off topic: Flames from Connie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• off topic: Flames from Connie?

Can someone explain the two or three sourses and colors of flames comming out of this Connie's engines on takeoff? One might guess that the exhaust collectors would put out the same color?
    QANTAS Lockheed L-1049G Super Constellation Takeoff with flames Avalon Airshow 2011 - Day 1

QANTAS Lockheed L-1049G Super Constellation Takeoff with flames Avalon Airshow 2011 - Day 1

Re: off topic: Flames from Connie?

The Connie used Wright 3350 Turbo Compound engines. What you see are the flames coming out of the three power recovery turbines (PRT). Each turbine is fed by the exhaust from six cylinders. The PRT is geared to the engine crankshaft so that power is recovered from the exhaust and given back to the engine.
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

My dad used to fly Connie's out of McClellan AFB. My family would go outside when he came back from a mission (When he wasn't in Vietnam). We would watch for the flames coming from the engines and know that was him on final for landing! I had to have been 5 or 6 and I can still remember it to this day.

Race 29
      Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29 View Post
        My dad used to fly Connie's out of McClellan AFB. My family would go outside when he came back from a mission (When he wasn't in Vietnam). We would watch for the flames coming from the engines and know that was him on final for landing! I had to have been 5 or 6 and I can still remember it to this day.

Race 29

Nice, mental image!! Exhaust flames from most anything are the best
        Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Thanks guys! Very interesting.....

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29 View Post

Race 29
            I remember seeing the EC-121's coming and going from McClellan AFB when I was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by xmh53wrench View Post
              Nice, mental image!! Exhaust flames from most anything are the best

If I saw some coming out of a Toyota Prius hybrid, then I'd worry....

Comment

That is just too sexy right there, thaks for sharing that. I took a hop in the MATS Connie years ago, an extra special treat, very cool.

Comment

The Connie has always been one of my favorite airplanes. the lines are just beautiful.
                  Bill Garnett
                  InterstellarDust
                  Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

That is SO cool! Takes me back to when I was a kid and when MATS Connies would be on approach to Moffet and you could see the blue flames at dusk/night. Lockheed sure built some beautiful aircraft.

Comment

I have to agree that the Connie is a very beautiful airplane, where as the DC-4 is kinda like the box the Connie came in. But while I can tell you exactly why I think a particular woman is beautiful, I can not express why the connie is so appealing....it is just an "it" plane. I has that factor written all over it.

Comment

Lockheed designs is particular had a look all their own - Connies and Lightnings just 'look' like Lockheeds.

Comment

^well, I think you may have hit the nail on the head. The SR-71 may be the neatest looking a/c of all time.

Comment

Here's another....no flames though

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsY4G-NS0Hc&feature=related[/YT]
                            Rob
                            Merlins are cool
                            But Radials rule!
                            And jets just make noise

Comment

Working...
                            X