RL's Extreme T-Cat Make-over... :>)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RL's Extreme T-Cat Make-over... :>)

Well, I think it's safe to say most everybody loves F7F Tigercats & watching (& hearing!) these big, bad & beautiful Grumman twin-engined fighters go racing around the pylons in competition-ever since Michael Brown introduced his Race #1-Big Boss Man (N805MB) to the world's-fastest motorsport as part of his 3-plane racing stable.

When Brown sold his T-Cat to race team owner/pilot-Rod Lewis (-along w/his two SF's as part of the deal), race fans were jazzed when Lewis fielded BOTH his Tigercats, so's his Texas pal & team mate-Stewart Dawson could share in the T-Cat racing experience @ Reno 2010 NCAR.

Warbird afficionados are used to seeing the rare F7Fs in their standard Navy & USMC dark blue variations (or in their later civil firebomber colors). For Reno 2011 NCAR this year, Rod Lewis surprised the air racing community by giving his Race #1 T-Cat a new bright silver paint job & name change f/a totally-different new look & identity for his sleek speedy sky machine and the plane's grand reappearance at the races this year gave us food for thought on which guise looked better: Dark or Light?

Big Boss Man became 'El Jefe' (Spanish f/The Chief or The Boss) & now has changed genders- to 'La Patrona' (the Boss Lady), and even its' U.S. Civil Registration 'N'-#: fm N805MB to N747MX.

Just curious on how many folks like Race #1's new make-over, or prefer the Tigercat's previous more-traditional look (not that it makes any differnce to Mr. Lewis, I'm sure). Here's some comparison pics of both schemes to ponder-over & let's hear your 2-cents on this topic (+ feel free to post your favorite Tigercat race shots to emphasize your preferences).

DBD
    Attached Files

Re: RL's Extreme T-Cat Make-over... :&gt

I liked the black scheme and was not real big on the idea of the silver repaint. Until I saw it in person. I love the new scheme equally s much as the old black.

Comment

Until they put 2 4360s on it I prefer the Navy Blue & then they can paint it like a real modified unlimited.
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

I like both. But the new silver look is pretty sharp!

Comment

The silver is top notch to me. The planes are a natural beauty in the first place. But the silver is a great looking choice.

TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
            I liked the black scheme and was not real big on the idea of the silver repaint. Until I saw it in person. I love the new scheme equally s much as the old black.
            Felt the same way but if I had two of them, it wouldn't be a tough decision to paint one silver.

Comment

I like the Silver hands down.

Comment

"What's your favorite color?"

"Silver...no blue!"

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh..."

For us not-quite-so-good photo-istas, the silver is easier to shoot. Easy on the eyes too.

Love shot #2 Bucky. Great work.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ignomini; 12-13-2011, 02:22 PM.
                No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Great comments all & thanks Ignomini (Hey, Robert-you're a great photog yourself). I agree w/your shooting note & it would definately be a challenge getting the right exposure down if you had to shoot both the silver & the navy/midnite blue T-Cats flying together in formation (or dueling together out on the pylons), huh?

That's what we were all thinking back when Gary Levitz showed-up w/his P-38 painted jet black that year, to race w/Lefty Gardner's 'White Lightnin' (-until the gear retract handle 'boo-boo' took Gary's bird out of competition prematurely, before we got to take-on the photo challenge opportunity of shooting that pair of black & white race birds-which fm past experience would've likely-been racing against each other at some point during race week that year).

DBD
                  Last edited by BuckyD; 12-13-2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
                    That's what we were all thinking back when Gary Levitz showed-up w/his P-38 painted jet black that year, to race w/Lefty Gardner's 'White Lightnin' (-until the gear retract handle 'boo-boo' took Gary's bird out of competition prematurely, before we got to take-on the photo challenge opportunity of shooting that pair of black & white race birds-which fm past experience would've likely-been racing against each other at some point during race week that year).
                    You get any pics of Double Trouble that year, Bucky? I think you need to post them........just sayin'.

Comment

Hey, I'll get right on it, Brad... (later thread)

DBD

Comment

Working...
                      X