Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT. 8 foot SR71 Blackbird Wind Tunnel Model on ebay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT. 8 foot SR71 Blackbird Wind Tunnel Model on ebay.

Sort of impractical, but very cool model on ebay. You won't find this at your local store.

Photobucket pictures: http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/...ttichero/sr71/

Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 01-20-2012, 08:41 AM.

Re: OT. 8 foot SR71 Blackbird Wind Tunnel Model on ebay.

Nice, but I'm a little bummed from over-anticipation. My fault there.

I was expecting an original all-metal tunnel model from the 50's like the photo below (12th scale tunnel model), not a glass&wood student project made more recently. It looks nice though.

I wonder if the ebay offering is light enough to convert to a turbine-powered RC model? Balsa and fiberglass construction certainly make it a possibility, but not if they built it solid instead of hollow, for maximum strength.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 01-19-2012, 09:34 PM.

Comment

That is a heck of a find!! If you couldn't duct fan the Habu, a radio system with micro servos may be able to be installed. You could hinge the rear between verticals for elevation, synch servos for the verticals to move together, strengthen the interior with light insullation.

Strengthen the nacelles to accomodate some rocket engines and balance it out. It could have the ability to shoot and glide back to the ground so it would land right where you shot it and save the walk...plus the fun of controlling the return.

You could still install a chute system in the center of the fuse for recovery in the event the flight charachteristics aren't so pleasant on the first few shots as long as the control surfaces stay on.

Once I saw it, I saw that potential. Just dreamin.....
      John

Loves airplanes and runs freight trains.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
        I wonder if the ebay offering is light enough to convert to a turbine-powered RC model? Balsa and fiberglass construction certainly make it a possibility, but not if they built it solid instead of hollow, for maximum strength.
        Yellow Aircraft used to kit one about the same size and though they no longer offer it I bet you could find one second hand with a bit of looking. (I've got a hunch there were a lot of these that never got finished!) Probably much simpler than trying to make a flying model from a wind tunnel model.

Comment

I think the SR71 Blackbird Model is more reasonably priced than this Canopy from a McDonnell Douglas A-12 Avenger II also on ebay, priced at a cost of only, hold on tight and don't fall our of your chair, $620,238 shown here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/McDonnell-Do...ht_4024wt_1395

Comment

A few questions about the Wind Tunnel SR71 Blackbird Models. How exact a copy are these, who builds them, and what determines the scale size of the model?

Anyone ever seen one being built, knows someone who builds them or seen them tested in a wind tunnel?

I guess the builder is given a set of SR71 Blueprints to work from, which I would assume is sort of Classified Information, ie don't sell it to Russia, China...?

Comment

The models will be dimensionally accurate, but only in a form needed for the particular test being run. They aren't meant to be accurate display models though. Note on the ebay offering the lack of blown-in doors or proper engine nozzles on the nacelles, nor any corrugated skins on the wing.

And the metal model I posted was used to test different front ends, so the rest of that model lacks detail too.

The size of the model is determined by the size of the facilities and velocities desired. "Faster" usually means smaller models, due to tunnel limitations.

I once worked on a model of the QSRA at Ames Research in 1977 while on a work-experience program in high school,.... mainly skinning, but I did other work on it too like fabbing and installing the permanently-fixed flap struts. The model was all made of steel.

NASA QSRA (Quiet Short-haul Research Aircraft)

It was a big model though, more like half-scale. It's didn't have a horizontal stabilizer but it DID have real jet engines, as they intended to use it to test the lift capability of the blown flaps while sitting on an outdoor test pedestal, the same location where they tested the F-35's years later.

I don't think this one ever went into a tunnel, although it could fit in the 40'x80' tunnel no problem. It may have.

QSRA test model

My work experience program ended just as they were about to start a model for the HiMAT unmanned test aircraft.

For anyone who wants to learn about wind tunnels and their past history, have I got a site for you: http://history.nasa.gov/SP-440/contents.htm
              Last edited by AirDOGGe; 01-20-2012, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                I think the SR71 Blackbird Model is more reasonably priced than this Canopy from a McDonnell Douglas A-12 Avenger II also on ebay, priced at a cost of only, hold on tight and don't fall our of your chair, $620,238 shown here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/McDonnell-Do...ht_4024wt_1395
                We discussed that one back around Xmas: http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=9731

Comment

The auction ended. If I had the $ I'd buy one of those and mount it to my wall.

Will

Comment

How about this one....

Last edited by FuryFan; 01-20-2012, 05:06 PM. Reason: uhhhhhhhhhhh

Comment

Doh!!! Well, it was supposed to be a pic of an SR-71 vertical stab. that someone has for sale.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                        The auction ended. If I had the $ I'd buy one of those and mount it to my wall.

Will

The Blackbird or the canopy? Either would take a good size wall, but the latter might need a 2 car garage.

The auction for the model is over. With no bids listed, does that mean no sale? Or did someone paid cash?
                        Last edited by AirDOGGe; 01-21-2012, 12:03 AM.

Comment

I managed to edit the link so you can look at the auction......

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by FuryFan View Post
                            That's real nice. Only 1 million dollars for a tail section from a Blackbird. And then I'll take that canopy for another $600,000. So it's only a combined cost of 1.6 million dollars. What a deal. Those two dealers should get together and sell snake oil also. Heck, if I spend money like that, I could get a Government Job as a Buyer, and spend the taxpayers money like it's growing on trees.

The seller of the tail piece actually says in his add "Buyer would be responsible for any and all shipping charges." C'mon now. You charge 1 million dollars for a piece of scrap metal and won't even pay for the shipping. I'd at least pay for free crating and shipping on a million dollar sale and throw in a couple of cases of beer for free. What are people thinking?

It looks like there's been 34 offers on the tail piece from July to Jan. Wonder what the offers were? $500, $1,000...?
                            Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 01-20-2012, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                              The auction for the model is over. With no bids listed, does that mean no sale? Or did someone paid cash?
                              It means there were no bids, so it's still available. I bet you could get it for around $1,000. It's a dinosaur. Nobody wants it, except people like us.

Or cut a hole in the top, mount it to a go kart or a small pocket bikes and drive it around town.
                              Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 01-20-2012, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X