Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T..How does a wing REALLY create lift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T..How does a wing REALLY create lift?

How does a wing REALLY create lift?

From newscientist.com

How does air flow across a wing to generate lift?

Since a wing's top surface is curved, it covers a greater distance compared to the flatter bottom edge. A common explanation is that air moves faster over the top so that it reaches the end of the wing at the same time as the bottom flow, lowering the pressure on the top surface.

But this pressure explanation is just a myth, explains Holger Babinsky, professor of aerodynamics at the University of Cambridge.

In an attempt to debunk the misconception, he filmed pulses of smoke flowing around an airfoil. He pauses the motion in the video to show that the transit times over the top and bottom are not equal. The lines of smoke from the top have already surpassed the bottom ones once they reach the wing's tip.

Babinsky explains that, although lift is caused by a pressure change between the top and bottom surfaces, it's due to the change in the shape of the air flow, rather than its speed. "This is why a flat surface like a sail is able to cause lift," he says. "In this case, the distance on each side is the same but it is slightly curved when it's rigged, acting like an airfoil."

LINK TO VIDEO: http://bcove.me/lkq6cr00

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 01-24-2012, 02:06 PM.

Re: O/T..How does a wing REALLY create lift?

But an airfoil does not create lift at all...a wing does.
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

And the profile shape of a wing is called....What? .........Class?.........Anyone?........

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
        And the profile shape of a wing is called....What? .........Class?.........Anyone?........

Chord

I usually just push them thingies forward until it get's noisy, then pull back on that big stick thing.

Comment

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Incorrect.

"Chord" is the distance from the leading edge to the trailing edge. On a tapered wing the chord will vary.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
            BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Incorrect.

"Chord" is the distance from the leading edge to the trailing edge. On a tapered wing the chord will vary.

Thats what I was thinking....isnt the shape (cross section) referred to as an airfoil?
            Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner! AIRFOIL is the correct reply.

By the way, one thing I found MOST fascinating in the video was the direction of movement of the air. Concentrate on that one stream of smoke that is impinging upon and contacting the bottom of the airfoil.

On occasion during the footage you can actually see some under-wing smoke move FORWARD opposite the direction of flow and up to go over the top of the wing. That was totally unexpected.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 01-24-2012, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Wing shape is much more than the planform and a airfoil..wings have geometric or/and aerodynamic twist often too.

Airfoils are often studied as 2D but lift is studied in 3D.
                http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

OK, lets get pedantic!

Originally posted by xmh53wrench View Post
                  Thats what I was thinking....isnt the shape (cross section) referred to as an airfoil?
                  "Airfoil" appears to be a bit ambiguous.

For example, Merriam-Webster has a single definition:
                  a body (as an airplane wing or propeller blade) designed to provide a desired reaction force when in motion relative to the surrounding air
                  More technical places define "airfoil" as "...is the shape of a wing or blade (of a propeller, rotor or turbine) or sail as seen in cross-section." (emphasis mine).

Personally I like to disambiguate by using the term from Abbot and von Doenhoff's book title: Theory of Wing Sections.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Comment

As the old saying goes to most pilots"Fly The Airplane".
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                      As the old saying goes to most pilots"Fly The Airplane".
                      I believe it was they "Fly the wing".

I may be wrong but have heard that many times when various acts performed at the races.

Comment

What creates lift? The same thing that makes airplanes fly.............$$$ without it, you'll never get off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                          What creates lift? The same thing that makes airplanes fly.............$$$ without it, you'll never get off the ground.

Comment

these theories do not apply to rotary wing aircraft...
                            Helicoptors are so ugly that the ground rejects them

Comment

Originally posted by morerevsm3 View Post
                              these theories do not apply to rotary wing aircraft...
                              Helicoptors are so ugly that the ground rejects them
                              LMAO!!

Comment

Working...
                              X