PRS Permits are secured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS Permits are secured

according to team Strega. PRS has been approved by all relevant parties.

Re: PRS Permits are secured

Great news, thanks...that reaffirms what was said in a former post.
    Wonder what insurance must be carried by pilots at PRS as well as RARA and the airport....?
    Last edited by Coyote Chris; 03-12-2012, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Fantastic news. PRS was a red flag issue for any chance of racing this year.
      No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
      http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Maybe the races should be done like PRS, a non commercial event like an IAC aerobatic contest. No prize money, an entry fee would be required, no commercial activities or airshow except maybe porta johns, and you have to be a member of RARA to attend which you can only do if you waive any reason to sue. In other words you attend at your own risk.

Just a thought,

Ron
        Ron Henning

Comment

I assume getting permissions for PRS was easier due to far less spectators on hand than seen at the races themselves.

Fingers still crossed on the latter happening this September. Happy race-schoolin' everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron101502 View Post
            Maybe the races should be done like PRS, a non commercial event like an IAC aerobatic contest. No prize money, an entry fee would be required, no commercial activities or airshow except maybe porta johns, and you have to be a member of RARA to attend which you can only do if you waive any reason to sue. In other words you attend at your own risk.

Just a thought,

Ron
            Uh.....you need butts in seats for RARA to make money. I have only been to one PRS, but there is nobody there.

Comment

My point is RARA turns into an IAC where they are not supposed to make money!!! It's a sport, not an airshow or entertainment venue.
              Ron Henning

Comment

Originally posted by Ron101502 View Post
                My point is RARA turns into an IAC where they are not supposed to make money!!! It's a sport, not an airshow or entertainment venue.
                Auto racing is a sport to, but you hold races without spectators and it's does not remain a sport very long.

Comment

See where you're going with your thinking, Ron and it's an interesting thought.

That said, I don't believe the administrative/revenue structure of RARA is the issue. RARA is, I believe, a 501(c)4 organization (the Foundation being a 501(c)3). Profit is not the motive, per se. Breaking even is a good year. Further, changing the revenue-generating model would likely do little to alter the regulatory issues related to gaining any and all waivers and meeting all the other requirements associated with conducting the races.

Further, removing the additional components of the event (e.g. airshow, commercial/vendor operations, etc.) would significantly detract from the essence of the event itself. While it’s true the stands are filled with spectators who attend to watch “steely-eyed missile men” defy the odds as they round the sticks, they also attend to enjoy all that goes with that…vendors, airshow acts, and the historical ties to a bygone era. If not, we’d be watching Cirrus’, Bonanza’s, and Gulfstreams instead of T-6’s, Pitts, Seafury’s, Bearcat’s, and Mustangs, et al.

IAC (a division of EAA) among other things sets what one would regard as fairly standard rules of operations which include, “Fly at a safe and conservative altitude.” I’m guessing operating a P-51 in a 3.5 G turn at 500mph less than 100 feet off the deck would not be considered “safe and conservative.”

Bottom line: the revenue structure of RARA is not the issue. Assessing the events technical and operational aspects of the air races, as it exists and has existed for almost 5 decades, is the issue. How can we make the event safer while preserving the event as we know it? To do otherwise jeopardizes the very essence of the air races themselves.

There exists a middle ground, I believe. And, I believe, we can probably all agree that regardless of the administrative, revenue, or other structural aspects of RARA and the manner in which the event is conducted, none of that would address, let alone prevent, the events of 16Sep11.

Now, all the above…and $5.00…will get you a latte at Starbucks!

Here’s to September, we race. And in doing so, honor all those who where injured and those who can no longer enjoy witnessing or participating in the Fastest Motorsport in the World.
                  Last edited by Air Boss; 03-13-2012, 09:17 PM.
                  Owen Ashurst
                  Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                  http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Well said. I've been watching Air Races since Cleveland days & all that happens between races is needed. Safety is & always will be the #1 item. You can not always predict what is going to happen no matter what rules are in place. Looking forward to Sept. 2012 RACES.
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Since I'm really close to edge of "the loop", I know not what PRS permits are. Could someone please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance !!!

Comment

Pilots Racing School

Ya gotta be checked out as safe and competent in the class you want to enter. This Spring, fly to Stead in yer racer, or a comparable bird from that class, and show the folks you can ride that pony during PRS.

Having a green light for PRS, is a good sign for September action.
                        '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Thank you for that. It certainly is good news !!!! If I had a plane, a pilots license, and a lot of money - I'd be there !!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Comment

If you are asking what permits are, there are pemits and waivers that must be issued in order that an airport/area can be shut down and normal flight envelopes for those areas exceeded.....I never thought these would be a problem. If the were, lots of airshows wouldnt happen.
                            My area of concern is the Insurance. Having insurance for PRS is one thing. Any ole plane at anytime anywhere in this country can crash into a house. The problem, IMHO and unencoubered by the thought process, is that that the Nevada state legislature needs to pass a law that not only is a well written disclaimer statment signed and witnessed for anyone attending the races iron clad in court, such as the one we sign to camp out at Oshkosh, but that if one does sign such a statement, their relatives can not sue. Unfortunately, we live in a sick society where everyone is a victum and there is no personal responsibility.

Comment

As judges, and as I suspect all other "participants" must do, we sign a pretty robust waiver in order to stand at the sticks. That said, it's not iron-clad...and no waiver can be.

Fact remains, our judicial system is set up this way for a reason. Regardless of any legislative action, court, or regulatory requirement, anyone can file suit at any time. Nothing will preclude an "injured party" from doing so.

And as is often the case in matters like these, counsel will "judge shop" in order to find the most favorable court, assuming they have jurisdiction and the plantiff has standing in that court.

It's just the way it is and frankly...as much as we all may dislike certain aspects of it...it's the best system man has devised for deliberating and assessing the facts of a case.
                              Owen Ashurst
                              Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                              http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X