Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT : Anyone have a spare F-104 Starfighter for sale ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT : Anyone have a spare F-104 Starfighter for sale ?

It appears there is a 'missing' F-104 Starfighter in the Netherlands...

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2011/12/.../?spt=mps&or=1

Bob

Re: OT : Anyone have a spare F-104 Starfighter for sale ?

Found it!

Comment

I wonder if there are still any 104s that are airworthy? I saw a TV show a few years back that featured a modified 104 that broke the sea level speed record at over 1000 mph. I'd love to see one fly at an airshow...

Comment

i think they are rather boring, they go real fast but take three states just to turn around. but hey, its a cool show to see once.
        bob burns
        ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
        "dont mess with texas"

Comment

I never grow tired of the Starfighter. And really, they only need large turning radius's at high speeds. They won't turn with modern jets of course (no "bank-and-yank" here), but the one's I saw were making turns almost within airfield limits (note that I said ALMOST... ). See video below for examples.

I still treasure memories of building a model of one in the 60's as a kid and then just sitting there, staring at and admiring it, amazed at how fast it looked even sitting still! I still think it's one of the most wicked-looking warbirds ever.

Originally posted by grampi View Post
          I wonder if there are still any 104s that are airworthy? I saw a TV show a few years back that featured a modified 104 that broke the sea level speed record at over 1000 mph. I'd love to see one fly at an airshow...

That would be Darryl Greenamyer's RB-104, and the flight you saw took place decades ago. Check out this thread for details: http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...ghlight=rb-104

I haven't seen an airshow-performing 104 since 1986 at Moffett Field, Calif. I missed a Reno appearance a decade and a half later.

The Moffett performance can be seen here:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YyZ1YO42-0[/YT]
          Last edited by AirDOGGe; 12-22-2011, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I loved when the Star fighters flew at the races a few years ago. I think the best part was hearing the big General Electrics screaming by. It brought back memories of the ANG RF-4's that flew out of Reno back in the day.
            Tony

Comment

Anyone have a spare F-104 Starfighter for sale ?

Found one: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-ornament.html

Comment

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !

Bob

Comment

I was doing aero testing on cars at the shuttle landing runway at kennedy space center and saw a F104 take off two weeks ago.

T38s too.

Comment

I may be getting a ride in one next month........not a guarantee.....but I will get some good film from the runway of it taking off, doing fly-bys, and landing.

Comment

VERY MUCH looking forward to that. Hope you get the ride (of your life).

Comment

Just LOVE the howl of a '79.

Hey Dogge: have you heard any info on a NASA 104 being restored at Moffet? I talked with a guy at the museum who was doing panel work on a Harrier and he said they were working on a 104. Any scuttlebutt?

Comment

Working...
                        X