• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better link to NTSB Hearing

You may want to use the "Alternate Link" to watch

Jeff Lee
    LiveAirShowTV

Re: Better link to NTSB Hearing

Micheal Major and Mike Houghton speaking now.

Comment

Thoughts? Missed the first portion, but didn't hear anything I didn't already know in the last hour and 15 minutes.

Comment

So far, everyone has done a great job. Great explanations on how ICAS regulates performers and venues.

The one area the board is struggling with is accreditation of Air Bosses. George Cline addressed it very well at the end. They seem scared that "anyone" could walk up and say I want to be an air boss" In reality, the show is NOT going to hire someone who does that. It's in the show's self interest to hire qualified people.

As for racing, they seem a little bothered by the fact that the Home Pylon at Reno is the same for all classes. They compared it to the size of the aerobatic box for different types of aerobatic performances. Could we see a change there? Hard to say.

Still, overwhelmingly good information being presented here this morning.

Jeff Lee
        LiveAirShowTV

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lee View Post
          As for racing, they seem a little bothered by the fact that the Home Pylon at Reno is the same for all classes. They compared it to the size of the aerobatic box for different types of aerobatic performances. Could we see a change there? Hard to say.
          I dont know why the Chairwoman was struggling so hard with that. It seems that by simply looking at a diagram showing the courses would explain perfectly that the race course expands out and away from the crowd per class.

In my opinion any direction from the FAA to move the course from where it is now will be more unsafe and kill the races. Asking pilots to fly a course that differs significantly from what they are used to is asking for trouble, and no one wants to come and watch planes race from 1000 feet away.

Not to mention that fact that Stead Field cant really expand in size...
          Last edited by flyingjibus; 01-10-2012, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
            In my opinion any direction from the FAA to move the course from where it is now will be more unsafe and kill the races. Asking pilots to fly a course the differs significantly from what they are used to is asking for trouble, and no one wants to come and watch planes race from 1000 feet away.

Not to mention that fact that Stead Field cant really expand in size...
            Well said...

Unfortunately, there isn't very many options left, when considering a adjust the course. Larger, with some softening on a few turns would be best, but we all know this can't be done at Stead.

Joseph

Comment

Needs some thinking out side the box. How about thinking inside the box? What about putting the spectators inside the course? being center of the radius the the aircraft going around you. There would be problems of transporting people to center, IE busses or use of a tunnel. Just thinking.....

Comment

Originally posted by AiRick View Post
                Needs some thinking out side the box. How about thinking inside the box? What about putting the spectators inside the course? being center of the radius the the aircraft going around you. There would be problems of transporting people to center, IE busses or use of a tunnel. Just thinking.....
                The problem I see with fans inside the course would be maydays, 9 times out of 10 during a mayday pilots turn the plane inside the course to get to a runway as quick as possible, that would put an aircraft having some kind of problem right over the crowd.
                W.Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by RRMERLIN7 View Post
                  The problem I see with fans inside the course would be maydays, 9 times out of 10 during a mayday pilots turn the plane inside the course to get to a runway as quick as possible, that would put an aircraft having some kind of problem right over the crowd.
                  Safety issues aside, it would be a logistical nightmare. Without some sort of tunnel, fans would be required to be in the infield at a certain time and have to stay there untill the day was over. Basically all air traffic would have to be put on hold to move people in and out. All the facilities would have to moved to the infield.

Comment

Would they have "swivelling" bleachers so spactators could follow the planes around the course?

I agree it would be a serious safety concern As is pilots have a lot of open area to maneuver over and even land in, as some have, inside the course. Taking that away leaves the pilots with fewer choices in the event of an emergency. Even normal maneuvering for a landing would either be over houses or spectators.

Comment

I have had thoughts as well as to what it would be like if there was a way to see the event from inside the course. It would be neat to see the tops of the planes from the inside instead of the bellies. But, there have been many belly slides into the bushes inside the course. Since the east and west is covered by houses, the north and northeast is rugged hill covered and the south is populated as well as the crowd, cars, displays etc, the center needs to stay open. This also allows the CFR an immediate access to whatever happens.

Sitting inside the course would also be a literal pain in the neck keeping track of what is going on around the course unless you can fit a barber’s chair into your pocket.

Looking at some of the posts talking about moving the pylons makes more since. I know drastic changes would create some problems as the pilots have this course etched in their minds and in their muscle memory as well. I think PRS could iron out some of the wrinkles if the time was extended a little bit (budget allowing for the teams). It would also allow user (pilot) interface with the officials to see what works the best for the competition and more importantly…SAFETY for all. All too often, I have been on the receiving end of changes without the democratic input that needs to be there and some of the results have been less than spectacular.

Not saying that they don’t already have the input, but the pilots who are engaged in this competition should be the ones that hold the largest amount of input as they are the ones in the hot seat when they strap on their steeds. If the course could be lengthened to smoothen some of the turns, this can save airframes and at the same time give the crews an interesting challenge in increasing the endurance of the engines. I know there are property boundaries that need to be adhered to but it would definitely make for some interesting racing.

I guess time will tell.
                      John

Loves airplanes and runs freight trains.

Comment

Just so you know, the bleachers are about 1800 feet away from home pylon. The edge of the pavement is 1200 feet away. This is considered the Cat One show line (1200-1500 ft) for any air show having aircraft exceed 250 MPH.

Comment

Just an aside. Your government has made watching these hearings easy even for those of us with sub standard high speed internet. I listen to them while surfing or doing email. I can start and stop them or go anywhere at any time. I an even click on individual witnesses. MH is on at one hour and 50 min and the EAA is on at 2 hours. Doesnt look like they throw us under the buss at least so far.

Comment

Working...
                          X