Reno National Championship"Drag Races"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno National Championship"Drag Races"

I am somewhat of a nut job, as those who may have read my posts can attest. I have never hesitated to say what I want to say. If this idea has been presented before, my apologies. So here goes….
    Let’s go with worst case scenario, pylon racing as we know it is over.
    Reno becomes the NHRA of aviation racing.
    The plan: straight ahead level flight heat (drag) races. Two aircraft per heat. Eliminations begin on Wednesday and continue to the last man standing on Sunday afternoon.
    The course: begins by coming down the chute the T-6’s use, ends at either start/finish pylon or pylon #1 or move the start/finish pylon to the end of runway 8.
    The start: two racers, line abreast, with Steve Hinton as starter. Down the chute they come, Steve says “Go” and they haul ass to the finish line. One winner and one eliminated. Losing racer drops to a slower class and is eliminated after two losses. These details to be worked out if this idea ever comes to be. They pull up and turn to the north, cool down and land on 8. Note: no aircraft turning to the spectators. All activity is away from the crowd just like in every air show in the country.
    While on the cool down, the next two racers take off and so on and so forth.
    Result: lots of unlimited aircraft noise, lots activity and all of our beloved unlimiteds going real fast in a straight line, right in front of us. Sounds like a fun time to me.
    Ok everyone, let me know how crazy and far fetched this idea is.
    ...going off the rails on a crazy train....

Re: Reno National Championship"Drag Races"

Nope. Not interested. Drag racing is not an acceptable substitute for pylon racing.

Comment

Pete:

With all do respect and I am not arguing with you.
      You are saying if there can't be pylon racing, we just park these airplanes and look at them?
      ...going off the rails on a crazy train....

Comment

He said aerial drags were not a substitute for pylon racing. That was clear enough, and I agree. I see nothing in his reply about not flying, period. You assumed too much from his answer.

Park them? Never! Not unless an airworthy plane became a true last of it's kind would I even consider grounding it.
        Last edited by AirDOGGe; 01-19-2012, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Could be interesting. Radials would win. I wouldn't pay money to see it.

Comment

Let's say the racing is cancelled for liability issues.

How about the planes just making fast and slow passes flying East to West, then West to East multiple times. Back to back flying. Say noon to 4pm. Walk around the pits in the morning, lunch, then the action begins. Kind of boring, but lots of flying.

Personally, I don't like seeing blow things up if it means it won't fly for a while. Especially expensive motors, unless of course they are replaceable.

Comment

To me this format has potential. It allows the fans to see the planes at max. speed with all the noise and probably very close safe racing.

I would even say that it would be an interesting concept to try as an extra race format at the normal air races.

Would the planes be at max speed at the start of the timed section ?

What distance should be used ?

The choice of the chute would effect G loads , safety and ease of starting fairly.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                Let's say the racing is cancelled for liability issues.

How about the planes just making fast and slow passes flying East to West, then West to East multiple times. Back to back flying. Say noon to 4pm. Walk around the pits in the morning, lunch, then the action begins. Kind of boring, but lots of flying.

Personally, I don't like seeing blow things up if it means it won't fly for a while. Especially expensive motors, unless of course they are replaceable.
                I think that was the plan...If no race, then hold an air show.

Planes could still make fast fly-by's, but say goodbye to super-fast race-only aircraft like Strega, and head-to-head racing action for Warbirds.

Unfortunately, that fly-by stuff won't draw the needed attendance. I can get that from local airshows. It's the racing and what comes with it that makes me want to drive clear across California to see some planes fly.

Comment

I think the drag racing idea would be entertaining for a while, but most fans go there to see racing that is the current format. If my memory serves me correctly, they did a drag racing at Mojave in 1975 which I thought was fun to watch, but isn't a good substitue for the traditional race.

Comment

How about a few slow passes to get the engine warmed up, then some climb to altitude races. From the airport to 10,000-15,000-20,000 feet? And you would get money for the faster you climb, speed and whatever variables would make it interesting/competitive. Some competition without the oval racing.
                    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 01-20-2012, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Perhaps allowing people to sit in the cockpit for a photo with a fee? So the people flying their planes are compensated with some money for their expenses.

Comment

Just my humble opinion (which we've established isn't worth much), but I think the only alternative to a closed-course, low-altitutude race that I would come see would be if they established an open-invitation 3km trial with a cash-incentive.

Strega, Voodoo, Furias, Rare Bear, a couple other 'racers' all taking their best shot for a million dollar purse, or something like that. Lyle's 528 is just hanging there for the taking...and the only person that has held the record longer is Fritz Wendell.

Not a 'we're doing this in secret', or 'we want to do it by ourselves to get publicity for our sponsors' thing...but just like in boat racing where once a true measured, timed course is set up with UIM judges, it's open to anyone who shows up.

Think of it as a Bonneville Speed Weeks, but in the air.

I just don't think you could do it at Stead because of the required layout and altitude restrictions for setting the record.

Comment

I might go see something like what Big Jim describes once, but "drag racing?" I'd rather go to Chino and watch a bunch of warbirds making photo passes over and over. As I recall, Mike Brown tended to hustle around at a pretty good clip.

The prospect of straight line "racing" is no more draw than any airshow with some warbirds doing flybys. Anyone who thinks there is a substitute for pylon racing doesn't understand what pylon racing is. Period.
                          No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                          http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Not the same as a pylon race for sure but I tell ya, if the planes were restricted to a max altitude of say..... 50 ft and........ I'm allowed to be directly underneath the flight path (I'll sign any waver you want) it could be exciting. But as someone said earlier, "One pass is never enough"
                            "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Disagree with critics...

If this is what we wind up "left" with.. Then I'll support it completely!

Look back a few "issues" (search archives) and you'll find that I'm completely supportive of "demo racing"....

If that's all we can move ahead with over the next 20 or so years... (I'll be dead somewhere thereafter) then.. let's go with it! (over nothing!)
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X