Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supersonic biplanes

Supersonic Biplanes Are Coming?

Researchers at MIT and Stanford say they have advanced the idea of German engineer Adolf Busemann, who in the 1950s proposed that a biplane design could be more efficient and quiet in supersonic flight. Busemann's calculations found that a biplane's two wings could be positioned to cancel out shock waves, but there were problems with the design. Among those, the wings, which joined at their tips, could create egregious amounts of drag when transitioning to supersonic speeds. Now, researchers believe they have resolved the drag problem, found significant increases in efficiency, and significantly reduced sonic boom signatures. There are other challenges to overcome.

The researchers used a computer model to optimize Busemann's biplane configuration and say the outcome not only overcomes the drag problem but would half the drag of conventional supersonic jets like the Concorde when supersonic. Researchers Qiqi Wang, Rui Hu, and Antony Jameson say that by using computer modeling to test 700 different wing configurations at multiple speeds they were able to develop an optimal shape for supersonic biplane configuration. "They found that smoothing out the inner surface of each wing slightly created a wider channel through which air could flow," MIT said in a press release. The result cured the choke point of drag that otherwise could prevent the design from ever reaching optimal speed for significantly reduced drag. Next, production of a 3-D model will allow the researchers to address "other factors affecting flight."

Re: Supersonic biplanes

I thought you were about to say Tom was strapping a Viper engine to Phantom....

Comment

Ummm...April 1 is still a couple of weeks away.

Comment

Well the cat is out of the bag now. We were going to take our AN-2 supersonic next week with Gen. Yeager at the controls, but now what is the point?

Using the Antonov "variable wing-tip geometry under-thruster", we figured the wingtips would have to touch just before we went Mach 1, and at Mach 2, the tips would be the standard distance apart, (if not more).

Meh. Perhaps we can schedule Dave Morss to fly it around April 1st. for us?
        '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

not as crazy as some things I've strapped on
          dave
          www.davemorss.com

Comment

No Comments from Section "3".
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
              Well the cat is out of the bag now. We were going to take our AN-2 supersonic next week with Gen. Yeager at the controls, but now what is the point?

Using the Antonov "variable wing-tip geometry under-thruster", we figured the wingtips would have to touch just before we went Mach 1, and at Mach 2, the tips would be the standard distance apart, (if not more).
              You should plan to replace the flux capacitor just before the attempt. They are prone to failure at the most inopportune time. The good news is they seem to be readily available.

Read up on it here: http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Flux_Capacitor

Comment

Uh, um, hmmph......

Ok, I don't know which I find more disturbing:

1) The fact that I even bit on this long enough to find out that these people at MIT, Stanford, and Tohoku U. in Japan are quite serious about the concept.

2) The fact that if its feasable, no matter what a horrible, horrible sin against the time honored "If it looks right it'll fly right" principle it may be; that I have to admit it makes sense.
                (Ya can't sell supersonic airpains if yer not allowed to fly supersonic over land masses that businessmen need to cross, and this idea looks to have the potential of reducing the sonic boom by 85% and cutting fuel burn 30% compared to Concorde)....

3) The fact that I'm pointing this stuff out instead of Juke.
                Come to think of it, where is Juke? Is he ok?
                Did somebody shove him in front of a supersonic biplane's inlets?

A throwback to early 20th Century aviation may hold the key to eliminating the sonic boom - at least according to researchers at MIT and Stanford University. Strongly reminiscent of biplanes still in use today, the researcher's concept supersonic aircraft introduces a second wing which it is…
                Last edited by C_roundy; 03-19-2012, 07:57 PM.
                Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

3) The fact that I'm pointing this stuff out instead of Juke.
                  Come to think of it, where is Juke? Is he ok?
                  Did somebody shove him in front of a supersonic biplane's inlets?

Thats some funny stuff right there.

Comment

Kind of gives the biplane class a whole new meaning, doesnt it?
                    Well, I wish these guys luck, but somehow I dont think I will see a supercruise F-35 Biplane in my lifetime.....or what's left of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                      I thought you were about to say Tom was strapping a Viper engine to Phantom....
                      Now THAT would be sumpthin' to see go! Yeah, sweep them skinny wings way back, and strap the Viper between his legs......

I mean c'mon, its not like it would be that much further of a stretch from being a Mong Sport!
                      Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Working...
                      X