Old Lancaster Ca. video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Lancaster Ca. video

P-51 Mustang - Chuck Lyford #8 BARDAHL Special (White)_ - this is 1965 footage of a race in Lancaster Ca, recently given to Chuck, my Father, by a fan. I p...

Re: Old Lancaster Ca. video

That's cool stuff. I'll have to forward the link to Lyford tomorrow. He'll get a kick out of it. I bet Ben Hall would too.

Comment

My dad gave the video to Chuck at the air racing symposium and I believe his daughter put that up. That's my dad at the 2:00 mark.

Comment

Is Chuck Lyfords #8 now owned by Doug Driscoll & called Section Eight? It is now in the hanger at St. Geoge,Ut @ the Western Sky Warbird Museum. I'm a docent @the museum. The Blue Angels are to be here 3-17 & 18. There will be a F22 & V22 here also along with an airshow.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

In the '66 Reno and this video you can see that the courses were ovals.
          That kept the speeds down!
          Chris...

Comment

Outstanding Sir. I could not help but cry a little bit as I watched.
            Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoNQXmMTXBk&feature=plcp[/YT]

Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Looks like Paine Field and Dwight Thorn helping Lyford strap in. Could even be the same hangar Paul Allen's collection is housed in today?

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
                  Looks like Paine Field and Dwight Thorn helping Lyford strap in. Could even be the same hangar Paul Allen's collection is housed in today?
                  It's across the ramp from Allen's collection. If I recall correctly, Lyford and Hall kept their stuff in the old 'alert' hangars that the Stormbirds Project is in now. Same hangar that Miss America was in for a while in the '80's.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                    It's across the ramp from Allen's collection. If I recall correctly, Lyford and Hall kept their stuff in the old 'alert' hangars that the Stormbirds Project is in now. Same hangar that Miss America was in for a while in the '80's.
                    Thanks. So I go to Google Earth to figure out where the old ADC F-102 alert hangars are (were) and see that there appears to be a flying event underway at the Paul Allen facility. You can see people walking over to the viewing area by the parallel taxiway and the FW190 is parked in front of Allen's hangar. There's a 262 visible on the runway side of the Stormbirds hangar. Can't see what the crowd is walking out to see fly though.

Comment

It would be interesting to find out how many of the planes in this video are still flying today, and what happened to the ones that aren't....from the looks of the clothing styles in the video, I'd say it was made sometime in the 60s...I was just a little squirt back then, but I still remember an airshow my Dad took me to and the Thunderbirds performed in their F-100s...I think it was in Ft. Wayne, IN...

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
                        It would be interesting to find out how many of the planes in this video are still flying today, and what happened to the ones that aren't....from the looks of the clothing styles in the video, I'd say it was made sometime in the 60s...I was just a little squirt back then, but I still remember an airshow my Dad took me to and the Thunderbirds performed in their F-100s...I think it was in Ft. Wayne, IN...

The first film was shot at the 1965 Los Angeles races at Lancaster/Fox Field.

--Chuck Lyford's P-51 #8 "Bardahl Special" is now Doug Driscoll's "Section Eight" in Idaho.

--Ben Hall's #2 P-51 "Seattle Miss" is now Jon Vasely's "Live Bait".

--Darryl Greenamyer's P-38 #1 Yippee became Revis Sermon's "Scatterbrain Kid" and was destroyed in a fatal accident in 1974.

--Dave Allender's #19 P-51 "Wayfarer's Club Special" is now Doc Hisey's "Miss America".

--Bill Stead's #80 F8F "Smirnoff" (flown by Mira Slovak) was ultimately sold to Chub Smith and was destroyed in a fatal accident in 1980.

--E. D. Weiner's bronze P-51 #14 (the pylon racer) N335 is still owned by E. D.'s widow Valerie Bozner and a restored hangar queen.

--E. D. Weiner's checkerboard P-51 #14 (the x-country racer) is now "Lady B" in Delaware

--Richard Vartinan's #11 P-51 "Little One" (flown by Lyle Shelton) is in storage in San Diego.

--Clay Lacy's #64 P-51 "California Airmotive" is still with Clay Lacy Aviation in Van Nuys.

And both the B-17 and P-26 are still part of the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, CA.

Comment

Jim, thanks for the info!!! How did you know all that?

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
                            Jim, thanks for the info!!! How did you know all that?
                            Always a student of the sport, Grampi....

Comment

And in the first video wasn't the dark Mustang that Lyford was racing alongside the Maytag Mustang, N332, flown by Russ Schleeh?

Comment

Working...
                              X