Clear All

• OT: Rutan version of "retirement"

Paul Allen and Burt Rutan are back/still in the space game:

Re: OT: Rutan version of "retirement"

Very cool! I can't wait to see it fly.
    Tony

Comment

I still think Rutan has set his sights on Mars. I would like to see a design from him for a Mars lander as this is quite a tricky thing to achieve without using a very large mass of fuel for entering orbit and landing under rocket power alone.

I am sure that he could achieve a variable geometry craft that could aerobrake into orbit and then glide to the surface. As the atmosphere is so thin, this would be quite an achievement. The fuel savings could be impressive though .

Comment

My first impression of the artists rendering(s), is it looks like the Spruce Goose cut down the center line, with center wing spar and pod added.

Comment

Be a part of the team to build the worlds biggest airplane and a real work horse for the future of commercial space travel, Scaled is hiring.

race 68

Comment

resume sent!
            Todd Smith

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee View Post
              My first impression of the artists rendering(s), is it looks like the Spruce Goose cut down the center line, with center wing spar and pod added.

How funny! I just entered this topic with the intention of making the same observation. I think it was the layout of the seemingly anorexic right fuselage, cockpit location plus the 3 engines on one wing that did it for me... A Deuce-Goose?

OK, this calls for a little Photoshop phun.......Pardon my sloppiness...It's a quickie:

Howard's second attempt...

It sure does a great job of balancing on that inline landing gear, eh?
              Last edited by AirDOGGe; 12-19-2011, 05:08 AM.

Comment

That SS 3 could also be used to carry food to starving in Africa...a huge pod inbetween full of vital nutritions...or other material stull like water in forest fires ?
                http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                X