Will Whiteside / Team Steadfast Time to Climb Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Whiteside / Team Steadfast Time to Climb Video

Special thanks to Team SteadFast for making this a possibility through their hard work and dedication to competition.

Re: Will Whiteside / Team Steadfast Time to Climb Video

That was pretty cool. Good video.

Will

Comment

So what record was he going for? I couldn't watch the video because my work computer won't download the video. Doesn't Rare Bear hold the 3000 meter climb record (this guy didn't actually think he was gonna outclimb a Bearcat with a Yak, did he?)

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
        So what record was he going for? I couldn't watch the video because my work computer won't download the video. Doesn't Rare Bear hold the 3000 meter climb record (this guy didn't actually think he was gonna outclimb a Bearcat with a Yak, did he?)

There are different classes of aircraft that compete for these records.

Comment

He set 4 records total in two classes...Time to 10k and 20k in each class... With some more effort and better conditions Rare Bears time to climb record is in reach of the little Yak , and that is not just bravado.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrace View Post
            He set 4 records total in two classes...Time to 10k and 20k in each class... With some more effort and better conditions Rare Bears time to climb record is in reach of the little Yak , and that is not just bravado.
            Bear's current record maybe, but Bear's got considerably more power now than she had when she set the record so I'm sure today's Bear could shatter the current record...and make it untouchable by a Yak...

Comment

So when is RB going to start showin some of that power? The performance of the last few years dosnt support your argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                So when is RB going to start showin some of that power? The performance of the last few years dosnt support your argument.
                Strange that I find myself agreeing with Grampi, but he is right.

the time to climb was set in 1972. Today's Bear is a different animal.

Comment

I'll give you guys a little clue....there was more left in the tank when Lyle set the record in '72. He set it to raise sponsorship money...but left a bit for a future attempt. Nobody else has tried since.

There was access to a 'stock' set of F8F wings to put on #77 if anyone every tried to break the record, and Lyle was ready to take on all comers....and if I recall correctly, there was talk/encouragement to get Steve Hinton to try breaking the record in that blue Griffon Spit that the PoF had several years ago with the Shackelton prop setup....just as an excuse for Lyle to go for it again in the Bear.

The wings on that little Yak are what will hold Steadfast back from setting a record in the unlimited category.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                    I'll give you guys a little clue....there was more left in the tank when Lyle set the record in '72. He set it to raise sponsorship money...but left a bit for a future attempt. Nobody else has tried since.

There was access to a 'stock' set of F8F wings to put on #77 if anyone every tried to break the record, and Lyle was ready to take on all comers....and if I recall correctly, there was talk/encouragement to get Steve Hinton to try breaking the record in that blue Griffon Spit that the PoF had several years ago with the Shackelton prop setup....just as an excuse for Lyle to go for it again in the Bear.

The wings on that little Yak are what will hold Steadfast back from setting a record in the unlimited category.
                    You really think wings would make much difference? I would think it's more a matter of gross weight and HP.

From the stories I've heard it was pretty much a max effort. Max power with the tail tied and a rope cut, or is that just embellishment over the years?

Maybe I should read "Racing for the Gold"?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                      ....and if I recall correctly, there was talk/encouragement to get Steve Hinton to try breaking the record in that blue Griffon Spit that the PoF had several years ago with the Shackelton prop setup....
                      Not to drag this OT, but does anyone know where that Spit ended up? I saw it a PoF show years ago and always thought it was the coolest looking British fighter I'd ever seen. Sounded good too...
                      Mark Johnson
                      Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan View Post
                        Not to drag this OT, but does anyone know where that Spit ended up? I saw it a PoF show years ago and always thought it was the coolest looking British fighter I'd ever seen. Sounded good too...
                        Went to Europe a few years ago and if I recall correctly the prop system was swapped out for a more conventional/accurate one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                          You really think wings would make much difference? I would think it's more a matter of gross weight and HP.

From the stories I've heard it was pretty much a max effort. Max power with the tail tied and a rope cut, or is that just embellishment over the years?

Maybe I should read "Racing for the Gold"?
                          They make a huge difference. One has to be able to lift the load and maintain directional control. The long wings are needed.

The airplane was attached to a load release for a crane with an electric switch. This was attached to the hook mount. A cable ran to a giant sewer fixture that was dragged by the airplane to the lip of the pavement. The airplane was oriented 45 degrees right of the runway heading on the left side of the runway. The crew chief stood in view of the pilot and when the pilot signaled ready, the CC signaled the switch activation to release the airplane. The engine was at whatever power they were using, it sounded like race power, and was done with water, so it had to be a lot. When released the airplane changed direction to runway heading while accelerating to minimum control speed by the time it was on runway centerline, it accelerated in ground effect while the gear retracted to 165 kts and a 60 degree climb angle was then held until 165 kts was no longer able to be attained the pitch was leveled to hold 165 kts until it was very close to 3000 meters and then Lyle tried for a bit of a zoom reducing speed and letting the airplane roll and yaw off heading. He told me doubted that it helped and was disappointed with the record but was glad to have set it after all of the problems.

It looked like a car going down the freeway, straight up.

The days temperature rose past the most desired temperature as the time to set the record crept by, after a test flight, and a brake failure was repaired. The February temperature for the day was unusually high as well, they were hoping for near freezing and to take flight early, it was in the low 60's by record flight time.

Chris...

Comment

Long wings sure could help. Rate of climb is (power available - power required) divided by weight. Minimum power required is at lower speeds where parasite drag is equal to induced drag. Longer wings will reduce induced drag, and consequently power required. Provided you can still make power (and the prop is efficient) at the speed you end up with, and longer wings don't add too much weight, overall climb performance is improved.

Comment

It would help a bit, certainly not "huge" Where only talking just over 2' per side.

I'll ask the man who would have a definitive answer when where all in town next week.

Comment

Working...
                              X