• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RGJ 12/15/11 Article-Mike Houghton/RARA 2012 Event Update

FYI-Hot off the RGJ Press online today via Sierra Fox:

DBD

Re: RGJ 12/15/11 Article-Mike Houghton/RARA 2012 Event Update

Got my room contract signed,sealed and delivered at the Circus Circus!

Will be contacting my volunteers to see if they want their jobs again.
    Betty

Comment

This is an encouraging sign.

Comment

Reserved my golf cart again... I'm in .

Worst case we can all just get drunk at the hotel and race the go-carts at the Hilton.

Let's just go.

Tj
        Tom Johnson,
        Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
        www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

Originally posted by ShermB View Post
          Got my room contract signed,sealed and delivered at the Circus Circus!

Will be contacting my volunteers to see if they want their jobs again.
          Betty

I want my job in the unlimited pit area as always!!
          Rachel

Comment

Bucky,

Thanks for the link. Happy to read they have a plan B.

Comment

Originally posted by tjyak50 View Post
              Reserved my golf cart again... I'm in .

Worst case we can all just get drunk at the hotel and race the go-carts at the Hilton.

Let's just go.

Tj
              I like the way you think

Comment

Good to know something is in the works. Well, something official as opposed to all of us just showing up

Comment

REf: “... In the short term, (continuing the races) is about money."
                  I dont have a good idea about how badly Nevada wants an $85 mil. event, but I want it. And I dont think I could look myself in the mirror if this thing failed and I didnt at least try to help. RARA is a certain type of non-profit org that makes it a bit hard to donate to, I am told, but there might be a way that real fans who love this event can donate enough money to make a difference....maybe having a fan organization called "The Friends of Air Racing" that could become a sponsor....certain levels of donorship could produce certain levels of air race perks, for instance. Its just an idea but I am going to contact RARA and maybe they have considered this, maybe not...maybe there arent 1,000 air race fans that would be willing to contribute $100 to $1,000 bucks each. Maybe there are. What do you think? Are there enough fans that would dontate $1,000 for say, special credetials and a ride around the pylons in a T-6? Say for $100 you get your pic taken in the cockpit of Stega?
                  What do you say?

Comment

Heck yes, I'm in!

Comment

My wife and I could do a couple hundred. A pic in an unlimited would be cool but I'd do it for a handshake.
                      Sky Critter

Comment

Wow! Two real air race fans! Thanks guys! Here is what I am going to do. I am going to write a contact person in RARA and ask them point blank if they think having a "Friends of the air races" organization that could give them money to help make the races happen...in effect, become one of their sponsors, has some validity. I am lucky enough in life to be able to give $1,000 IF I WAS ASSURED THAT THE RACES WOULD TAKE PLACE EVEN FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS A YEAR. I know that not every race fan can give one or two percent of their salery. Times are tough and they are going to get tougher. That is why there would be various levels of donations. Just like friends of PBS, just like friends of figure skating.
                        I would think that, just like in the world of figure skating, the racing community would come together and have gifts and perks for those that donnated....These could be many and varied....for instance, Who wouldnt like to attend an hour lecture on air racing by J. Penney and his daughter? I know there are many of us that have issues with RARA and their use of funds in the past. Heck, I have issues with the way my government spends my money and runs the country. But I am still an American and I am still an air race fan and if I try and fail to save air racing, thats a shame but at least I tried....
                        How much effect could a 1,000 fans have? Maybe only $100,000....but maybe more.....if 1,000 fans wont contribute $100 to keep the races alive every year, then maybe the races are not that important to them.
                        For me, the races are worth much more and indeed I spend quite a few dollars to come down from Spokane for 9 days....I will let you know when and if RARA answers me and what they say. Till then, you might think about what the air races mean to you and what you would like in return in the way of being recognized as a member of FOAR. Free programs and pit passes, cockpit photos, T-6 rides around the pylons....pylon visits, high G club passes....nothing would be off the table.

Comment

Working...
                        X