his hands.

Comment

I was lucky enough to see Race 1 at the Smithsonian on the Mall when I was 12. I must have some old disc camera photos stashed away somewhere of all the exhibits.
          "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

I saw it there as well. I was about that age.

Comment

I saw Conquest I in the Silver Hill facility years ago, and have since seen it in the Dulles facility. It is a great looking plane and one of the best looking of all the Unlimiteds [in my opinion].

Denver Kissinger did a great looking painting and subsequent print edition of the plane.

The previous suggestion of an R-3350 for this plane is intriguing. I have always wondered where this plane would have gone had Mr. Greenamyer kept racing her; R-3350 or not.

Comment

My last recollection of seeing Conquest I was from the '76 Mojave Air Races. Daryl had the fabulous eagle scheme painted over brilliant yellow base paint. What a spectacular sight. As the ultimate nose thumbing showman he used a donkey hitched to tow the racer to starting position. The spectacle was greeted with roars of approval. Who could be pissed at him any longer?

Comment

Originally posted by Sneauxman View Post
                  My last recollection of seeing Conquest I was from the '76 Mojave Air Races. Daryl had the fabulous eagle scheme painted over brilliant yellow base paint. What a spectacular sight. As the ultimate nose thumbing showman he used a donkey hitched to tow the racer to starting position. The spectacle was greeted with roars of approval. Who could be pissed at him any longer?
                  Really? I can give you a long and distinguished list of who. I personally knew one competitor who went to his grave still with an intense hatred of the man as a result of 'the rivalry'...which made Hersch Roark's "The Handshake" photo one for the ages. Few who have seen that photo understand what is really going on in it.

On the other hand, there is also a long and distinguished list of those who would follow Greenamyer to hell and back.

Such happens when you are that fierce and dedicated a competitor. Still one of the most talented pilots I have ever seen fly an airplane.

The oxen and horses were 1975. But Darryl kept it based at Mojave, so that is why it was on display in the pits in 1976.

Comment

Working...
                  X