Mr. Hoover is still flying planes...sort of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Hoover is still flying planes...sort of

Bob Hoover Talks P-51 Pilot Through A Landing Gear Issue To A Safe Touchdown

When flying a vintage P-51D Mustang, one of the things a pilot certainly doesn't want to see is a lack of green lights indicating the plane's landing gear are down and locked before landing.

But that's what happened to pilot Chuck Gardner and his passenger Bill Barton Sunday afternoon as they approached Mobile Downtown Airport.

And it was 90-year-old WWII P-51 veteran Bob Hoover to the rescue.

According to a blog appearing on the website Alabama Live, the two were at the end of a scheduled 30 minute flight when only the starboard and tail wheels deployed during preparation for landing. Gardner was put in touch by radio with Hoover, who instructed him on a few maneuvers he knew to coax the stuck gear out of the wheel well. One of them worked, and the plane landed safely with no structural damage, and no damage to either of the souls on board.

Gardner flew the plane out over Mobile Bay and then over the Mobile River Delta and executed about 30-40 minutes of positive and negative G maneuvers, described by Barton as being "like a really neat roller coaster." He said he eventually heard a "jarring sound," and Gardner announce that he had three green.

Gardner said later that a gear-up landing in the P-51 was probably survivable, but that Hoover's efforts prevented extensive damage to a rare and valuable airplane. The P-51D is owned by Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Dallas. It was taking part in an air nostalgia weekend at Alabama Aviation Center.

Re: Mr. Hoover is still flying planes...sort of

Awesome story.

Comment

Saw that stroy on Indytransponder...Here is the link..
      http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/loca...e-lands-safely

He did get the ride he always wanted and well......sort of a discount when you look at the issues adding to the time.

Does Mr. Hoover have a book with ALL his trade secrets out there? If not....someone grab a recorder with ALOT of storage space on it.
      John

Loves airplanes and runs freight trains.

Comment

"....someone grab a recorder with ALOT of storage space on it. "

they don't make recorders with that much space.
        i doubt he would know where to begin; UNTIL put in the position to help.
        i've heard it dozens of times on the radio at Reno. its all calm "just fly the plane", till something went wrong, then its all calm "ok, i'm gonna call your ground loop."

Comment

Mr. Hoover to the rescue again!

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
            Mr. Hoover to the rescue again!
            Write-in campaigns never work at the national level, but since we often talk about hypothetical situations here....

Hoover - Sullenberger 2012

Comment

My favorite saying attributed to Mr. Hoover:
              . Never stop flying the airplane. Fly it as far into the crash as possible and then fly the pieces until they stop moving.
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Mr. Hoover--They don't come any better

Comment

This has all made me smile.

What great posts on one of the few "good news" stories lately...

Bob Hver = National Treasure
                  '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                    My favorite saying attributed to Mr. Hoover:
                    Reminds me of a favorite Ron White bit...

A Passenger: "How far do you think we can fly on one engine?"

Ron White: "All the way to the site of the crash."

Ron White: "I bet we beat the ambulance there by 20 minutes."
                    No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                    http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                      Bob Hoover Talks P-51 Pilot Through A Landing Gear Issue To A Safe Touchdown

When flying a vintage P-51D Mustang, one of the things a pilot certainly doesn't want to see is a lack of green lights indicating the plane's landing gear are down and locked before landing.

But that's what happened to pilot Chuck Gardner and his passenger Bill Barton Sunday afternoon as they approached Mobile Downtown Airport.

And it was 90-year-old WWII P-51 veteran Bob Hoover to the rescue.

According to a blog appearing on the website Alabama Live, the two were at the end of a scheduled 30 minute flight when only the starboard and tail wheels deployed during preparation for landing. Gardner was put in touch by radio with Hoover, who instructed him on a few maneuvers he knew to coax the stuck gear out of the wheel well. One of them worked, and the plane landed safely with no structural damage, and no damage to either of the souls on board.

Gardner flew the plane out over Mobile Bay and then over the Mobile River Delta and executed about 30-40 minutes of positive and negative G maneuvers, described by Barton as being "like a really neat roller coaster." He said he eventually heard a "jarring sound," and Gardner announce that he had three green.

Gardner said later that a gear-up landing in the P-51 was probably survivable, but that Hoover's efforts prevented extensive damage to a rare and valuable airplane. The P-51D is owned by Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Dallas. It was taking part in an air nostalgia weekend at Alabama Aviation Center.

No better stick man than Hoover!

I had a chance to fly with him at Reno in the 80's and was so impressed with him then and he still amazes me with all of his knowledge still at 90 years old. I have always said that if I was racer at Reno there is no other person then him that I would want in the safety plane.

Way to go Mr. R. J. Hoover!

Comment

Originally posted by Airrace7 View Post
                        No better stick man than Hoover!

I had a chance to fly with him at Reno in the 80's and was so impressed with him then and he still amazes me with all of his knowledge still at 90 years old. I have always said that if I was racer at Reno there is no other person then him that I would want in the safety plane.

Way to go Mr. R. J. Hoover!
                        Well..........I'm thinkin' Big Steve does a pretty good job in the safety plane, but there's no denying that Mr Hoover is more than a legend. His exploits could fill volumes and it's countless the number of times he helped a pilot in trouble. Always cool/ always calm.......one of the best.

Comment

Thing I like most about Mr. Hoover is that he never seems to have put a price tag on his experiences and his time sharing them... I mean.. he will talk to anyone and treat them with respect....

A real straight up guy....
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I am a pretty good "Stick"...survived more "Mardays" than most. Flying a wounded aircraft to a safe landing is a numbers game. Airspeed, altitude, attitude,and commitment to your judgement, albiet the ability to change that commitment at the last moment if need be.(Never decend untill YOU ARE WAY OVER THE INTENDED CRASH SITE) and/or when it is must time to TRAP.

Comment

Well said "Mystical Power". Hope to see you at Reno in the T6 pits.
                              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X