Now, THAT's an airshow...Nellis 1959

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now, THAT's an airshow...Nellis 1959

Oh, if only the airshow fly-by and demo portions of the event at Stead in September were like this...

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmseXJ7DV4c[/YT]

(The "flock" of B-52's is most noteworthy!)

Re: Now, THAT's an airshow...Nellis 1959

I never get tired of watching this vid...dont you wish Hollywood would have filmed it in technicolor?
    Meanwhile....50 years later....the current administration has canceled single plane demo teams...I say, Bring back the missiles and napalm!
    People are so tight now you cant even drop a car from a helicoptor anymore.....

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
      I never get tired of watching this vid...dont you wish Hollywood would have filmed it in technicolor?
      Meanwhile....50 years later....the current administration has canceled single plane demo teams...I say, Bring back the missiles and napalm!
      100% with you on this Chris.....
      What happened to the helicopter drop at Reno ?
      Rampking

Comment

Originally posted by rampking View Post
        100% with you on this Chris.....
        What happened to the helicopter drop at Reno ?
        Snail Darter population was too low......

Comment

I heard some rumor that the vehicle fluids could not be injected into the ground like that....soooo why not drain the differential, engine, tranny , and brakes???? I miss the car drop....I think they should have used two helicoptors and a Volkswagon and a Caddy and seen which one hit the ground first. But then again, I miss the Arkansas National Guard and the Human Fly.....I miss FiFi going around the pylons.....in fact, I miss just about everything except the Saab driving team....

Comment

They probably "dropped" the car drop because someone, somewhere was worried an endangered Horned Toad or Rattlesnake might get squashed by one of General Motor's finest.

I mess the great shows from the 80's where something fresh and exciting was happening seemingly every minute. Budget cuts, overseas wars and safety improvements are slowly taking some of the fun out of airshows. I'll still go of course, but it just can't and won't be the same as it was.

Sonic booms, live missile fires, in-flight refueling demos...being reckless was FUN back then, dangerous or not......Ah, to long for the days when kids could set off fireworks in their driveways and blow up the house with the contents included in their "Little Genius" chemistry sets....sigh*...

Comment

I am so old I remember when M80s were legal and drugs were not....

Comment

I think they should have used two helicoptors and a Volkswagon and a Caddy and seen which one hit the ground first.
                They hit the ground at the same time man.

Comment

The current administration has NOT canceled single plane demos. I say bring back the napalm, missiles, and Mach 2 flybys. Probably wouldn't happen nowadays. Would be cool though.

Frank C.

Comment

yeah....I miss those days as well. Thought it was kinda cool when that F-16 jock "punched through" during a pass in '93. I understand he got a talking to about that. None the less, pretty neat. Or the CAF Pearl Harbor show.... oh well. At least they still HAVE air shows............

Comment

Nobody has said it yet but are you sure that's actually Nellis? It looks to me more like the location just north of Nellis a bit, ... can't quite remember the name, Indian Springs??? It's where they have what used to be called "Capstone" and now is called "Live fire Demo"...

The surrounding terrain looks a lot more like out there than Nellis....
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
                        yeah....I miss those days as well. Thought it was kinda cool when that F-16 jock "punched through" during a pass in '93. I understand he got a talking to about that. None the less, pretty neat. Or the CAF Pearl Harbor show.... oh well. At least they still HAVE air shows............
                        Pretty sure that was an F-14.

Comment

It was an F-16! It was pretty cool. Guess some people who lived in Stead didn't appreciate the sonic boom. I loved it!

Frank C.

Comment

Working...
                          X