X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Stead Footage

Not 1964 as title says.
    Big Jim?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=hN-acNLwG2o#!

Re: Old Stead Footage

Originally posted by FENCELINER View Post
    No, it's 1966, the first year at Stead. Great footage! Chuck Hall in the soon-to-be Red Baron, E.D. Weiner, Sandy Falconer, Chuck Klussman, Darryl Greenamyer, and some guy named Shelton in a big yellow Sea Fury!

But the kind of stuff that I enjoy is the short snippits of stuff like Bill Falck in Rivits and Elaine Loening in her Myers 200. There's even kind of a cool cameo of actor Cliff Robertson!

Comment

F-106's too!!

Comment

Way cool....thanks!
        Chris almost finished with his time machine to go back to old races....

Comment

And the housing density surrounding Stead.

Comment

Awesome video.. thanks for posting it!

It brings up a few more questions for you Big Jim...

What year did the bi/tri planes have the dog fight demo?

Also while not shown in this vid, the unlimiteds used to do a victory roll entering the cool down after a race. When did they stop doing that?
            Was that the FAA's doing?

Who was that doing the one wheel landings in the yellow P-51. I thought I saw a Rockwell on the tail at one pass, but not 100% sure. Just wondering if that was Bob Hoover.

Man there was low passes in that vid ... When did they institute the flying below the pylon rule?

Comment

Was Elaine Loening related to Grover Loening?

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee View Post

Who was that doing the one wheel landings in the yellow P-51. I thought I saw a Rockwell on the tail at one pass, but not 100% sure. Just wondering if that was Bob Hoover.

MOST definitely.

I remember seeing this model at the store in the 70's, before I started attending the races. I sure wish now that I had bought it then:

Comment

Still have the original 1966 race program with the realty section insert for the planned Silver Knolls housing developement.....I was not quite 10 years old.
                  Money was short, slept in our sleeping bags with my late father and late older brother between cars in the parking area just outside the gates.
                  Other than a one year lost to my military training, 911 and last year...I have attended every year.
                  However now I am attending with my younger brother and sister Matt and Maureen.

I remember Cliff Robertson ( all of us kids watched him in PT-109)attending but I don't recall the F-106's...only recall the RF-101's.
                  I'll be damned if this history comes to an end because of one accident.
                  Thank you for posting this from YouTube, only a few snapshots from then.
                  Rampking

Comment

Originally posted by IcePaq View Post
                    I thought she was related to Mike Loening (P-51 pilot) ?
                    Rampking

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee View Post
                      Awesome video.. thanks for posting it!

It brings up a few more questions for you Big Jim...

What year did the bi/tri planes have the dog fight demo?

Also while not shown in this vid, the unlimiteds used to do a victory roll entering the cool down after a race. When did they stop doing that?
                      Was that the FAA's doing?

Man there was low passes in that vid ... When did they institute the flying below the pylon rule?

That was Hoover's Mustang, but he didn't get the Rockwell International paint job until 1972. From '64-71 at Reno it was yellow with a brown trim stripe down the fuselage and the North American Aviation logo on the tail.

Comment

Originally posted by IcePaq View Post
                        By marriage, yes.

Elaine was Elaine DuPont...brother of Mike DuPont who raced a biplane. Elaine raced a Myers 200 in the Ladies Stock Class, and was married to Mike Loening...who was Grover Loening's son.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                          By marriage, yes.

Elaine was Elaine DuPont...brother of Mike DuPont who raced a biplane. Elaine raced a Myers 200 in the Ladies Stock Class, and was married to Mike Loening...who was Grover Loening's son.
                          From The DuPont's? I'd think not, or he would have been flying an Unlimited.

Comment

Originally posted by rampking View Post
                            Money was short, slept in our sleeping bags with my late father and late older brother between cars in the parking area just outside the gates.

Sure wish we could do that again these days...The first time ('81) was bags under the stars, then tents in later years after a VERY wet 1982.

Those truly were the best of (air race) times for me...We use to "bunk down" near the old yellow firehouse in the 80's, long since torn down. I think that area is fenced in now too.

(...thinking of past pleasant memories...
                            Last edited by AirDOGGe; 03-11-2012, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                              From The DuPont's? I'd think not, or he would have been flying an Unlimited.
                              Nope...I met a guy in Idaho several years ago that helped prepare the biplane and had pictures of it. Among other things, custom designed and built cantilever wings were installed significantly reducing drag by eliminating the bracing wires and replacing the N-struts with thin, non-load carrying I-struts.
                              Last edited by Skyracer; 03-11-2012, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X