NEW AIR RACING CLASS ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW AIR RACING CLASS ?

There was talk about a air racing class with very economical goal. Not yet defined.

Here are 2 Chilton DW1:s at Old Warden..with 30 hp engines.

An enjoyable, if chilly, evening display at Old Warden featured two nicely flown Chilton Monoplanes.

Speed was not the only parameter discussed.

Planes could be sold after each race.

Discussion took place at the HBA site.
    Last edited by First time Juke; 01-13-2012, 02:42 PM.
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Re: NEW AIR RACING CLASS ?

Originally posted by Juke View Post
    There was talk about a air racing class with very economical goal. Not yet defined.

Here are 2 Chilton DW1:s at Old Warden..with 30 hp engines.

An enjoyable, if chilly, evening display at Old Warden featured two nicely flown Chilton Monoplanes.

S.

Heh-heh. In a 25 mph headwind we might be able to see them in front of the home pylon for a long time, nearly hovering like helicopters as they struggle under full-throttle to keep from being blown backwards by Mother Nature. It could make for longer races!

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 01-13-2012, 08:35 PM.

Comment

You are quite right Airdogge..I estimate mine to go like 125 mph at 15 hp. Weighs 65 kilos and looks like a Spitfire with Moni motorglider fuselage elements ( to put is shortly ). With a one gallon tank it will cruise 1hr45 min. Plane can be stored on a 9 feet shelve in pieces.

They don't necessarily have to race the course but the mountains and desert around and viewed simultaneously on a screen when the racers go 500 mph on the pylon track ?

Cheers !

Juke

Comment

the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden is not to be missed if you are in England. They have airshows a few times in the summer where they bring out one of a kind museum pieces and fly them.

thanks for the video

pete

Comment

This is the way this new class should be powered :-

Lets have the Steam Punk class. Get some style back into air racing.
          Last edited by Reno_Steve; 01-15-2012, 12:11 AM.

Comment

In all seriousness, an electric class is possible, technology-wise. You'd only need to carry enough battery capacity to last a 6-lap race plus a bit more, not a huge and heavy load as required for cross-country flight.

The airframes might be similar to the F1 class, but with a couple of feet more wingspan to deal with battery weight. Or sport-class size might be a better choice.

The energy source is probably the biggest expense, with the lightest Lithium batteries also being the costliest. Brushless motors using rare earth magnets are quite powerful and efficient for their size these days.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
              In all seriousness, an electric class is possible, technology-wise. You'd only need to carry enough battery capacity to last a 6-lap race plus a bit more, not a huge and heavy load as required for cross-country flight.

The airframes might be similar to the F1 class, but with a couple of feet more wingspan to deal with battery weight. Or sport-class size might be a better choice.

The energy source is probably the biggest expense, with the lightest Lithium batteries also being the costliest. Brushless motors using rare earth magnets are quite powerful and efficient for their size these days.
              I think the solarcells will do the job...weigh 2 lbs for a hp and need 11 sq ft..so a 70 sq ft has 6 hp..which is enough to fly...Stits Skeeto1 used only 3 hp for level flight in 1967.
              Attached Files

Comment

Enough to fly, yes. Fast enough to make for an exciting head-to-head race? I don't think so.

You'd need to use batteries to get enough current to drive a powerful enough electric motor(s).

I'm looking for 250-300 mph race velocities minimum (400-480 kph). No solar panel system can deliver enough juice for that requirement and still be small enough and light enough to install on the airframe.

Comment

The class is not about absolute speed but economy as well..there has to be factor for speed too othervise the planes go 11 mph like the HPAs.

Burt Rutan might say..been there done that.

The Museum of Flight holds one of the largest air and space collections in the US and aims to become the foremost educational air and space museum in the world!

Comment

I'm not sure I could even be bothered to cross a sidewalk to watch an electric airplane race.
                    No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                    http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini View Post
                      I'm not sure I could even be bothered to cross a sidewalk to watch an electric airplane race.
                      They could always carry an onboard p.a. system with a Merlin soundtrack.....
                      Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Who wants to watch a solar-econo race? You could time the laps with a calendar!

Originally posted by xmh53wrench View Post
                        They could always carry an onboard p.a. system with a Merlin soundtrack.....
                        Or the RARA could play old SKYFIRE race soundtracks over the PA system during the race.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 01-17-2012, 12:13 AM.

Comment

An electric class could end up faster than the ic aircraft, and I would definately cross the sidewalk to watch Rare Bear being lapped by a quiet electric plane being followed by a closing steam chugger.

A bit of variety in the races will always add interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Reno_Steve View Post
                            An electric class could end up faster than the ic aircraft, and I would definately cross the sidewalk to watch Rare Bear being lapped by a quiet electric plane being followed by a closing steam chugger.

A bit of variety in the races will always add interest.
                            Right we have no way of knowing how fast a purpose built electric racer can go...models go 200 km/h +. Solarpowered will be slow..since the wing area is too small or the cells inefficient..but only enough for flight at 60 mph.

E-PROPS: carbon propellers for aircraft, ultralights, paramotors, ppg, drones, VTOL. Ultra-light, very strong, CARBON TITANIUM, high performances. Made in France since 2008.
                            Last edited by First time Juke; 01-20-2012, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X