Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pylon-Air

Hello -

Pylon-Aire [Note different spellings, I've seen it with & without the dash and the 'e'] was based in Long Beach CA in the late 60's / early 70's. They modified warbirds for air racing, including Mike Carroll's clipped & flamed Sea Fury, his P-39, E D Weiner's two P-51's, Larry Haven's Race 90 P-63, and John Sandberg's P-63 Crazy Horse.

Sure sounds like a fun business!

Chris Mullin's given me this info:

'Pylon-Air was owned by Bob Newberger, Bert Baker and Mr. Tomasulo. The airplanes that you describe are accurate. I remember that while driving along the 405 in the late 60's/early 70's one could see the hangar and back lot had several P-63 fuselages and wings sitting along the cyclone fence that paralleled the old perimeter road.

The concern folded after one of the principals died and with the loss of Mike Carroll, E.D. Weiner and Larry Haven's P-63 they had no more clients, luckily Larry survived.'

Other information about this company seems very scarce. Does anyone know more about Pylon Air?

Thanks!

David OD
    Irvine CA

Re: Pylon-Air

Originally posted by Davod O'D View Post
    Hello -

Pylon-Aire [Note different spellings, I've seen it with & without the dash and the 'e'] was based in Long Beach CA in the late 60's / early 70's. They modified warbirds for air racing, including Mike Carroll's clipped & flamed Sea Fury, his P-39, E D Weiner's two P-51's, Larry Haven's Race 90 P-63, and John Sandberg's P-63 Crazy Horse.

Sure sounds like a fun business!

Chris Mullin's given me this info:

'Pylon-Air was owned by Bob Newberger, Bert Baker and Mr. Tomasulo. The airplanes that you describe are accurate. I remember that while driving along the 405 in the late 60's/early 70's one could see the hangar and back lot had several P-63 fuselages and wings sitting along the cyclone fence that paralleled the old perimeter road.

The concern folded after one of the principals died and with the loss of Mike Carroll, E.D. Weiner and Larry Haven's P-63 they had no more clients, luckily Larry survived.'

Other information about this company seems very scarce. Does anyone know more about Pylon Air?

Thanks!

David OD
    Irvine CA
    DON Newberger, DICK Tomasalo, and VERN Barker were the principal's at Pylon-Air. There was never an 'e' on the end. I think that Pylon-Air was an outgrowth of Air Associates and Vern Barker's Aircraft Maintenance at Long Beach airport.

To my knowledge, they never did any work on Sandberg's Cobra...Mr. Moneybags got it stock, modifed it by crash-landing it between two trees, and rebuilt it to 'racer' configuration by himself in Minneapolis.

Race 90 and "Crazy Horse" were the same plane owned by Larry Havens, so I think you're confusing that plane with Sandberg's #28 "Tipsy Miss".

Vern and Don also were the crew for Leroy Penhall's Mustang, though Ralph Payne was responsible for doing the restoration and race prep on it originally.

Comment

It was late and I was tired.
      I like e's on the end of stuff because I try to class up air racing, it's difficult though. It's no Thunderboat crowd...
      Chris...
      Last edited by stuntflyr; 03-13-2012, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
        It was late and I was tired.
        I like e's on the end of stuff because I try to class up air racing, it's difficult though. It's no Thunderboat crowd...
        Chris...
        Oh, it's okay...I still love you, man.

Comment

Working...
        X