Thunder Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunder Mustang

So, no John Parker and no Thunder Mustang....

A wonderful airplane and a three time National Champion "uninvited".

How very sad....
    Attached Files

Photo by Birgitta.
    Attached Files

Comment

Free John Parker!

Let's see here...
      Fast approaching is Reno #40, with a slogan of "Freedom to Fly Forever."
      Unless you're John Parker. Or any other Stead tenant.

Comment

John Parker

I have known John for a number of years and can always count on him. I consider him an asset to aviation and Sport Racing and the politics should be put aside. RARA should take the high road. I hope they re-consider. I recently sent this and encourage others to do the same.

Dear Mr. Houghton;

I recently became aware of the dispute between John Parker of American
        Air Racing and RARA. I find the news that John has been un-invited to
        participate in the races this year very disturbing.

As you know, John Parker has been an avid racing fan and participant
        for many years. His continued involvement in the sport for all these
        years and his contributions to it, have been a very positive influence
        for aviation and your event in particular. This should speak volumes
        as to his dedication and level of support for the Reno Air Races.

I am quite distressed that you and your fellow members on the executive
        committee might interpret any effort on his part as a tenant to seek
        more favorable conditions during race week for his airport neighbors
        and fellow aviators as not being supportive of the sport. I view this
        to be a totally separate issue and so should you. I would hope that as
        an aviator wanting to compete in the races that my participation would
        be conditioned on meeting the requirements related to qualifications as
        a pilot, aircraft safety, and compliance with the class rules, etc. as
        opposed to a particular political view on an issue that is not related
        in any way to actual participation in the races.

I respectfully ask that you reconsider your position on this. I think
        the long term best interest of the Reno Air Races is better served by
        having someone as dedicated to this sport as John Parker has been
        participate. I also think the sport racing fan, level of competition,
        and spirit of the race is elevated by having the Thunder Mustang in the
        race.

Thank you for your consideration.

Respectfully;

John McCartney
        Managing Member
        Thunder Builders Group, LLC.

Comment

There has been talk among many of the unlimited racers for years about boycotting the races for a year so that these @55holes in RARA might get a clue. Sport class ought to think about it.

Comment

John Parker and Stead residents v. RARA

I recently sent the note below to RARA. I suggest others do the same.

I can't see anything good coming from this situation. In fact, I can see the airport residents having a legitimate claim against RARA that could result in the races being moved/cancelled/changed in the future.

If enough of us politely state our concern to RARA, maybe we'll have some impact.

Russ

My note to RARA:
            ---------------------------
            To whom it may concern,

RARA is suffering a severe PR problem. This issue in focus is the elimination of John Parker from the event.

John's elimination appears to be completely inappropriate. If, as reported on several web sites, the issue is between Stead tenants and RARA, I don't believe it is fair to punish John as a racer, even if he is the most vocal tenant.

I have been an avid air racing fan for years. I haven't missed a Reno event since 1987. I hate to see actions like this that cause rifts between the racers and the organization. I am also concerned about the viability of the races themselves if issues continue between the airport tenants and RARA.

I'm sure I don't know all the facts in this case. However, I can say that I believe this confrontation is bad for this year's event and more importantly may severely impact future racing at Stead.

Russ Nichols

Comment

RARA's side?

Incase you haven't seen it; Wayne has posted an article about the RARA-American Air Racing dispute which includes an interview with Houghton. Please read it if you have the time, it's not too long and is uses mostly small words so we all can understand.

RARA - AAR

I did not realize that John's Glassair # 300, has been uninvited as well. It was to be flown by another pilot and was on the entry list at first.

#300 finished the gold in 1998 @ 291 mph in 4th place with an ailing engine. The Thunder Mustang finished 2nd last year. So we are losing two front running aircraft because of this issue.

Personally I find RARA's explanation, rather, lack of an explanation, very disappointing.

Bill Pearce
              younger
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

From the link Bill provided:

Mike Hougton: "It was the unanimous decision of the executive committee to not invite John Parker to race this year. Their reasons are that they feel that people need to be supportive of the efforts of Air Racing to enjoy the benefits of it. Our communication to John is strictly that, based on how this plays out, between you and the organization, then that will determine where it goes in the future."

What about the fans, Mike? You know, the people who make the races successful?

I don't understand the boardmembers' position. "People need to be supportive of the efforts of Air Racing to enjoy the benefits of it".

Sounds like that applies to the fans and the pilots but exempts the RARA BOD.

How do we recall these BOD members?

Don

Comment

Parker

Perhaps we should ALL wear #351 black arm bands in protest???????

Comment

Originally posted by hattend
                    I don't understand the boardmembers' position. "People need to be supportive of the efforts of Air Racing to enjoy the benefits of it"
                    I don't know but I would think that spending the money on an airplane and then fixing it up and flying it at great personal risk in close formation with other airplanes at 50feet off the ground to thrill the fans who come to see this happen is pretty supportive.

Has RARA has never lost a board member at a meeting from an engine falure or airframe breakup. Can the same be said for these unsupportive pilots who cause all this trouble for them?

Unsupportive? Who is the client here?

CF

Comment

"If enough of us POLITLY state our concern to RARA, maybe we'll have some impact"

Russ Nichols

"Politly"? Well, that leaves me out.

Comment

Arm band

What a great idea. I would wear one. I may yet protest by not attending. This action by RARA indicates to me that they don't want what I want. (The most competative racing that can be done). I feel RARA should stop being the 500 lb. Gorilla. It will come back to bite them if they don't do what is best for the fans and racers. Compartmentalize the issues and address them as the separate ones they should be. Testosterone may be clouding their thinking, which actually makes them weaker and with a very negative PR outlook. George lakes

Comment

Originally posted by Reever
                          "If enough of us POLITLY state our concern to RARA
                          This I would ask of anyone posting on this subject. The same "ground rules" for personal attacks against individuals and groups will have to stand in place...

I will not stop anyone from venting frustration, as long as we try to keep it sane and, if possible, polite.

For the sake of all involved, let's conduct ourselves like mature adults in any protest that might be stated by anyone in the forum here.

I'm sure no one wants a war of words to start over all of this. No good solution could come from that.

Thanks In Advance,
                          Wayne Sagar
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

OK So RARA has taken an extreme step, to what? I can see shutting down an airport for periods of time and maybe during all night sometimes but,
                            Is there a rule?
                            has there been an Incident which has harden the rule?
                            Did somebody ask for to much?

I don't want to bash a group that has until now provided a great race.

Personally after the races "saturday night" the only thing around that place is in the hangars and camp grounds, believe me I have walked the tarmac of that place at 9pm and not a soul is around, If a plane did come in nobody would know it.

I think something very important is being left out, not said. So for who?
                            ECVSteve
                            E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
                            Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

John Parker is just another dead soldier in the long war that few fans know about among the others Bob Love, Dave Zeuschel, Lyle Shelton, Tiger Destefani, whether it be Mike Houghton, Jerry Duty, Bill Eck, Stan Brown, or Thorton Audrain, Or Jack "the doggie doctor", the top of the pile at RARA has never had the fans or the racers best interest in mind. Jerry Duty once during a meeting with Lyle Shelton and Bob Love when they were presenting their classes issues, told Lyle and Bob to go ahead and boycott, they would fill the field with stockers and that all the pilots including Lyle and Bob would race their tails off for a bucket of s**t that said winner on it. Well we have all seen RARA step on the racers for years and they will never change.

Comment

Working...
                              X