X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AvWeb poll

So far, the AvWeb poll voters say this:
    25 percent say the races should go on unchanged
    67 percent say the races might need a tweek but can go on with the essaance of the races being unchanged....

Re: AvWeb poll

I voted. Don't change a thing is up to 28%

Jarrod

Comment

I voted the same as Jarrod !
      Now, let's get back to Air Racing !
      Rare Bear 2012 !

Comment

I've voted as well, don't change a thing.

Will

Comment

Voted for lessons learned but remain essentially the same. Seems to me to deny the opportunity to learn from accidents, errors, or omissions is to deny that we are a fallible creature who is doomed to doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

We all know what that defines...
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Air Judge, I agree that if there was a lesson to be learned then that would be the right answer, but I just don't see what that lesson would be in this case. Unless one had a crystal ball I don't see where this accident could have been forseen or prevented. These planes are moving at, or near 500mph and something can go wrong at any time. Even if the crowd were moved WAY back, at those speeds any distance can be covered in a very short period of time. I don't think we would be seeing much of the race from the next county. The lesson here is that in Air Racing, as in ANY sport, there is an element of risk. I've been an Air Race fan for many years and think RARA does an EXCELLENT job, I wouldn't change a thing.

Comment

I pretty much agree with mcav cause an out of control airplane can go anywhere in a very short time, just like an out of control car on a highway, and what can you do about that?. But it will be interesting to see what the NTSB says in any case. I am gonna keep an open mind here. I sent my e-mail to their request for comment e-mail address. Deadline is Feb 17th IIRC.

Comment

I vote not to change a thing, I feel with the long history of safety in this event and the expertise and professionalism of the people who founded it and have tweaked it over the years have made it as safe as possible for pilots and spectators.

It will be interesting to me if the review panel will feel the need to change something even if it is a slight adjustment to appease the people that feel this event is not safe.

GO BEAR !!!!!!! 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
                  Voted for lessons learned but remain essentially the same. Seems to me to deny the opportunity to learn from accidents, errors, or omissions is to deny that we are a fallible creature who is doomed to doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

Let me be clear, I have no problem with learning from mistakes. I think everyone will on their own. The difference is that I think the question in the poll was directed at doing something that won't affect safety at all, but instead give the "appearance" of doing something .
                  Just my thought
                  Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post
                    Let me be clear, I have no problem with learning from mistakes. I think everyone will on their own. The difference is that I think the question in the poll was directed at doing something that won't affect safety at all, but instead give the "appearance" of doing something .
                    Just my thought
                    Jarrod
                    I could not agree more>>>

Comment

Could be absolutely correct Jarrod. We'll all know how that works when it comes to gov't "oversight." That said, give some thought to perhaps "keeping it essentially the same" means no decernable effect on the experience but behind the scenes those changes make subtle differences and keep the Fed's happy. I'll trade that degree of changes if it means we keep racing as before. As opposed to some modifications that clearly alter the heritage of the sport.

Here's to 2012 my friends!
                      Last edited by Air Boss; 01-08-2012, 07:20 AM.
                      Owen Ashurst
                      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Not real deep into my Forte', but the only practical thing I can imagine, with the limited information we actually have compared to the rumors and such, is that there might be an opportunity to consider another level of "Tech Inspection".

The toughest question to answer is what happens to the any structure or assembly when physical modifications are done, and who is qualified to say that safety is not significantly compromised. There seems to be a lot of things that can be done in the name of "Experimental". But there may prove to be a need for a group of people deemed "qualified" to approve the application of these modifications in the format we're involved in here.

Again, as said earlier, there is nearly always a lesson to learn from any incident. And with any lesson, there should be something considered to prevent the negative outcome, if at all possible.

Booked at the GSR, and just about to start counting days.
                        Leg and ankle about 90% back to normal. Last 10% will take a bit more time.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Jones View Post
                          Not real deep into my Forte', but the only practical thing I can imagine, with the limited information we actually have compared to the rumors and such, is that there might be an opportunity to consider another level of "Tech Inspection".

The toughest question to answer is what happens to the any structure or assembly when physical modifications are done, and who is qualified to say that safety is not significantly compromised. There seems to be a lot of things that can be done in the name of "Experimental". But there may prove to be a need for a group of people deemed "qualified" to approve the application of these modifications in the format we're involved in here.

Again, as said earlier, there is nearly always a lesson to learn from any incident. And with any lesson, there should be something considered to prevent the negative outcome, if at all possible.

Booked at the GSR, and just about to start counting days.
                          Leg and ankle about 90% back to normal. Last 10% will take a bit more time.
                          Hi Tim, glad to hear you are doing better!

I agree with you on, perhaps, a different level of "tech inspection"... I say that with a bit of a proviso, however..

I'm never game to fix something that isn't broken, I've heard "rumors" some of which came from one of our racer visitors on how the airplane was not rigged correctly, or...that it was out of cg range.. various other scenarios, not really worth mentioning..

Now.... IF and again I say IF IF IF!!! There was *anything* concerning the airplane which was worthy of being remarkable AFTER the fact, then... and only then would I say that taking a look, and probably a hard look, at how the "TI" is accomplished...

I still don't think we know enough about exactly what happened to make any decisions on anything. I don't think there is anything anyone can do to make anything we do in life absolutely "safe"... sit on your fanny on your couch... safe??? Do it long enough and you'll find that it's not safe at all! You need to get out, get sunshine and move around... oh shoot... then I'd have to cross the street... and we all know, that's not really something we can call "safe"...

Anyway, nuff from me, SUPER glad to hear you're healing so well!!

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

A politician?

I assume there will have to be SOME reaction for public opinions sake. The three themes that reoccur in the editorials are pilot age and ability, racers "flying over the crowd" and the evil "experimental" aircraft that are not subject to oversight by the FAA. Uninformed public, I know, but those issues of perception will probably need addressing either through changes and/or education of the public at some point.
                            I've sat on the ramp or in the boxes for over 25 years, was quite close to this, and realize it could have just as easily happened out in the desert as in the stands. I hope to be in my usual spot in 2012.
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I don't normally post - especially on this subject. However, regarding the tech inspections, I can say with great confidence that I would put my safety into the hands of the Unlimited Tech inspectors any day. One of them has been very helpful in providing advise and guidance on my own airplane, so I truly am putting my safety into his hands. If something wasn't caught during the inspections, it either wasn't an issue or wasn't something that could be discovered without significant disassembly of the plane. Granted, that's my opinion, but it's based on the knowledge of the qualifications of people that are part of the tech inspection team.
                              Now I'll quietly slip back under the rock I crawled out from under

Comment

Working...
                              X