Ralph Payne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ralph Payne

Monday, Feb. 13th marks 10 years since I lost my close friend and mentor Ralph Payne to cancer. There are still a lot of the old school air racing cadre around who appreciate Ralph's contributions to the sport, even if the new generation doesn't even know his name.

Ralph raced hydroplanes, was a regular name in the automotive 'speed shops' of Southern California in the hey-day, played at the Bonneville speed-flats, crewed for Clay Lacy, Leroy Penhall, Mike Geren & Ron Reynolds, and for many years was head wrench for the various race planes of the late Gary Levitz. He built/restored a couple of race Mustangs, acted as tech advisor in the building of the Sea Fury Blind Man's Bluff, was responsible for care and feeding of actor Cliff Robertson's Spitfire, and was Unlimited Class Tech Inspector at Reno, Mojave, and Miami in the late '70's and early '80's.

There is still a void in my heart left when Ralph passed, but I haven't done anything in racing over the last 10 years where he hasn't influenced me with a "What Would Ralph Do?" conscience. And whenever I have pulled a bonehead at something, I see him raising his eyebrows at me over the top of his mirrored glasses and hear his voice saying "Bradley, you know better than that..."

I miss that man every day, and I just wanted people to know that he hasn't been forgotten.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Big_Jim; 02-13-2012, 11:39 AM.

Re: Ralph Payne

Very nice post. We should all be so lucky to have a person like that in our lives. I am lucky enough to call the person that fits that description in my life, Dad. Furthermore, we should strive to be that type of an influence to at least one person in our little worlds....Thanks for the reminder of Mr. Payne (or our own Mr. Payne) Big Jim...
    Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

I miss him too. I love the photo you sent me of him changing out spark plugs, with that silly can of MEK.
      sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
      http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Great tribute. I'm sure we all have a "Ralph Payne". Life is so short. I read "High Flight" just about every day & think about all those that have touched my life.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Great post, from one of those "too young" to have known who he was. What's the story on the Fw-190 he's leaning against?
          No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
          http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

That was Doug Champlin's FW-190. Ralph was in the middle of negotiating the sale of the Champlin collection to the Museum of Flight when the picture was taken.

The FW is now with Paul Allen's collection because the MoF didn't want to cough up the change Champlin wanted for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
              Monday, Feb. 13th marks 10 years since I lost my close friend and mentor Ralph Payne to cancer. There are still a lot of the old school air racing cadre around who appreciate Ralph's contributions to the sport, even if the new generation doesn't even know his name.

Ralph raced hydroplanes, was a regular name in the automotive 'speed shops' of Southern California in the hey-day, played at the Bonneville speed-flats, crewed for Clay Lacy, Leroy Penhall, Mike Geren & Ron Reynolds, and for many years was head wrench for the various race planes of the late Gary Levitz. He built/restored a couple of race Mustangs, acted as tech advisor in the building of the Sea Fury Blind Man's Bluff, was responsible for care and feeding of actor Cliff Robertson's Spitfire, and was Unlimited Class Tech Inspector at Reno, Mojave, and Miami in the late '70's and early '80's.

There is still a void in my heart left when Ralph passed, but I haven't done anything in racing over the last 10 years where he hasn't influenced me with a "What Would Ralph Do?" conscience. And whenever I have pulled a bonehead at something, I see him raising his eyebrows at me over the top of his mirrored glasses and hear his voice saying "Bradley, you know better than that..."

I miss that man every day, and I just wanted people to know that he hasn't been forgotten.
              Very nicely said!
              I was also grateful to have not only met him but watched him many times do his magic with all the air racing planes he was involved with.

I still remember the time when he had to convince the fire personal that there would be no issues with "Blind's Man Bluff" when they wanted to test the motor running on alcohol. As I remember it was near Al Redick hangar. I still have a polo shirt he gave me with "Blind's Man Bluff" on the back and Levlor blinds on the front.

Great memories and a wonderful man!

Comment

Working...
              X