2011 Prize Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Prize Money

I know the RARA has plenty on their plate already regarding last years tragedy...But I was just wondering if something I heard was true...I was told that the air race pilots have not been paid for anything regarding last years event...I know that the races were not held in full, but I would assume that the participants would receive some portion of the prize moneys as they did have the expenses of preparation, travel, setting up shop at Stead , qualifying, and getting in some racing...Possibly RARA just does not have the funds though I think its the sponsors that put up the money...I may have been misinformed so if they have issued payments please disregard my post...But if the participants have not received anything, how would RARA expect them to be anxious to return for 2012?...I am sure the pilots and owners love the sport, but if they had considerable expenses paid out I bet some of them hoped to recoup some money via the races...Again I understand RARA is dealing with an unusual situation, but I am just curious if anyone knows anything about this.

Re: 2011 Prize Money

Originally posted by crnelius View Post
    ...But if the participants have not received anything, how would RARA expect them to be anxious to return for 2012?...
    The love of air racing for one reason. I 'm not sure but I believe most if not all of the racers told the RARA to keep the prize money for post-traqedy expenses, just as the crowds did with ticket refunds when the races were cancelled in 2001 due to the 9/11 event.

And besides, if the racers didn't return, then where would they go to race their aircraft?

As the saying goes, "It's the only game in town".

Comment

I'm not sure I remember why we ever went down the road we did, but it's always sort of been taboo to discuss prize amounts here... I realize this is a different subject, but it too is one probably best left to internal debate among the aircraft owners/division members. I'm sure RARA will deal them the best hand they can.
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I can't speak for other classes, but there was a discussion between RARA and the sport class regarding prize money for 2011. An understanding between these two groups was reached that allows the money to be put towards the continuation of the races.

There is a little more to it, but that's the gist of it.
        Scotty G

Comment

As a racer (ground level, that is), I dont know of anyone, including myself that ever participated in a race thinking they would cover any part of their expenses. If I did, that was a bonus....I have the first dollar, and 135 trophies in my garage, that was all the pay I received for many years, they mean more to me than the second or any subsequent dollars I received.

I believe they received their trophies though....
          Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Originally posted by xmh53wrench View Post
            ....I have the first dollar, and 135 trophies in my garage,....
            THAT would make a nice picture!!

Good Luck in the future!!

Comment

Originally posted by mgbf4u View Post
              THAT would make a nice picture!!

Good Luck in the future!!
              LOL, thanks, actually it would take 3 pics, now, as they are all over the garage, but here is a pic of the first one,
              @14, first win

and some in the background

sorry to hijack....and the huge pics....hope they resize
              Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Way COOL man! One wrench to another.
                "Some things under Heaven are just cooler than Hell"
                Ray Wiley Hubbard

Comment

Originally posted by xmh53wrench View Post
                  As a racer (ground level, that is), I dont know of anyone, including myself that ever participated in a race thinking they would cover any part of their expenses. If I did, that was a bonus....I have the first dollar, and 135 trophies in my garage, that was all the pay I received for many years, they mean more to me than the second or any subsequent dollars I received.

I believe they received their trophies though....
                  Its true most of the Reno racers can only hope for a fraction of the expenses to be covered by prize money, but I know of a couple that operate on budgets that were really helped from the prize money they have received in the past...so I think there may be a few exceptions out there.

They love the sport very much, so much so in fact that they spend every extra dollar they have just to keep the airplanes and to be able to participate so I could see where receiving or passing on prize money might be a tough call if it would have been substantial enough to help...They face either taking the money and jeopardizing the future of the event or passing on the money and possibly not being able to race in the future...Guess for some it might be a lose lose situation.
                  Last edited by johnnyrace; 01-29-2012, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Racing at Reno is like sportsman racing of sport cars in the 50's. Once you cannot spare the money spent, you quit going.
                    Chris...

Comment

I am very lucky because I round up a fair amount of sponsor money for racing, I am not upset with rara , I would have told them to keep the money anyway, I did not like that we didnt recieve our trophys or our standings.
                      I do think that the racers should be compensated other ways like free prs for qual racers or entry fees for 2012 waived, just my little take

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
                        Racing at Reno is like sportsman racing of sport cars in the 50's. Once you cannot spare the money spent, you quit going.
                        Chris...
                        Chris, I'm sure you remember Jerry Duty's tour of...well....duty. In 1974 when Lyle Shelton and Bob Love were negotiating prize money with Jerry on behalf of the PRPA Unlimited Class, both sides started playing hardball, and Jerry's comment was something to the effect of "You guys would race for a bucket of dog sh*t".

It was meant in a derogatory manner, of course, but there was so much truth to it. Nobody has ever raced for the prize money at Reno. EVER. It's 'there'...but it's not a determining factor to go racing.

Comment

I always considered Jerry Duty the sports biggest detriment to air racing growth and never changed that opinion even when I became a teenager!

As to Jerry's crass point; It's true, and even Tiger made the same comment but characterized the winnings as a case of beer.

Lyle Shelton was an early promoter along with Darryl, Clay, and many non-pilots. I lost faith when a well known pilot undermined a promising series made up of 5 races with Reno as the final "Championship", well organized like NASCAR and sponsored by some well heeled store chains.

Like airline pilot groups, the factionalization of pilots makes them their own worst enemy and they'll be racing for beer money until the last pylon is turned.

Chris...
                          Last edited by stuntflyr; 02-02-2012, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                            Chris, I'm sure you remember Jerry Duty's tour of...well....duty. In 1974 when Lyle Shelton and Bob Love were negotiating prize money with Jerry on behalf of the PRPA Unlimited Class, both sides started playing hardball, and Jerry's comment was something to the effect of "You guys would race for a bucket of dog sh*t".
                            LOL... I remember that there was an additional bit of "text" in his statement... "if we made you bring the bucket".. That's how I heard it, could be wrong but sounds about right to me...
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Trophy's for 2011 could always be awarded later, say early during the 2012 event. If enough racers wanted it so, then they just need to speak up together to the RARA and I'm sure something could be arranged.

I wouldn't ask the event promoters for free entrance fees or any other costly financial compensations like that though.

It might be hard enough money-wise to run the event this year, as insurance will mostly likely increase and we still don't know how many vendors, fans or even potential fans will attend it after what happened last September. Many of the "un-informed" folk are still spooked by the media's rantings no doubt, and the 2012 Reno Air Races could turn out to be a slow year.

The air races and airshows in general got a bad rap last year to the point where even Red Bull cancelled their so-called "air race" events, possibly for fear of bad publicity. It may take a successful and tragedy-free 2012 airshow season to get things to settle down back to something resembling normal again.

Then again, we could be surprised and find that everyone rallied and went to the races this year, breaking all attendance records.

I think I'll make that my perspective and just keep my fingers crossed until September...

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 02-02-2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X