Miss America Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss America Question

Gorgeous bird...great history...but hazy modification details. From pictures (this year will be my first visit to Reno), I can see that her wings are clipped & flared like Dago Red's or precious Metal's old tips, her belly scoop has been profiled for less drag, and the engine does not sound stock (from videos I've watched)...sounds like it has the prop reduction gearing of the big boys' Merlins (Dago, Strega, Voodoo, RRIII, etc.). What's holding her back from being as fast as, say, RRIII was? IS her engine lightly modified or is it a full race motor?
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Re: Miss America Question

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
    Gorgeous bird...great history...but hazy modification details. From pictures (this year will be my first visit to Reno), I can see that her wings are clipped & flared like Dago Red's or precious Metal's old tips, her belly scoop has been profiled for less drag, and the engine does not sound stock (from videos I've watched)...sounds like it has the prop reduction gearing of the big boys' Merlins (Dago, Strega, Voodoo, RRIII, etc.). What's holding her back from being as fast as, say, RRIII was? IS her engine lightly modified or is it a full race motor?
    Miss America has a Rick Shanholzer race motor, similar to what the Galloping Ghost had last year.

The only thing holding her back is Doc Hisey's pocketbook.

Comment

I CAN ASSURE YOU THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH DOC'S POCKETBOOK.
      DOC JUST WANTS TO HAVE FUN, RUN THE PYLONS SAFELY AND TAKE
      HOME ANOTHER TROPHY FOR THE COLLECTION.
      MISS A HAS A WELL PREPARED RACE MOTOR IF SHE FINDS HERSELF IN
      THE RIGHT CONTINTION FOR THE CHECKERED FLAG, THEN HE WOULD
      LIKELY APPLY SOME MORE MANIFOLD PRESSURE.
      SHE WAS IN THE DIRT ONCE AND WE DON'T WANT TO SEE HER BACK
      THERE EVER AGAIN. @90 IN. OF MP, THE OILFILTER SPLIT AND EVACUATED MOST ALL HER OIL .
      DOC, OF COARSE DID A GREAT JOB OF GETTING HER ON THE GROUND.
      SO, WHY PUSH HARD IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO.
      CHEERS-GHOST

Comment

Good-day,
        #11, is capable of things that we haven't seen. Had it not been for what Ghostrider stated above, there would have been some pretty fast laps turned that year.

JT

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
          Miss America has a Rick Shanholzer race motor, similar to what the Galloping Ghost had last year.
          Wellllll, not quite... There might be more to the bottom end than meets the eye.

SA

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
            What's holding her back from being as fast as, say, RRIII was? IS her engine lightly modified or is it a full race motor?
            RRIII benefitted from having some of the most state-of-the-art engine mods ever to turn the pylons at Reno. Add to that some excellent airframe additions and subtractions, an amazing engine builder, and a superb stick actuator, and you have the formula for the 477+ race average we ran few years back (with a fast lap of 489+). I could be wrong, but I'm doubting Reno will ever see speeds like that again from a "Super Stocker" racer that lived as a daily driver 8 months of the year. I sure miss that old girl!

SA

Comment

Right F en on Smee !

Comment

Maybe Dan Martin & Company can find a way to buy "Voodoo"
                Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Smee Again View Post
                  RRIII benefitted from having some of the most state-of-the-art engine mods ever to turn the pylons at Reno. Add to that some excellent airframe additions and subtractions, an amazing engine builder, and a superb stick actuator, and you have the formula for the 477+ race average we ran few years back (with a fast lap of 489+). I could be wrong, but I'm doubting Reno will ever see speeds like that again from a "Super Stocker" racer that lived as a daily driver 8 months of the year. I sure miss that old girl!

SA
                  That was awesome to watch!

Comment

Awesome showing.
                    My video of that race has several exclamations from the crowd around me along the lines of "Where the he!! did Ridge Runner come from?"
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                      Awesome showing.
                      My video of that race has several exclamations from the crowd around me along the lines of "Where the he!! did Ridge Runner come from?"
                      Thanks very much for the kind words. Despite some problems early in the week, once we got things squared away, everything just sort of fell into place. Cumulatively, ALL the mods we put into place worked to near perfection, and I think we even surprised ourselves a bit. In any case, it was an incredible amount of fun, and a memory I'll never forget.

SA

Comment

Originally posted by Smee Again View Post
                        Thanks very much for the kind words. Despite some problems early in the week, once we got things squared away, everything just sort of fell into place. Cumulatively, ALL the mods we put into place worked to near perfection, and I think we even surprised ourselves a bit. In any case, it was an incredible amount of fun, and a memory I'll never forget.

SA
                        Hey Mike, when Dan sold the airplane did all the 'removable' airframe mods go with it, or are they sitting around waiting for a worthy project?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                          Hey Mike, when Dan sold the airplane did all the 'removable' airframe mods go with it, or are they sitting around waiting for a worthy project?
                          NICE 'leading question' !
                          Let's see if you get a bite !
                          Rampking

Comment

Sitting around gathering dust,I was entertaining the idea of making a beer cooler out of the scoop. It could be good for parties.

Comment

Originally posted by MRE View Post
                              Sitting around gathering dust,I was entertaining the idea of making a beer cooler out of the scoop. It could be good for parties.
                              Dude, you kill me! Hope to see you soon!

SA

Comment

Working...
                              X