Radial engine inlet design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radial engine inlet design

I'm building an RV-8 with a radial engine and am currently working on the cowling. I would like to have a cooling setup similar to that of a seafury and built my inlet lip to that spec. Someone recently told me that having such a tight radius at the cowling lip might induce more drag (due to flow separation) than that of a cowling with a larger radius (i.e. Rare Bear). Is there anyone out there with aeronautical engineering experience that can provide some insite to this. Pictures of the project and cowling are at www.facebook.com/radialconversions

Thanks,

Brian
    Last edited by Flyboykelly; 03-02-2012, 01:48 PM.

Re: Radial engine inlet design

As I recall, there have been a few articles on this topic (inlet design) over the years in EAA's Sport Aviation magazine. Assuming you're an EAA member, you can search for the articles on the EAA web site.

Comment

Nice work.

Nice pics too.

A bit more intell would be nice,if you're so inclined.

How long have you been building?

What radial are you going to shoehorn into it?

Fast build or long slow journey?

Brian(B2)

Live Free or Die

Comment

Originally posted by BKB View Post
        Nice work.

Nice pics too.

A bit more intell would be nice,if you're so inclined.

How long have you been building?

What radial are you going to shoehorn into it?

Fast build or long slow journey?

Brian(B2)

Live Free or Die
        Thanks! It's a slow build RV-8. I've been working on it for six years now, just taking my time and having fun with the mod. The mods to the airframe are a raised turtle deck, new firewall top and bottom with new top and forward belly skins. New re lofted intermediate bulkheads and baggage door. And of course a new cowling.

The engine is a Rotec R-3600 9 cyl radial with TBI. Www.rotecengines.com. The eng should be producing around 160-170hp. I've been vary careful to keep the aerodynamics clean to help with the added drag of the engine. The cooling setup will have a larger spinner with a divergent duck to the crank case and an augmented exhaust.

She's not meant to break records, just meant to have some fun! The RV-8 is the poor mans mustang, this is the poor mans Hellcat.

Brian

Comment

Working...
        X