Race Coverage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race Coverage?

Ok, we are weeks away, what are the chances of this "out of vacation east coaster" getting some daily race news this year?

From what I understand Wayne is practically still in debt from last year, so I bet there will be little or no coverage here. Cannot blame a soul, and I understand. One of the 'other' sites has had its setbacks, and that is understandable as well.

Paintboy mentioned something in the countdown post, but it kind of got buried among other issues...I know it is probably confidential at this point, but can you share more? I am guessing this will not be live coverage, but if it is I need time to get a satellite installed to pick up the obscure station that is willing to carry it!

I guess at this point I am at least hoping somebody that is local to Reno may post the major headlines on the message board here nightly? I'll put up some beer....

September sucks if you're not spending it in Reno...
    ~Jim

Coverage

Jim,

What I refered to will not be live coverage but something else. Can not go into detail at this point, but stay tuned. There are other web sites devoted to aviation and air racing in particular and though I am sure Wayne will be posting daily information from Reno you should be able to get updates on a daily basis from any of these web sites. Hang in there.

Comment

Re: Race Coverage?

Originally posted by glider90
      Ok, we are weeks away, what are the chances of this "out of vacation east coaster" getting some daily race news this year?

From what I understand Wayne is practically still in debt from last year, so I bet there will be little or no coverage here.
      Jim.. We're always in debt here that's not what will "slow" our coverage this year..

A bit of background, and then it's back to work for me....

In year's past, we have based our September operations at the Reno Stead Airport, one year, as a guest of the IF1 campers out back of the RARA hangar, for the past several years, as a guest of American Air Racing, based behind and powered by, their electric and phone/internet connections.

This was done in a sponsored motorhome, a sponsorship that dried up this year and we were left with little option other than staying in town at a hotel, which we are doing.

Now.. onto the "daily coverage" level that we've provided in the past..

It was very satisfying to get the "news" out, daily, sometimes on an almost "as it happens" basis... however... The drain on our time and resources while at the event actually was detremental to our overall coverage of the event.

In other words, sometimes you are TOO close to the action to actually get to see it.. In, again, some more "other" words... Often, while we were struggling to get out a daily report, other, perhaps more important stories were going unnoticed by us, because, instead of being "out there" with the competitors, we were laboring away inside a hangar several hundred feet from the action..

I know, there has been and probably always will be some fairly stiff competition between the various websites that cover this sport to "get the story out first" I think this has been, and will be, a huge mistake by all involved if it continues.

Much of the "Real" story of Reno happens after hours, be it at the "Pylon Bar" or in the pits, or at a hotel room.. wherever.. MUCH of the story of the week is happening, unnoticed by the reporters of same.. IF... they choose to leave the event or bar early and chain themselves to a keyboard to "beat the competition"..

All of that being said.. We will have limited daily reports, I can not say at what level at this point, we're still in negotiations with an individual to see if we can get someone to be "chained to the keyboard" for a fee...

We had two people lined up, which would have been perfect, however, one had prior committments that were thought to be cancelled but were not, the other, is working for two newspapers, but at this time, has not been able to be granted media access.. If that second person is available, meaning, needing $$ to get in, we will pay the admission and part of expenses in order to have them at the keyboard during the day.. if they are available..

As the editor/publisher/photographer of this "ezine"... I can not do my job reporting and journaling the sport from the inside of a hangar, or from a hotel room several miles from the event..

Anyone who thinks they can and still get the "real story" of the event is making a huge mistake and cheating both themselves and the fans in the process..

You might have to wait a few days to get the details of the "real story" but in the end, will it not be worth it? Most of the fans will be at the event anyway and unable to check the site until a day or two later..

Those of you who are not fortunate enough to make it this year, we'll try to do our best to keep you informed.. but be patient.. It'll be worth it in the end.

Wayne Sagar
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne - get back to me.

Wayne - It sounds like you need to be headquartered a llittle closer to the action at Stead next year. Get a hold of me at my e-mail address and I'll fill you in.
        Mike Arnold

Comment

Re: Wayne - get back to me.

Originally posted by fenceliner01
          Wayne - It sounds like you need to be headquartered a llittle closer to the action at Stead next year. Get a hold of me at my e-mail address and I'll fill you in.
          Mike Arnold
          Hi Mike,

Being closer would have been good... especially after some of the parties out there in the evening!!!

As it worked out, GriffonGirl did a bang up job of it working directly from Stead!

Shoot me an email via the "submit" button at the bottom of the front page, I'd put my address in here but, it's already harvested by the "spambots" so much, I hesitate to do it! The Submit one is one that I'm working on killing asap so I can limit the absolutely HUGE amount of spam that is killing me, especially during events when my computer is not on continually and checking every few minutes.. It's filtered once downloaded, somewhat, but I'm just buried in it when I'm on a dialup as it takes quite a long time to sort through it on the server prior to downloading those that I do want...

I'm interested!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne - I must be an idiot, because I can't find the "submit" button, so I'll take a chance here. Post me at arnoldm@mindspring.com, and don't be suprised if you get a return message identifying your message as Spam - that's my filter at work - it only fills my inbox with adresses in my book.

Comment

Working...
            X