Pond Racer photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pond Racer photo

I took this photo of the Pond Racer on the ramp Sept. 1989 (I think). As I recall, it had just arrived at Stead. As soon as the props stopped spinning the ground crew rushed out to attach the blowers. Heat was always a problem for them.

I believe that was the same year they had a fire and had to "May-Day" over Pevine prior to the start of a race. In my 36 years out at Stead that was the only time I remember a "May-Day" being called before a race.

That plane was, and still is, ahead of it's time.

Re: Pond Racer photo

My photo
    Attached Files

Comment

I wonder when some "banana republic" country AF figures out that this was a good platform after fitting a GAU gatling in the middle and move pilot a tad after for fighting the drug dealers and terrorists. Original 600 mph speed could be found after 2-4 engines and prop combos at 2 x 1000 hp.
      http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by nevadasky View Post
        I took this photo of the Pond Racer on the ramp Sept. 1989 (I think). As I recall, it had just arrived at Stead. As soon as the props stopped spinning the ground crew rushed out to attach the blowers. Heat was always a problem for them.

I believe that was the same year they had a fire and had to "May-Day" over Pevine prior to the start of a race. In my 36 years out at Stead that was the only time I remember a "May-Day" being called before a race.

That plane was, and still is, ahead of it's time.
        That would have been it's first year, 1991. The fire was on the form-up for the Silver Race on Sunday.

I'm not trying to stir anything up, because I certainly admired the effort and money that Bob Pond put into it, and still miss Rick...but while the 'idea' may have been 'ahead of it's time', the design theory was just all wrong for an airplane to go fast on a race course, regardless of the engine issues that they faced. There was so much 'intersection drag' on that design that the faster it went, the higher the drag got and the law of diminishing return started to impose itself.

Rutan has always designed some very cool airplanes, but this one wasn't one of them. A couple months before Rick was killed he told me that '93 was going to be the last year he was going to fly the plane...that it made him nervous, but he felt he owed it to Mr. Pond to give it 'one last go' at Reno. In the end, he gave everything.

Comment

A very sad story to be sure, but I appreciate people sharing stories and photos of the Pond Racer. It was a fascinating effort, and being before my days at Reno, I've always felt a little starved for information and photos. Thanks for posting.
          No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
          http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

There were certainly a lot of the 'right' people involved with the project, and there was no expense (or promotion) spared with the Pond Racer.

At the time it twisted a lot of the 'establishment' the wrong way with all the grandiose claims that the people associated were making, how they were going to make all warbirds obsolete overnight in the racing world--and after all, that was the root desire behind it all, was to preserve warbirds.

It had a pretty impressive showing it's first year, qualifying at over 400 mph, but it just steadily went downhill after that. I do remember being out on the course as a couple Mustangs and Sea Furies roared by, followed by what was quite literally the sound of two weed-eaters in tandem going past and smiling at it all. But even after the 'original' Pond team was replaced by the Chino gang, the handwriting was on the wall that the project wasn't going to live up to the hype.

The best stories involving the Pond Racer also comes at its expense. Lyle Shelton had some fun with the Pond guys. First time was at the roll-out when they asked Lyle to come and do a fly-by as the reigning 3km holder and current Reno Champion. They asked Lyle to do some low-altitude, high-speed passes in front of the crowd. Well, let's just say that the aftermath of which left some pretty big holes to fill for the little white mosquito racer. Then in '92, while on the way to Reno, Lyle stopped to refuel at Mojave, just as the Pond guys were launching. Just to mess with their heads a bit, Lyle went up to the tower, called the FAA, and told them he wanted to attempt a 'point to point' record from Mojave to Reno...and promptly went out and set it and was quietly gloating about it by the time the Pond Racer made it to Stead.

And, of course, there was Howard Pardue's Texass-sized stab at them after Fury thrashed the Pond on the race course: The big banner that said "Round Motored Monster Sucks Pond Dry".

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
              There were certainly a lot of the 'right' people involved with the project, and there was no expense (or promotion) spared with the Pond Racer.

At the time it twisted a lot of the 'establishment' the wrong way with all the grandiose claims that the people associated were making, how they were going to make all warbirds obsolete overnight in the racing world--and after all, that was the root desire behind it all, was to preserve warbirds.

It had a pretty impressive showing it's first year, qualifying at over 400 mph, but it just steadily went downhill after that. I do remember being out on the course as a couple Mustangs and Sea Furies roared by, followed by what was quite literally the sound of two weed-eaters in tandem going past and smiling at it all. But even after the 'original' Pond team was replaced by the Chino gang, the handwriting was on the wall that the project wasn't going to live up to the hype.

The best stories involving the Pond Racer also comes at its expense. Lyle Shelton had some fun with the Pond guys. First time was at the roll-out when they asked Lyle to come and do a fly-by as the reigning 3km holder and current Reno Champion. They asked Lyle to do some low-altitude, high-speed passes in front of the crowd. Well, let's just say that the aftermath of which left some pretty big holes to fill for the little white mosquito racer. Then in '92, while on the way to Reno, Lyle stopped to refuel at Mojave, just as the Pond guys were launching. Just to mess with their heads a bit, Lyle went up to the tower, called the FAA, and told them he wanted to attempt a 'point to point' record from Mojave to Reno...and promptly went out and set it and was quietly gloating about it by the time the Pond Racer made it to Stead.

And, of course, there was Howard Pardue's Texass-sized stab at them after Fury thrashed the Pond on the race course: The big banner that said "Round Motored Monster Sucks Pond Dry".
              In the most respectful way, those are some pretty funny stories. The Mojave to Reno record run is pretty awesome. The "Round Motored monster sucks Pond dry" is also pretty amusing. It just goes to show that newer isn't always better/faster.

Will

Comment

Fascinating plane. I'm sorry I never got to see it round the pylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post

Got to agree, if Mr Pond didn't come off all the "this is going save warbirds, there being butchered into race planes" crap. I'd say more where resurrected to become race planes when there wasn't much value stock. Then as we know later to become TF's. The add the brashness that everyone will want one because there going to be so much faster. It sure didn't set them up for failure, but made it's downfall more pronounced.

Just my two cents, I could be wrong.

Comment

IMHO, as neat as that plane was, and maybe all the great ideas that were put into it, I just dont see it, and maybe 10 more similarly built planes as being the "main event" draw anytime soon. I think people still want the romance that a true warbird (stock or modified) bring.....ok, I'll shut up now. Great stories btw!!!

Anyway, I think anything with the #21 is great!!!
                    Attached Files
                    Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Would a twin engined aircraft be allowed in the Sports class ?
                      I would think putting the pilot in one of the booms would have saved quite a bit of drag.

I think Pond had the right idea and that we have to move on from using old Warbirds as the basis for the racers. Hopefully we will see some modern designs in the sport again and hopefully some modern engines will prove competitive.

My ideal race will have as much variety as possible so will include both warbirds and specials.

I have only been to Reno once but luckily it was 1991.

Comment

Originally posted by xmh53wrench View Post
                        I just dont see it, and maybe 10 more similarly built planes as being the "main event" draw anytime soon.
                        Ummn... Sport Class??
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                          Ummn... Sport Class??
                          I don't see RV-8s being the future.... In all seriousness, the class has been in a decline the past few years.

Comment

Working...
                          X