Are the stands moving??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the stands moving??

Has anyone heard any info on whether there is actually going to be a move of the stands to bring it out of the line of the turn coming to the home pylon?

This is what caught my eye in the article:

"That's why the race board may consider moving the location of the stands away from the high speed turn zone."

http://www.kivitv.com/news/local/136790848.html
    John

Loves airplanes and runs freight trains.

Re: Are the stands moving??

Moving the stands is not going to fix anything. (assuming you think there is something that needs fixing)

I can see box seats going away, but moving the stands is not going to happen

Comment

If they try to eliminate the boxes- war will result
      We ( other than possibly the Section 3 group) are the most dedicated fans

Ken
      Box A-47
      (concussion/broken ribs/bruised liver)

PS who started this ?

Comment

If moving the stands isn't going to fix anything (which I agree it won't), then moving or eliminating the box seats isn't going to help either. That would just result in a BUNCH of angry box seat patrons.

Dave
        Box A-35

Comment

Some knucklehead at the KIVI making a bogus statement about which he knows nothing. Same folks who call the FAA the "f-a-a" in the article. Nice.

You could make it safe by placing the stands in Truckee I suppose...but the fan experience might be lacking just a little.
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

There is absolutely NO way that any move will fix anything. Just seeing someone make that suggestion is crazy. We all know if something happens, it will.

There is no way to move anything out of any path with the speeds these fine folks are achieving coming around that turn. Every aircraft has their nose pointed at either are large crowd or the pits when they are turning that pylon.

I seriously doubt that anything will happen. I guess we expect to see more half-witted commentary from people as the months and weeks get closer to September.

If they do impose changes, does anyone think it will come to fruition at PRS?
            John

Loves airplanes and runs freight trains.

Comment

I would like to think if a "change" is going to be implemented, it would be in place by PRS, and fine tuned very shortly there after.

Personally, I dont see moving the stands an option. Really they can only be moved another 200 feet south, and that isnt going to do squat except push the vendors out, Witch RARA/fans need.

Wolfee

Comment

Planes on their own can go anywhere. That's the situation with a high speed 3-dimensional sport. Only seats in the middle of the course might improve spectator safety, assuming that simply physics would carry any stricken or uncontrolled race plane away from show center in most cases. Due to limitations and logistic issues that won't be happening any time soon (if ever).

I suggest they try flattening the last turn to give it a larger radius, and by doing so subject the planes/pilots to less G-forces on that portion of the track. The home straight might become "The Home Turn" instead, but that's OK if it means more safety for fans.

Less "gees" equals less stress...Less stress means a lower chance of an airframe part breaking or operator becoming incapacitated while trans-versing that most critical portion of the course.

Are the stands moving? Move where? Throw a dart at a printout of the aerial photo shown below (not at your monitor screen, please! ), and where-ever it lands is where a stray race plane could potentially crash.

The only spectator-move that would truly protect fans 100% would be to move the grandstands to Scolari's parking lot and watch the races on big-screen TVs sitting on U-haul trailers (Hey! They got High Definition these days...!). No thanks.

My worries?
                -----------------
                I been wondering if they will stop spectators from watching unlimited races from the two areas where one can LEGALLY get closer than 400 feet from the track..namely the far edge of the pits and the similar locations in front of the classic/military aircraft display area on the other end of the tarmac.

Thoughts?

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 01-09-2012, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I was just out at Stead this afternoon and didn't see any signs of the stands moving.

Comment

if they were to flatten out the final turn off the VOS, wouldnt it mean moving the pylons at the top of the VOS to flatten the turn onto the straight away and making the turn in to the home flatter.. though that would ad a little milage to the course.....
                    Just my 2 penny's
                    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                      if they were to flatten out the final turn off the VOS, wouldnt it mean moving the pylons at the top of the VOS to flatten the turn onto the straight away and making the turn in to the home flatter.. though that would ad a little milage to the course.....
                      Just my 2 penny's

My suggestion would shift pylons 7, 8 and 9 to blunt the sharp jog of turn 8. Looks like the track would shorten slightly.

Pylon 1 would be adjusted a bit inward too to make more of a smoother and consistent curve, something that's more desirable to (and safer for) pilots and viewers alike as airframes get faster and G forces rise.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 01-10-2012, 02:08 AM.

Comment

AirDogge, Thanks for the aerial overview, however the crowd line for the pit area is shown too far out. The actual line can be seen running through the "RACE/AIRSHOW" then doglegging down to the grandstand area. Don't mean to be nit-picking, but not everyone who views your post or the diagram is as aware of RARA's safety guidelines as those of us lucky to observe them first hand.

Thank you also for the diagram of an alternate race course. Could not help but notice that the "relocation" of Pylon 1 appears to more than double turn angle setting up for Pylon 2. Would this sharper banking cause problems for those race classes who's planes are often tightly bunched at the start, not mention the increased Gs at race speed?

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by AERRACE View Post
                          AirDogge, Thanks for the aerial overview, however the crowd line for the pit area is shown too far out. The actual line can be seen running through the "RACE/AIRSHOW" then doglegging down to the grandstand area.

You are correct. I included the parking area for show-related GA aircraft and airshow performers. Thx for spotting that. I think I got my message about restricted viewing across though, and that was my true goal.

Originally posted by AERRACE View Post
                          Thank you also for the diagram of an alternate race course. Could not help but notice that the "relocation" of Pylon 1 appears to more than double turn angle setting up for Pylon 2. Would this sharper banking cause problems for those race classes who's planes are often tightly bunched at the start, not mention the increased Gs at race speed?
                          Frank

Turn One seems much sharper than #2, so that was my main concern. Other relocation tweaks could be made after further study of flight paths.

But I was only considering the fastest unlimited class, and jets too I suppose, since the largest and fastest racers would be considered the most dangerous to spectators by the media and the layman, and probably are. If moving Pylon 1 affects other, slower courses then I'm sure adjustments could be made to deal with that too.
                          Last edited by AirDOGGe; 01-10-2012, 12:55 PM.

Comment

'dogge

Personally, I think your course mods make a lot of sense. Flattening the entrance/exit from the #8 pylon looks like a good idea. JMO.

Comment

Softer (increased radius turns and approaches to turns) will result in increased speed as not as much speed will be scrubbed off in the turns. Is this really safer? Also, the increased radius increases the time/distance that the aircraft are pointed at the occupied areas (spectator/pits, etc.). Does this improve safety?

And remember, the aircraft are flying somewhere outside the pylons and will seek the fastest line.
                              Last edited by Skyracer; 01-10-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X