1978 Stearman Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 Stearman Crash

Does anyone remember the Stearman crash in front of the Reserve Seats in 1978? The way I remember it the pilot was attempting to release the banner on the ramp in front of the stands. He had his head out of the cockpit looking at the banner. The plane kept going slower and slower. I think the people in the stands may have known he was going stall before he did. When the stall finally did occurred the plane went down flat, the wheels broke off, the prop bent and the engine smoked. The pilot climbed out and seemed to be uninjured.

The reason I am asking about this is because the NTSB report (below) indicates the plane "stalled while attempting to lift an advertising banner". If that is correct than my memory must be really getting messed up in my old age.

Thank you.

FILE DATE LOCATION AIRCRAFT DATA INJURIES FLIGHT PILOT DATA
    F S M/N PURPOSE
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3-2391 78/9/16 RENO,NV BOEING E75N1 CR- 0 0 1 COMMERCIAL COMMERCIAL, AGE 34, 747
    TIME - 1035 N1943B PX- 0 0 0 AERIAL ADVERTISING TOTAL HOURS, 90 IN TYPE,
    DAMAGE-SUBSTANTIAL OT- 0 0 0 NOT INSTRUMENT RATED.
    NAME OF AIRPORT - RENO STEAD
    DEPARTURE POINT INTENDED DESTINATION
    RENO,NV LOCAL
    TYPE OF ACCIDENT PHASE OF OPERATION
    STALL: MUSH IN FLIGHT: OTHER
    PROBABLE CAUSE(S)
    PILOT IN COMMAND - FAILED TO OBTAIN/MAINTAIN FLYING SPEED
    REMARKS- STALLED WHILE ATTEMPTING TO LIFT ADVERTISING BANNER.
    Last edited by nevadasky; 03-09-2012, 07:57 PM. Reason: None

Re: 1978 Stearman Crash

I had just sat down in the stands, and as I remember it, he came along to pick up the banner, and pitched up.......and obviously stalled. As I remember it, he never really got the nose down to recover, and the airplane settled in a flat position. He hit right out in front of us. The tires went flying. As I remember it seemed to take several minutes before the pilot got out.....I figured he had broken his back or something, but I believe he was alright. Just prior to this, and RC Stearman had just picked up a banner........successfully. Yes, as I remember it, the crash happened during a banner pickup. Now, which one of our memories is failing?? What was the question?
    Brian

Comment

I remember it was during the pick-up.
      Chris...

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I do recall it seemed to take awhile for the pilot to get out of the cockpit. I suspect he might have been a little short after the accident. When the plane hit the ground a great deal of energy went thru the airframe, seat, parachute and then his back. Hopefully he did not receive a compression fracture of the spine. I know the plane was re-built and was able to fly another day, I hope he was too.

Comment

My friend and I were sitting in the general admission seating when the pilot dropped off a "Welcome Air Race Fans" and picked up a "Happy Birthday -----?" (or vice versa) banner and my friend Jake said "he's going to stall". After the Stearman pancaked the pilot just sat there for a few minutes before jumping out. He appeared to be unhurt, just embarrassed and totally upset with himself. If I remember correctly the first thing he did was kick the airplane in disgust. (with himself).

Comment

Working...
          X