Off Topic: AT 6 contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Topic: AT 6 contract

If anyone hears that the USAF releases info on why the Beechcraft AT-6 was turned down for the new light attack aircraft, I would like to know.

Re: Off Topic: AT 6 contract

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    If anyone hears that the USAF releases info on why the Beechcraft AT-6 was turned down for the new light attack aircraft, I would like to know.
    http://tinyurl.com/7es7da9
    They gave the contract to the Super Tucano instead.

Comment

Because the present administration dosen't want to buy American. This is just a start like reducing the militarty,giving Latin America 2 billion to explore for oil and on and on. My 2 cents.
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
        Because the present administration dosen't want to buy American. This is just a start like reducing the militarty,giving Latin America 2 billion to explore for oil and on and on. My 2 cents.
        EXACTLY!!!

Google the Wichita post, there's an article about what they are doing to Beechcraft. By Coincidence George Soros is invested in Embraer

Comment

What, you do not like the "Transparency" of the existing administration?

The American voters ask for "Change" and they are getting it right up the behind.

Comment

OR...it could be that the Super Tucano is a better suited aircraft for what they were looking for.

Just because it's "Made in America" doesn't mean that it's the right airplane for the given job. And I'd be willing to bet that the pilots flying them on whatever mission they will be used for don't give a rat's behind where it was made if it is a better airplane for the mission.

I'm sure there is much more to the story, and lots of politics involved....but it's just an old Navy pilot's worthless .02 cents worth.

Comment

Remember when the Klinton administration handed the primary trainer contract to the Slingby Firefly instead on Cessna, Beech or Piper, a number of cadets were killed in training accidents.

I hope we don't lose any airman due to this

Comment

Originally posted by Airpirate View Post
                EXACTLY!!!

Google the Wichita post, there's an article about what they are doing to Beechcraft. By Coincidence George Soros is invested in Embraer
                What a strange coincidence? HUM!

Comment

The T-3A was never used as a Primary Trainer by the USAF. It was only used for 'introductory flights' to Air Force Academy/ROTC cadets. The three fatal incidents were primarily due to improper spin recovery and ensuing engine failure (improper recovery being pilot error, mind you). Around the rest of the world, it has had an outstanding training record.

Beech DID get the Primary Trainer contract with the AT-6 Texan II to replace the Cessna T-37.

You guys seem to be harping on the Super Tucano 1) because it's not American, and 2) because you think the AT-6 II would be a better platform.

The whole contract from the Air Force is for an close-in, counter-insurgency-light attack aircraft to use in Afghanistan. The Super Tucano was designed (and is currently used around the world) for just this mission. The AT-6 II was designed by Pilatus and built by Beechcraft as a trainer. The AT-6B is a new variant that Beechcraft is trying to enter the low-cost interdiction 'market' with...but it has no history doing that.

So is it really worth taking a shot at the Democrats (which you guys seem to be doing...and politically, I have no dog in this fight, because I don't care) when to me it makes sense to have a 'flight ready' aircraft that is most likely BETTER suited for the COIN job, than to take an unproven one just because it's made in America?

Again...if it's my a$$ in the seat in combat, I don't care where it's made so long as it's the BEST weapon I can employ to do my job.

I guess that makes .04 cents of worthlessness now.

Comment

Big Jim,

thanks for the clarification, yes the T-3 was the introductory aircraft and Beech DID get the Primary contract with the Texan. I agree if I were flying I want to the BEST airplane designed for the mission. I guess the frustration is the state of the economy you would think that one would want to spend money in the USA and employ USA workers. Besides Beech and Pilatus make fine aircraft.

I'm done now

Comment

The T-6A actually has very little in common with the PC-9 other than basic shape.

The AT-6B is designed for COIN when compared to the original T-6A in exactly the same way the Super Tucano is designed for COIN whn compared to the original Tucano trainer. Bigger engine, strengthened airframe, hard points, self-sealing tanks, engine and cockpit armor, etc., same mods for both planes to fulfill a more strenuous mission.

The exclusion of the AT-6B from the LAAR competition is pure political payback. HBC CEO Bill Boisture has been the single most vocal and effective critic of the current administration's never ending assault on aviation.

The AT-6B would benefit from HBC's global service footprint, and an install base of nearly 800 T-6A's in use by nearly 50 military operators around the world. The Super Tucano is a fine plane, but the AT-6B was and is the superior platform, technically as well as in terms of economic benefit to the US, especially given the fact of systems similarity with other US platforms - but that is meaningless when taken in consideration of the 'Chicago Way'.
                      Last edited by JLKnolla; 01-06-2012, 07:01 PM.

Comment

No dog in this fight either but in the interest of level-setting, a quick note.

Doing some fairly high-level research, it seems that perhaps George Soros is not an investor in Embraer. The confusion may be as a result of his investment in a Chinese airline that was involved in the purchase of Embraer aircraft.

Worth further investigation and as someone who has had a hand in the establishment and management of holding companies for a very high profile investor here in Seattle, I can tell you it can be very difficult to drill into these relationships and pierce the "corporate veil."

That said, no friend of Geroge Soros, nor this administration, am I. Their ilk should scare the $#it out of anyone who believes in a constitutional republic founded on democratic principles.

To others points, perhaps the succesful bidder just simply built a better mousetrap.
                        Last edited by Air Boss; 01-07-2012, 09:13 AM.
                        Owen Ashurst
                        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

As a tax payer, the thought of these airplanes being built in a foreign country really pisses me off. In my most humble opinion, there are dam few airplane built outside of this country that are superior to what is produce here. Boeing proves it daily. If I were military pilot I would feel much better knowing I was riding in an American built aircraft.

Dennis....will race if we run 2012...In fact, I'll obtain a new racer just for 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by shorebird View Post
                            As a tax payer, the thought of these airplanes being built in a foreign country really pisses me off. In my most humble opinion, there are dam few airplane built outside of this country that are superior to what is produce here. Boeing proves it daily. If I were military pilot I would feel much better knowing I was riding in an American built aircraft.

Dennis....will race if we run 2012...In fact, I'll obtain a new racer just for 2012.
                            Interestingly enough...I am a taxpayer too. But I also have the retrospect of having been a military pilot. And once again, as far as I'm concerned, if/when I'm in combat, it boils down to what is the best platform to do the job, regardless of where it was built.

Comment

Big Jim.

With all due respect and gratitude for your military service, your position assumes that the process is not corrupt. I on the other hand, am absolutely certain that it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X