Sure Is Lonesome Out There In January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure Is Lonesome Out There In January

Last edited by Bigger Al; 10-05-2014, 10:20 AM.

Re: Sure Is Lonesome Out There In January

I detoured out there once in Feb. 1994 while on an unrelated trip to Reno. It certainly is a different place the other 11-1/2 months!

Comment

Stopped by there myself a couple of times off season.
      Felt it was like going to the fairgrounds with no fair, but on a more intense scale. The look and feel is indescribable.

Looking to make a trip out there with the wife soon. I personally intend to go by and sit in the bleachers for my own personal moment of silence......
      Just feels like something I want or need to do..

Tim

Comment

Lonesome....but IMHO a good kind of lonesome

When we still lived in Calif, (lucky for me in the same town I raced at) I frequently stopped by the track during the week, when nobody was around. I think its great to hear and feel the breeze, and in my mind I could still hear and feel the racing in that breeze.....that track is hollowed ground for me. I can only imagine the feeling where embedded in that breeze are 500mph at 2000 hp and the pops of prop blades biting at the air. One of these days, I intend on stopping by Minden-Tahoe on my way home....I hope to hear a certain "ghost" in the breeze (no pun intended)
        Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

What have they done to or around the area of the impact?

Comment

Originally posted by steve D View Post
            What have they done to or around the area of the impact?
            As of a few weeks ago the impact area was surrounded by privacy fencing posted with Do Not Enter signs.

Comment

The NTSB no doubt wishes to leave it undisturbed until the investigation is complete, in case questions come up requiring a need to re-examine the site.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                The NTSB no doubt wishes to leave it undisturbed until the investigation is complete, in case questions come up requiring a need to re-examine the site.
                And if the investigation takes two years?

Comment

If ever I'm in town, I head on out there. It's quite different without the crowd, but it's hallowed ground regardless of who/what's there. Summer of '01 someone had a Thud parked out at the east end. It's a majestic place.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
                    If ever I'm in town, I head on out there. It's quite different without the crowd, but it's hallowed ground regardless of who/what's there. Summer of '01 someone had a Thud parked out at the east end. It's a majestic place.
                    Couldn't agree more. After 48 years it has become the place to be in September. During Mike Houghton's comments regarding the air races in early January, then he said "if the air race can no longer go on - this will be the last year".

Somehow, I do not think that will be the end of a September aviation event in Reno. There are things happening at the air races that go beyond the actual aspect of racing. Only time will tell, but I expect to hear wonderful noises come from that special place for along time to come.

Comment

Working...
                    X