Once in a lifetime find!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once in a lifetime find!

Psssssst...Meester....Hey meester,.....yes, you....come over here......

Wanna buy a canopy from a military stealth jet that was never built?"

This guy wanted to...and did! Hope you enjoy the read.

How an A-12 Avenger II canopy landed on eBay
    ARTICLE LINK (with photo): http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/th...ii-canopy.html

Seth Kettleman makes a living buying and selling surplus aircraft machinery on the web. In late November, a strange item popped up on GovDeals.com: an A-12 Avenger II fighter canopy. Kettleman had never heard of the A-12, but he was intrigued so he started Googling. He read that the highly classified A-12 had been canceled in 1991. He also read that the A-12 was canceled before McDonnell Douglas and General Dynamics assembled the first aircraft.

Kettleman decided it was worth a gamble, and won an online auction with a $2,300 bid.

After examining the merchandise, Kettleman decided it was the real thing. To his mind, Kettleman now owned the only known artifact of the A-12 programme. Sure, there is a wooden mock-up languishing on the back-lot of a military airport in Forth Worth, Texas, but this canopy may be the real thing. Kettleman has seen small panels of the Lockheed SR-71 sell for more than $500,000 in online auctions. But he doesn't own a small panel. He owns an entire canopy of the A-12 (maybe). [UPDATE: Kettleman says: "The canopy has now been verified as authentic. It was a production unit for the A-12 Avenger II manufactured by McAir (Division of McDonnell Douglas). The canopy must have a hundred or so individual serial numbers and manufacturing data marked on it. These numbers and individual pieces have been verified as authentic parts from the program."

Kettleman's canopy is now for sale on eBay for $620,238. (Note: If you are still looking for our Christmas present, this would be really perfect. Just saying.)

That, of course, assumes Kettleman owns the real thing. And that's where the story gets complicated.

GovDeals told us that the canopy was posted by the aviation department of Purdue University. That's where the canopy has been for more than 15 years. Nobody in Purdue's aviation department knows how it got there. The canopy didn't even belong to the aeronautical engineering department, which operates research wind tunnels. The aviation department teaches students how to become pilots, not design canopies for stealthy fighter jets. One day it just showed up in the back of the hangar, and nobody touched it for more than 15 years. A couple months ago, the department decided to get rid of it, a Purdue spokesman said. They thought about selling it for scrap worth about $700, but decided it may be worth more at auction on the relatively obscure GovDeals site.

Litigation for the A-12 cancellation likely made a lot of lawyers very rich. But nobody will make a better return on the A-12 than Kettleman, if he finds a buyer. He may never snag a $620,000 offer, but he will surely get a lot more than $2,300.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 12-25-2011, 01:47 PM.

Re: Once in a lifetime find!

Here is a link for the canopy's eBay page:

Comment

The thing I find most interesting about this is that they were reusing the A12 designation. The A12 Cygnus is/was the original CIA/Lockheed design that was the predecessor to the SR-71 and the platform that they built the YF12 and the M12 (The launch vehicle for the failed D21 drone.) There is only one YF12 and one M12 left. The A12s are sprinkled around the US, there being 3 (off the top of my head) here in California. One in San Diego, one in LA (the only 2 seat, known as the Titanium Goose) and one in Palmdale at Blackbird air park.

Its also interesting that they were looking to use a flying wing design as an attack aircraft. I don't know if the seller is going to get is $600+K asking price for the canopy. I think I'd rather have the tail feathers off SR71 955 for about the same price. I have to admit, it would make some cool wall art.

Will

Comment

I don't have any A-12 canopies, but..............................
        Attached Files

Comment

Now a pair of SR71 canopys are a nice find. Which aircraft are those off of? Or better yet, where were they found? The airframe can be figured out by the location where the canopies were found. I'd guess they weren't found out near area 51, so that gives us a likely choice of Edwards or Beale, or one of the two that crashed elsewhere in the western US.

Will

Comment

Found the nomenclature "A-12" interesting as well.

And yep, there's only one M/D combo in existence. I just gave a one hour talk on Monday to an audience at Seattle's Museum of Flight on the MD-21 program as MoF is home to that last airframe. Fascinating aircraft with an even more fascinating story. BTW, the program was called "Tagboard" and the "mother" ship was designnated M-21.

And to think at some point the smartest people in the room thought launching a drone from a top-mounted pylon between the vert stabs in straight and level flight was a good idea?!

Happy New Year All!
            Owen Ashurst
            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Hey Owen- Wish I could've been present f/your presentation at MoF. My old friends Marcus & Rita were MoF volunteers involved w/the recovery prep f/transport of their A-12 to Seattle, and the restoration f/display. They had alot of really cool stories they shared about researching about the aircraft & demating the wings to facilitate surface transport shipment (-they'd been told that wasn't feasible by others who'd went ahead & chopped the wings to get their a/c moved, but the MoF team went the extra mile & got a handle on how to do it fm old crew chiefs & spared the MoF's bird this indignity). Also got some great history on this airframe's history & 'the program' it was involved with, and a few small memento relics (i.e.- Titanium Dzus fasteners, etc.). Very cool indeed. The A-12 & SR-71 is my absolute favorite jet of alltime.

DBD

Comment

Thanks, Bucky. You missed the aviation event of the season!

Always enjoy talking about this a/c. And if the find here is true, what a score! Rare aviation artifact indeed! Hope he finds a VERY interested buyer!

Happy New Year my friend and to all AAFO'ers out there! Party on! (after your nap of course!)
                Owen Ashurst

Comment

I was just at the Boeing Field Museum on the 12th of this month, I hit Evergreen on the 13th and Castle on the 24th.

SR71 971 at Evergreen

The last time I saw 971 she was sitting with 980 and 956 at Edwards, later that day 980 took to the air for the very last time, Oct 1999.

960 however has seen better days. She deserves better.

Brian Shul has an interesting view of 960 sitting at Castle's museum in the epilogue at the end of his book "The Untouchables." (Yes I own a copy, I want a copy of "Sled Driver", but I cant afford it.) Its sad to see her sitting there, dusty, with the paint peeling, the tires deflated, and totally lifeless. 960 had the most hours of all the SR71s, and was the first to fly a mission over Vietnam. Perhaps someday she'll be moved inside and restored to her former glory.

Air Judge, I knew it was the m21, I just got the numbers swapped. I wish I could have been there to hear your talk. I'm a huge SR71/A12 fan, I know a litte about the various programs (Oxcart, Tagboard, Senior Crown) but no where near as much as I'd like to know.

Will
                  Last edited by RAD2LTR; 12-31-2011, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Hey Will,
                    Great shots and thanks for sharing. Next time you're at MoF in Seattle, ask for me on a Saturday AM (shift is 1000-1400). Love to chat with you. And thanks for being a guest at MoF. It's a terrific place to work...er, uh...volunteer! Been a Docent there for over 10 years doing tours, VIP events, and giving talks on various a/c.

Brian Shul puts on a great event each year there during Seafair Weekend (first weekend in August). He's a remarkable man with an even more remarkable life story.

And I agree...the Blackbird program is one of my favorites as well. Hard to imagine the program is almost 50 years old. Amazing...

Cheers,
                    Owen Ashurst

Comment

960 is the only Blackbird I ever left fingerprints upon. I have a lot of family in the Merced/Atwater area of California, nar that museum.

I doubt she or any other aircraft at Castle will ever go under a roof, unless someone puts up the money to do so, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
                        Hey Will,
                        Great shots and thanks for sharing. Next time you're at MoF in Seattle, ask for me on a Saturday AM (shift is 1000-1400). Love to chat with you. And thanks for being a guest at MoF. It's a terrific place to work...er, uh...volunteer! Been a Docent there for over 10 years doing tours, VIP events, and giving talks on various a/c.

Brian Shul puts on a great event each year there during Seafair Weekend (first weekend in August). He's a remarkable man with an even more remarkable life story.

And I agree...the Blackbird program is one of my favorites as well. Hard to imagine the program is almost 50 years old. Amazing...

Cheers,
                        It might be awhile. The only other time I was at the MoF was back when it first opened. It was just the wooden Boeing building and that was it. If I'm up there again on a Saturday, I'll be sure to look you up.

I was just passing through, I bought a car up in Vancouver ('88 BMW M3 with 70K miles) and was heading home with it. The plates on it will read HABU M3. The car has been all over the world, Germany (where it was built) US, Japan, Canada, and back to the US in that order. Since the first gen M3 is a pretty special car (50 National championships around the world, A German touring car championship, ect. I believe it was the most winning BMW platform in history.) I figure since the type is rare, purpose built by hand (as a race car first, street car 2nd), exotic there were enough parallels between the two that it fit.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by tele1 View Post
                          I don't have any A-12 canopies, but..............................
                          I didn't get a response to my last guess as to the origin of those "articles." My guess was YF-12.

Kevin

Comment

I am not understanding. These items are up on E-bay while ALL the retired Australian Air Force F-111's are to be chopped up and destroyed, later to be buried at a classified location due to technology transfer concerns ?
                            Is that one aircraft at the Boeing museum actually a CIA A-12 Blackbird?
                            Rampking

Comment

Dude are you serious?
                              It pains me too, but the simple fact of the matter is that they weigh whether or not the tech. is worth reproducing or not
                              (to other powers). That is the reason your Aardvarks are being cut up.

Any enemy that could ever possibly jump would NEVER be able to do anything like the mission profile / logistics of OUR SR-71 program.

Hell, we bankrupted the only other super power that ever existed over **** like this. Soo- why not let the world see how outright our stratigic supiority was all along???

As for your 111's, I'll miss them too. More than you could ever know.
                              Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Working...
                              X