Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAS Alameda A4 Jet falls after crane lifting it tips over video.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAS Alameda A4 Jet falls after crane lifting it tips over video.

Some things in life are funny. Here's one of them.

This happened at the Alameda Naval Air Station, near San Francisco, a few months ago. The Jet had fallen off the tower during some high winds due to decay of the mounting hardware. A group of people got together and restored it. As it was being fitted to it's mount, the crane lifting it tips over and damages the plane worse than the original wind storm damages. Now it's been repaired and mounted properly.

Here's the video of the fall.

Brian Shields ALAMEDA (KRON) -- Restorers are going back to work on a 1957 Douglas A4 Skyhawk that was badly damaged when a crane fell on it at the former Alameda Naval Air Station. Severe winds damaged the plane in … Continue reading
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 01-21-2012, 07:51 PM.

Re: NAS Alameda A4 Jet falls after crane lifting it tips over video.

Wow, that's a bummer!!!
    Tony

Comment

I remember when that happened. That created "negative pressure".
      You'd think with the wet ground, they would've put down steel plates to distribute the weight. Oh well..........we live and learn (hopefully)

Comment

Use this link and skip the ads

A4 Falls

Spacegrrrl

Comment

There's 2 parts to the damages. Part 1 when the plane hits the ground. Part 2, which I think does more damage, the crane lands on top of it. And the restoring crew had just spent months or years restoring it. Murphys Law.

Comment

yes, the worst was the crane boom striking the vertical fin.

Here's some pics of said tail after having been removed from the newly-damaged A-4:

A refurbished Douglas A-4, on loan from the Navy was being mounted on a pylon for display at an Alameda public school. There was a crane mishap, and the tail was damaged. Two former Navy men (I didn't ask, but I think they are civic minded volunteers) have mounted a replacement tail on the plane. Picture_13

And here's the Skyhawk again with a replacement tail, still unpainted:

He's refurbishing fast movers for display at local schools. What a nice guy! He saw me taking pictures through the warehouse door, and invited me in. Good thing for me. With that 15mm super wide lens I had to get close close to get any detail of what's going on in there. I took this shot from about 15 feet (5 meters). Picture_17
            Last edited by AirDOGGe; 01-21-2012, 11:03 PM.

Comment

That was quite a noise coming from the crane when things started heading south.

Comment

Just to follow up this post the plane was repaired and put back on it's Pedestal on Dec. 20th, 2011

Comment

Working...
                X