Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mustang Quiz

Good-day,
    Alright, a little quiz for the mustang fanatics.

1.) Have any D-5 Models ever turned pylons? (Anywhere?)
    If so, which aircraft, where, and who?

2.) Which previously raced P-51(s) had any combat action?
    Details?

3.) Which mustang had an increased wing-span, at Reno instead of traditionally clipped wings for racing?

Have Fun!
    Joseph

Re: Mustang Quiz

question # 2 race 20 , ridge runner , 8th AF europe & el salvador maybe?

Comment

#2 Speedball Alice

Comment

Originally posted by ukmerlin View Post
        question # 2 race 20 , ridge runner , 8th AF europe & el salvador maybe?
        9th AF, Sweden and Nicaragua.

P-51D Mustang Survivor: 44-72483, N151DM, Hel-eter, Owner: Pat Harker, Based: Minneapolis MN - Status: Restoration, Registry Past: N6160U, N13410, N36DD, N38FF(ntu). World War II, North American P-51D-20NA Mustang survivor in civilian ownership

Comment

#44 Sparky
          USAAF, Indonesia
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
            #44 Sparky
            USAAF, Indonesia
            Ya beat me to it Leo. Sparknot was indeed in the USAAF at Foggia, Italy. A confirmed war vet with 2 kills. Also at the Indonesia whatever it was thing.

Comment

Shouldn't that be "Sparknought."
              No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
              http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

And then there's the lovely 1988 Reno qualifier, #19, Vendetta, the P-51D-25-NA,44-72922, of the 434th FS, 479th FG, 8th AF and known as "Scat VII" with Maj. Robin Olds.

Scat VII had somewhat different wings and horizontal than Vendetta, however, it seems.

Interestingly, another would be #19 highly modified Reno Racer was also a combat vet: P-51D-20-NA, 44-63675, now: N1751D, in early 70's as: N5452V (but NOT the same 5452V of Dave Allender that later became Miss America). This ex- 9th AF, 370FG, 402nd Squadron P-51D was mount of Lt. Bob Bohna as "Sierra Sue". Allender heavily modified this veteran Mustang (probably not realizing its combat history) but never got it to Reno.

Comment

Thank-you guys for the answers... A few on #2 that I didn't expect...

I'll answer #1, to the best of my knowledge, there has never been a complete -5 Model raced, anywhere, at least not in circles... Please prove me wrong!

I'll leave #3 open.... Any takers?

Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                    Thank-you guys for the answers... A few on #2 that I didn't expect...

I'll answer #1, to the best of my knowledge, there has never been a complete -5 Model raced, anywhere, at least not in circles... Please prove me wrong!

I'll leave #3 open.... Any takers?

Joseph
                    Actually, #3 is pretty easy. I've been sitting back letting everyone else take a crack at the answers. But a clue is "The reason Lyle Shelton had to use #70 his first year at Reno".

Comment

Jim Fugate,race 77. A mustang with extended outer wing panels for more gas storage for cross country racing.

Comment

Originally posted by MRE View Post
                        Jim Fugate,race 77. A mustang with extended outer wing panels for more gas storage for cross country racing.
                        Lyle Shelton tried to convince Fugate to give up the #77 for the 1969 season so he could use it on "Able Cat", but Fugate wouldn't do it. That is why the first year of the barn the future Rare Bear was #70.

Comment

Good stuff MRE, and thanks for the extra info Jim. Interesting!

Joseph

Comment

I believe this photo is courtesy of Bill Larkins. Jim Fugate's #77 at Reno 1968. If you look at the wingtip, you can see where the aileron ends and the 'extended' tips.
                            Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE= That is why the first year of the barn the future Rare Bear was #70.[/QUOTE]

"the barn"? Can you translate for us non-geeks?

Comment

Working...
                              X